Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"The House by the Cemetery" Reviews/Discussion - 2015 Horror Challenge: Day 17

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 09-22-15, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

The House by the Cemetery (Quella villa accanto al cimitero) (1981)

Selected by DaveyJoe

IMDB ENTRY

ON HULU

ALYXSTARR LINK

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2015 DISCUSSION | 2015 LISTS

Last edited by Chad; 10-01-15 at 07:39 PM.
Old 09-23-15, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Re: "The House by the Cemetery" Reviews/Discussion - 2015 Horror Challenge: Day 17

Old 10-10-15, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts
Re: "The House by the Cemetery" Reviews/Discussion - 2015 Horror Challenge: Day 17

More films should start out with a gory intense sequence like the knife through the head (especially chased by that haunting music) -I've seen several films that needed a 'hook' like that earlier. I think that scenes exemplifies what is wrong with House By the Cemetery - it's got epic gore but that seems really mismatched for a slow burn 'haunted house' style film. So much of the film is boring expanding on plot that is thin just to justify the zombie. Dr Freudstein has got to be the most cartoonish name for a gore drenched zombie villain, and maybe one of the most gnarly looking of cinematic zombies with the dried skin face. The "no biggie, every house down here has a tomb in the living room" alone almost makes up for the boredom that is most of House By the Cemetery. Yeah, Bob!
Old 10-17-15, 09:36 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

Is it bad that I wanted Bob to get caught by the zombie?
Old 10-17-15, 07:08 PM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Is it bad that I wanted Bob to get caught by the zombie?
No, that kind of sums up the problem with this movie. I loved the gore effects and some scenes are very intense but it lacks characters that I care about and the story is inconsistent and full of holes. Still, it was a good example of how much I used to like Vestron films.
Old 10-17-15, 11:03 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I personally love the US movie poster

Old 10-17-15, 11:33 PM

Received 219 Likes on 161 Posts

Not a fan of Fulci, not a fan of this film. I did, however, enjoy seeing actress Ania Pieroni as Ann; she played the insanely hot music student with the cat in Argento's Inferno.
Old 10-18-15, 12:19 AM

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by rbrown498
Not a fan of Fulci, not a fan of this film. I did, however, enjoy seeing actress Ania Pieroni as Ann; she played the insanely hot music student with the cat in Argento's Inferno.
Was Ann supposedly to be casually evil, or not..? She seemed to be being set up as a pawn, but... wasn't.

Like Norman burning evidence for no real reason.

This was enjoyably crap, with a firm emphasis on "crap". Bob was particularly irritatingly stupid, but I can't believe there's a better exemplar of "don't go into the cellar" out there! EVERY. SINGLE. PERSON. Just wanders down and gets shut in...!
Old 10-18-15, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts

Bob is so unbelievably irritating, but that's actually one of the reasons I like this movie. I used to hate Fulci. Maybe hate is too strong of a word, but I at least strongly disliked his films. Then I don't know what happened, but something finally clicked for me. I now consider myself a fan but will admit that few of his films even rise to the level of good, though pretty much all of the ones I've seen have inspired moments. This one is no different. There are some great kills and atmosphere, but the story as a whole is a bit underwhelming. I guess it's typical Fulci.
Old 10-18-15, 03:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Nice seeing this one again.

Bob often reminded me of a minature Liv Ullman. And if you didn't know (Although his screams were a hint) he was dubbed by a woman.

This got two jump scares out of my dog (Who was sleeping on my lap) The bat attack and one of Bob's high-pitched yelps in the basement.

I really need to get the blu-ray of this.
Old 10-18-15, 10:39 AM

Received 219 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by ntnon
Was Ann supposedly to be casually evil, or not..? She seemed to be being set up as a pawn, but... wasn't.

Like Norman burning evidence for no real reason.
That's your first mistake, ntnon--you're expecting some sort of logic from a Fulci film. Can't do that. Doesn't work that way.
Old 10-18-15, 01:59 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

That's your first mistake, ntnon--you're expecting some sort of logic from a Fulci film. Can't do that. Doesn't work that way.
That's what I've learned too. Still love watching his films occasionally though.
Old 10-19-15, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Nice seeing this one again.

Bob often reminded me of a minature Liv Ullman. And if you didn't know (Although his screams were a hint) he was dubbed by a woman.
Ooohhhh.... I was thinking that half the cast seemed to have been dubbed somehow, so that makes sense.

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
This got two jump scares out of my dog (Who was sleeping on my lap) The bat attack and one of Bob's high-pitched yelps in the basement.
The hand bat was.... um... something. It was certainly something!
Old 10-19-15, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think most Italian movies dub everyone's voices.
Old 10-19-15, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
You can always find (Or rather, hear) one highly identifiable voice in these films: Nick Alexander. He's the guy that always sounds nasally congested.

He's been:
Al Cliver's voice in Zombie 2
George Hilton's voice in Raiders of Atlantis
Ivan Rassimov's voice in Jungle Holocaust
A cop in Cannibal Apocalypse

I just recently heard him as an (Offscreen) news reporter in Nightmare City.
Old 10-19-15, 08:06 PM

Have to remember that..! It was baffling because I couldn't even see any attempt at sense... and there's usually at least a passing stab at coherence in most films, however nonsensical they wind up. Here.... dangling threads and plotholes all over the place, even discounting the "don't go in the cellar" foolishness. Need to note directors more, I guess. Thanks.
Old 10-19-15, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by clckworang
But the mouth movements were almost right, so it was weird... maybe it was an illusion.
Old 10-19-15, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There you go. That explains all the plot holes and nonsensical happenings. It was all an illusion.
Old 10-25-15, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,009 Likes on 615 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
More films should start out with a gory intense sequence like the knife through the head (especially chased by that haunting music) -I've seen several films that needed a 'hook' like that earlier. I think that scenes exemplifies what is wrong with House By the Cemetery - it's got epic gore but that seems really mismatched for a slow burn 'haunted house' style film. So much of the film is boring expanding on plot that is thin just to justify the zombie. Dr Freudstein has got to be the most cartoonish name for a gore drenched zombie villain, and maybe one of the most gnarly looking of cinematic zombies with the dried skin face. The "no biggie, every house down here has a tomb in the living room" alone almost makes up for the boredom that is most of House By the Cemetery. Yeah, Bob!
That was exactly what I hated about this movie. The first minute opens up with tits and an awesome kill. Then it devolves into a boring mess with a really obnoxious child.
Old 10-26-15, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

So that's where the Bob picture comes from. Boy is that kid annoying...