Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Wyrmwood: Road of the Dead" Reviews/Discussion - 2015 Horror Challenge: Day 9

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 09-22-15, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Wyrmwood: Road of the Dead (2014)

Selected by Gobear

IMDB ENTRY

ON NETFLIX INSTANT

ALYXSTARR LINK

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2015 DISCUSSION | 2015 LISTS

Last edited by Chad; 10-01-15 at 07:26 PM.
Old 10-08-15, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts
Re: "Wyrmwood: Road of the Dead" Reviews/Discussion - 2015 Horror Challenge: Day 9

I think crowdfunding is interesting and was surprised to hear Wyrmwood was made after a successful Indie Go Go campaign - link for what it's worth: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/w...-zombie-film#/
Old 10-09-15, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,066 Likes on 646 Posts
Re: "Wyrmwood: Road of the Dead" Reviews/Discussion - 2015 Horror Challenge: Day 9

I watched this about a month ago and thought it was decent, especially for the budget.
Old 10-09-15, 08:52 AM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Wow... Wyrmwood has a morbid zaniness that doesn't give up. It was a lot of fun, deliciously 'too much' with it's oddly flammable zombie blood, telekinetic control, etc. I love the convincing sense of post-apocalyptic zombies everywhere. The spaghetti western style face/eye close-ups got over used but most actors were surprisingly competent for the over the top material and scenes were well staged. The gritty detail work on the costumes, etc saved the day because while stuff often looked fake, it was rarely distracting. I really liked the aboriginal slacker character and the nail gun shootout.
Old 10-09-15, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Brooke

A more appropriate title for this movie would have been "KTFO" since that happens quite a bit throughout.

The film's energy kept me interested all the way through and I loved the idea of flammable blood.
Old 10-09-15, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

Best part was the Med Kit.
Old 10-09-15, 08:22 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

I don't know, the humor from the aboriginal guy didn't strike me as funny, and I never developed any sympathy for any of the characters. The action and gore were decent, but the story just never grabbed me. I was ready for it to be over half way thru.
Old 10-09-15, 08:36 PM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts

I didn't know anything about the movie going in. Based on the posters, I was expecting a post apocalyptic Mad Max kinda flick. So I was surprised, but it was a lot of fun. Glad I watched it.
Old 10-09-15, 09:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had fun watching this and had me chuckling through out the film. This is a definite keeper for my collection , and I believe this will become a classic that people will enjoy in the future
Old 10-09-15, 09:49 PM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

I definitely enjoyed some of the unique ideas, the flammable blood, fuel turning to water (or at least no longer powering things), the ability to control the zombies and so on. It was unlike anything I had seen before so I enjoyed it. It was a great pick from that standpoint.
Old 10-09-15, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

I felt drained after watching it. A real assault of the senses. My favorite character was the mad doctor in the hazard suit. It reminded me of the Japanese zombie movie Versus, but not as fun.
Old 10-10-15, 01:02 AM

Received 224 Likes on 164 Posts

At this point, I will step in and be the (almost) lone dissenter (along with Trevor, sort of). I really, really didn't like this film.

1. It was over-directed to the point of near-incoherence in many scenes, yet it couldn't find a tone and stick with it for more than a few minutes.
2. Unlike some of you, I thought that running a vehicle off of zombie breath was a truly stupid idea.
3. I hate the use of CGI when practical effects are more believable, and the CGI-related thing that I hate most of all is CGI blood.

For me, this was the first absolute loser of the Challenge this year. I'm about ready for zombies to go back into their graves for a good, long while.
Old 10-10-15, 01:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just finished this a while ago...I give it a 4 out of 5 due to the fact that it's different and kept me entertained watching the whole way through. I felt it had good zombie action and unique methods of zombie control/flammable blood etc. like others have mentioned and that's mainly what it's good for.
Old 10-10-15, 02:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not a typical Zombie movie. At first I did not think I was going to like it as it started off a bit boring but it got better as it went along. At some points it felt like a horror/comedy (The flammable zombie breath and blood). Overall it turned out to be pretty good
Old 10-10-15, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Making the transition from watching Maggie beforehand and immediately going into this high-octane world was a bit much to process. But other than Brooke's time with the army doctor dragging on a little too long, the 'zombies as fuel' take was a refreshing change for the genre. Combustible gas zombies and zombie sensory perception, yeah! Look forward to a second viewing to hopefully take everything in.
Old 10-10-15, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Interesting movie, though kind of tired of zombies finally. It seemed like two different movies, one with the brother doing his thing and then the mad scientist part. Two very different types of movies going on. Thought the Dr./lead girl was the best showing as the brother part was kind of boring. Dug the ending and like how the lead girl was in charge. She was a total badass.
Old 10-12-15, 08:11 PM

Received 73 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Wow... Wyrmwood has a morbid zaniness that doesn't give up. It was a lot of fun...
Am I alone in (or slightly ..-ist for) thinking that the Australian/NZ accent lends itself to a natural sense of comedy when swearing...?! It sounds so much funnier and friendlier.

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
..most actors were surprisingly competent for the over the top material and scenes were well staged. The gritty detail work on the costumes, etc saved the day because while stuff often looked fake, it was rarely distracting. I really liked the aboriginal slacker character and the nail gun shootout.
The costumes were great, the matter-of-factness when people got bitten was interesting, and the father dealing with his daughter was all the bleaker for following The Mist so closely.

Also, the comedy was undercut by pathos and misery really well. Particularly the casual, avoidable and unnecessary death of the guy-with-a-truck so soon after stopping the main guy from killing himself.
Old 10-12-15, 09:19 PM

P.S. Hoping for a sequel.
Old 10-13-15, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,066 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by ntnon
P.S. Hoping for a sequel.
Already read they have ideas and are working on it. I believe that was mentioned in a recent issue of Rue Morgue.
Old 10-13-15, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Already read they have ideas and are working on it. I believe that was mentioned in a recent issue of Rue Morgue.
Excellent! Thanks for that.
Old 10-15-15, 08:57 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by rbrown498
At this point, I will step in and be the (almost) lone dissenter (along with Trevor, sort of). I really, really didn't like this film.

1. It was over-directed to the point of near-incoherence in many scenes, yet it couldn't find a tone and stick with it for more than a few minutes.
2. Unlike some of you, I thought that running a vehicle off of zombie breath was a truly stupid idea.
3. I hate the use of CGI when practical effects are more believable, and the CGI-related thing that I hate most of all is CGI blood.

For me, this was the first absolute loser of the Challenge this year. I'm about ready for zombies to go back into their graves for a good, long while.
No, you can mark me as a full-on dissenter to any love for this film. I pretty much agree with your points, except that I totally love zombie films and hope they continue forever.

I'll add that the CGI was pretty weak, the swearing was overdone, and the characters were so cliche it was embarrassing.
Old 10-15-15, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

This one left me sort of cold. It had some good action, but I just never felt it fully coalesced as a whole motion picture. There were different characters and events, but I never felt like it really had a story to tell. It had some good ideas, but something about it kept me from really embracing it.