Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"House of Wax" Reviews/Discussion - 2015 Horror Challenge: Day 23

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-15, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

House of Wax (1953)

Selected by clckworang

IMDB ENTRY

ON DAILYMOTION

ALYXSTARR LINK

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2015 DISCUSSION | 2015 LISTS

Last edited by Chad; 10-01-15 at 07:47 PM.
Old 10-20-15, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,079 Likes on 654 Posts
Re: "House of Wax" Reviews/Discussion - 2015 Horror Challenge: Day 23

This one is a classic. I still enjoy it and Vincent Price is excellent in it. It does seem to get better with every viewing. I forgot Charles Bronson was in this in an early role. The guy has serious guns and could kick your ass just by looking at you. One of these days I hope to see it in 3D.

The DVD from Netflix also gave me the original 1933 Mystery Of The Wax Museum and while the 1953 movie apes it shot for shot, I think the remake still gets the edge due to Vincent Price. The '53 version also seems a little creepier.

I would still recommend seeing the 1933 version if you haven't seen it. The production values are extremely good for a movie of its time. Also, there is a wise-cracking dame in it that puts men in their place and shoots out smarty-pants dialogue at 90 miles a minute. You will either love her or you will hate her.
Old 10-23-15, 04:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I would still recommend seeing the 1933 version if you haven't seen it. The production values are extremely good for a movie of its time. Also, there is a wise-cracking dame in it that puts men in their place and shoots out smarty-pants dialogue at 90 miles a minute. You will either love her or you will hate her.
Glenda Farrell. She was the wise-cracking, hard-boiled dame in a string of pictures in the 30s and 40s, including headlining as Torchy Blane in B-movies that turn up on TCM. She's one of my favorite Pre-Code actresses.

House of Wax is such a fun movie, although kids today will probably find it too tame for their liking. Vincent Price is at his arch best as the crippled sculptor commenting on his statues.
Old 10-23-15, 06:27 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

I'm trying to remember if I've ever not enjoyed Vincent Price in a film. Even if the film stinks, his parts are worth watching.

I really want this 3D blu-ray, but the price never seems to get to my below $20 price point.
Old 10-23-15, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,079 Likes on 654 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
I'm trying to remember if I've ever not enjoyed Vincent Price in a film. Even if the film stinks, his parts are worth watching.
Totally agree.
Old 10-23-15, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

What surprised me on the 1933 version was that it was in color. Somewhat rare for a 1933 film.

If you can get this in 3D, it's well worth $20 or so. This plus Creature From The Black Lagoon are two of my favorite 3D presentations from the classic 50's era. Both blow away modern day 3D movies.
Old 10-23-15, 10:36 AM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

I've never seen this film in 3-D, but as others have stated you can't find a film with Vincent Price that isn't worth watching. Frank Lovejoy, Phyliss Kirk, Dabbs Greer and especially Charles Bronson add to the fun. I also really enjoyed Carolyn Jones role, although it is too short. A true classic.
Old 10-23-15, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddie W
What surprised me on the 1933 version was that it was in color. Somewhat rare for a 1933 film.
Yes, that surprised me too when I last saw it. Though, like the previous year's Doctor X, it's an odd primitive type of two-strip color. Everything green and red (though the orange fire looks very nice).

If you can get this in 3D, it's well worth $20 or so. This plus Creature From The Black Lagoon are two of my favorite 3D presentations from the classic 50's era. Both blow away modern day 3D movies.
Just be warned ... there are a few silly intrusive gimmicky "in your face" 3D shots. Certainly forgivable when 3D was just starting. I was much more impressed with how Creature use 3D. Less gimmick shots, more integrated with the overall cinematography to give a sense of immersion in the locations. Highly recommended to check out. Most modern 3D movies can take lessons from how Creature used it.
Old 10-24-15, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 229 Likes on 166 Posts

This one is a classic. I still enjoy it and Vincent Price is excellent in it. It does seem to get better with every viewing. I forgot Charles Bronson was in this in an early role. The guy has serious guns and could kick your ass just by looking at you. One of these days I hope to see it in 3D.
Amazingly enough, this was my first time to see it. I've seen pieces of it over the years, and I've had the DVD for probably a decade (and even watched the OTHER side of the disc for a previous Challenge), but I'd never gotten around to watching the film until tonight.

