Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Dance of the Dead" Reviews/Discussion - 2015 Horror Challenge: Day 19

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 09-22-15, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Dance of the Dead (2008)

Selected by CrazyMat

IMDB ENTRY

ON STAGEVU

ALYXSTARR LINK

ALYXSTARR LINK WITH COMMENTARY

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2015 DISCUSSION | 2015 LISTS

Last edited by Chad; 10-01-15 at 07:42 PM.
Old 10-19-15, 10:09 AM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Re: "Dance of the Dead" Reviews/Discussion - 2015 Horror Challenge: Day 19

A very good gory movie, only so-so as a comedy. It kind of reminded me of '80's style at times, the rock group was a good touch and the cemetery caretaker had potential. I enjoyed it.
Old 10-19-15, 05:30 PM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts

As far as low budget indy Zom-Coms go, this one was really good. I enjoyed it a lot more than the earlier subset film Zombies of Mass Destruction.

I thought the comedy was decent. Even though some of jokes fell flat, quite a few were hilarious.

The zombie action was excellent, and the gore was well done. Although the corpses flying out of the graves was a little over the top.
Old 10-19-15, 07:08 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 675 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
As far as low budget indy Zom-Coms go, this one was really good. I enjoyed it a lot more than the earlier subset film Zombies of Mass Destruction.

I thought the comedy was decent. Even though some of jokes fell flat, quite a few were hilarious.

The zombie action was excellent, and the gore was well done. Although the corpses flying out of the graves was a little over the top.
Pretty much all of this. I enjoyed it more than I expected.

The commentary track (thanks Alyxstarr!) was decent; not a lot of in depth discussion, but the guys were very energetic and there was rarely a break in their conversation. I'd be interested in more films from them.
Old 10-19-15, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

I watched this earlier in the month and can echo most of your thoughts. This plays all the time on Showtime, and I had been tempted many times to record it but never did until it was a subset pick. I was not expecting much, but it was an enjoyable watch. I don't see myself buying it, but it was good.
Old 10-19-15, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by orlmac
A very good gory movie, only so-so as a comedy. It kind of reminded me of '80's style at times, the rock group was a good touch and the cemetery caretaker had potential. I enjoyed it.
Very 80s - it seemed at several points that it was trying to be The Breakfast Club..bing Zombies to Death.

Which isn't a bad idea, but it wasn't quite polished or capable enough to live up to that. And the stereotypes were too twee for me. Particularly ConfederateFlag Coach... who inexplicably DID NOT have a hundred rifles and machine guns..! Curiouser and curiouser.

I couldn’t work out the Cemetery Guy - he was there before and after, but otherwise... absent, wasn't he?

Not bad, not great. Also Sci Fi Club members being weird, incompetent and fairly cowardly is a shorthand that is not necessarily wrong, but definitely lazy and casually insulting.

Last edited by ntnon; 10-19-15 at 09:02 PM.
Old 10-19-15, 10:38 PM

Received 224 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave

As Trevor said, this pretty much is what I was going to come here and say...except that I thought that the zombies skyrocketing out of the graves and hitting the ground running was really neat-o keen. I also loved that one of the characters was a redneck backyard brawler. I thought that he was going to be another stereotype, but he turned into my favorite character. I was sort of disappointed to see him go so early.

It's not perfect, but it was MUCH better than I expected it to be. I'll watch it again in the near future.
Old 10-20-15, 12:38 AM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

I wish the zombies flying out of their graves had kept up; I could watch an entire film of just that and it's a clever idea that gets dropped too soon. Zombie frogs, yes!! [another gag too short lived] The freshly turned zombies making out and ravaging each other affectionately in the bathroom might be the most memorable zombie scene so far this month.

The prom dresses and tuxedos yield some nicely iconic imagery.

I really like the awkward teenagers underdog part even if much of the humor is hit or miss... but DotD is whole heartedly full force with the humor and it comes out more earnest - it's not just some sight gags but the whole spirit of the movie overexaggerating high school stereotypes that sells the chemistry. DotD distills down the 'us against the world' up yours of high school youth to new extremes inserting radioactive rocket launched zombies in place of society.

More films need dramatic music pumping weapon crafting montages; those segments were silly but helped the vibe a lot.

The make up effects look cheaper than I remember.

Dance of the Dead > Idle Hands.
Originally Posted by ntnon
I couldn’t work out the Cemetery Guy - he was there before and after, but otherwise... absent, wasn't he?
Militant gym teacher was my least favorite character. The cemetery groundskeeper is great and reminds me a little of Cemetery Man (I wonder if that's homage). The wraparound with him setting up zombies in the cemetery then cleaning up at the end added a nice 'groundhog day' cycle element suggesting this was just mundane daily work for the guy even if our heroes were unaware.

I really like the ending how the characters just drive off to get pancakes...

Originally Posted by rbrown498
I also loved that one of the characters was a redneck backyard brawler. I thought that he was going to be another stereotype, but he turned into my favorite character.
I also especially like the repressed macho over compensating hill billy. He had to die like that though, nature of the character... besides before that point no other meaningful/identifiable characters died (if you count the biology teacher or tool boyfriend, but they barely had speaking roles) so it would have been lame for them to have a magically casualty free zombie invasion. The zombies liking music bit was already a bit weak, even if it lent nicely to the prom theme.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-20-15 at 12:50 AM.
Old 10-20-15, 01:48 AM

Received 224 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Dance of the Dead > Idle Hands.
Whoa there, cow. Don't be smack talking 'bout Idle Hands. Dance of the Dead is good, but Idle Hands has Jessica Alba in both boy shorts AND a little tiny angel costume. Instant win. Add in Mick and Pnub, and you've got a top-five horror comedy. Go go buffalo!
Old 10-20-15, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

How many zom-coms do they have to make before we join hands across America?
Old 10-20-15, 02:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty much what I can say has already been said. Although I like both Idle Hands and Dance of the Dead. The caretaker part could have been a homage to Cemetery Man, the part where he said AL Hell which I thought was both pretty funny and a dead giveaway; that this happens all the time and he's tired of it.
Old 10-22-15, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,058 Likes on 641 Posts

I wasn't looking forward to this one due to being zombied to death over recent years but it was actually enjoyable. Not great but I found it more enjoyable than Wyrmwood and head and shoulders above Zombies Of Mass Destruction.

The zombies exploding out of the graves was a cool touch and it seemed the zombies exploded when they came to life but then super slow when the script called for it. The humor was hit and miss but mostly hit. Decent acting from a lot of unknown kids. It was just missing some boobies.
Old 10-22-15, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,058 Likes on 641 Posts

I forgot to add that I thought the Coach was pretty funny but just couldn't place where I had seen him recently. Looked him up on the IMDB.

He was one of the kids in Sleepaway Camp III that I watched earlier this month.
Old 10-29-15, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
How many zom-coms do they have to make before we join hands across America?
Agreed. A couple of funny moments, as others pointed, like the pop up zombies and make out zombies (I don't blame the guy either, though I would have gotten myself a bit more than a make out and ducked out) but the characters seem too one dimensional and a few quite annoying. This movie has been done before (and much better) that it loses its appeal. Man do I wish for some good slasher films to start making the rounds again.