I really want this 3D blu-ray, but the price never seems to get to my below $20 price point.
Even though I had the DVD, I really wanted to buy the 3D Blu-ray of this, but I never made it a priority. When it came up as a subset pick, I decided that I'd find the best price that I could on it and buy it. Luckily, there was a like-new copy for sale on Amazon Marketplace for a little less than $22, so I snagged it. It was TOTALLY worth the price.

I absolutely concur. While there were a few gimmicky shots, which, I have to admit, I enjoyed thoroughly (with the paddleball guy being the most obvious example, but having the Follies girl thrust her butt right in my face was pretty nifty as well), I was amazed at the depth exhibited in the film. It was particularly noticeable in the street shots, especially when Vinnie was chasing Phyllis Coates after murdering Carolyn Jones.

I also thought that a shot near the end, when Charles Bronson lurches into frame from the bottom, was really ingenious. I actually let out a gasp when it happened. I've seen that sort of shot dozens of times and it's never been noteworthy, but the 3D added an element of true surprise that startled me.

I really, really enjoyed the 3D version of House of Wax.
Old 10-24-15, 06:27 AM

^ So you're the one that bought that $22 copy I had in my cart!
Old 10-24-15, 11:01 AM

Received 229 Likes on 166 Posts

Um...these are not the dr...um...pay no attention to the man behind...um....

Probably so.
Old 10-25-15, 12:05 AM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Vincent Price is great in this, I enjoyed it more than the original. It's too bad there aren't a lot of wax house displays anymore, it seems like it's be fun to scope one out.
Old 10-25-15, 05:31 PM

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee

Just be warned ... there are a few silly intrusive gimmicky "in your face" 3D shots. Certainly forgivable when 3D was just starting...
Next someone'll be telling me the ball-hitting barker was only there for the 3D...! Popcorn, indeed.
Old 10-25-15, 05:33 PM

Pitchforks & torches time..?
Old 10-25-15, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Vincent Price is great in this, I enjoyed it more than the original. It's too bad there aren't a lot of wax house displays anymore, it seems like it's be fun to scope one out.
Does anyone know where the wax figures came from? I assumed most were just actors told to stand still, but then many of them melted...

That was a lot of effort to go to just to destroy them! Worked well, but... a lot of effort.
Old 10-25-15, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by ntnon
Pitchforks & torches time..?
No, that'd be for a Karloff movie.
Old 10-26-15, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

The DVD from Netflix also gave me the original 1933 Mystery Of The Wax Museum and while the 1953 movie apes it shot for shot, I think the remake still gets the edge due to Vincent Price. The '53 version also seems a little creepier.

and, it's a flipper.....
Old 10-26-15, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

House of Wax was awesome! Not sure why I'd never gotten around to seeing it before, but it's probably my favorite first-time watch this month.

I didn't realize Bronson was Igor. I'll have to go back and look at him more closely.

I'm a bad person for getting a little... worked up when Phyllis Kirk was nekkid.

I think I got the Paris Hilton version free and still have it around somewhere.

I watched it on the TCM Classics: Horror disc, and you can tell they used the same authoring because the disc promises the 1933 version on the flip side even though that is actually The Haunting.
Old 10-26-15, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

I got the Blu-ray for Christmas or my birthday or something and haven;t watched it yet. I had just borrowed it from the library so I didn't feel like watching it again so soon. But I should really check this out again. I have the Paris Hilton version saved on my DVR so maybe I'll make a triple feature out of it with that and the 1933 version (which I have yet to see).

And I agree with the general consensus... I cannot recall ever not enjoying seeing Vincent Price on screen.