Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Cold Prey" Reviews/Discussion - 2015 Horror Challenge: Day 6

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-15, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Cold Prey (Fritt vilt) (2006)

Selected by tarfrimmer

IMDB ENTRY

ON YOUTUBE

ALYXSTARR LINK

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2015 DISCUSSION | 2015 LISTS

Last edited by Chad; 10-01-15 at 07:17 PM.
Old 10-06-15, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: "Cold Prey" Reviews/Discussion - 2015 Horror Challenge: Day 6

I hope this turns out as good as what the internet is leading me to believe.
Old 10-06-15, 10:59 AM

Received 518 Likes on 373 Posts

It's available for streaming at Hulu and Shudder. But they're both the English dubbed version.
Old 10-06-15, 12:34 PM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

I elected to watch the Norwegian version rather than the English dubbed version. I couldn't find out what the additional four minutes were for the English version but decided to go with the original. I absolutely loved this movie. First, you have to love any movie where the murder weapon is a pickaxe. Second, I loved the irony of Mikal wanting to leave the guy with the broken leg behind but then he immediately gets his leg trapped in a beartrap (or something like that). The gore was minimal but the acting was good and I liked the characters they portrayed. I heartily recommend this movie!
Old 10-06-15, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

The villain is nicely mysterious with a great atmospheric snowscape. I love the female leads morality, that she doesn't just run giving her more depth. I find the first third of Cold Prey to be too formulaic and like an oddly different movie (the snowboards seem really pretentious trying to appeal to kids, but maybe I just don't know much about Norway culture; least convincing injury ever). What a great bittersweet romance moment near the end, the character development here stands out well and Cold Prey does a lot with limited cast.

I think the sequel, Cold Prey 2, is a better film - it's been criticized for being too much like Halloween II (including being a continuous sequel from the first occurring mostly in the hospital during the aftermath of the first, etc) but since much of the setup has been established here it goes straight to the action and focuses more on the final survivor.
Old 10-06-15, 04:13 PM

Received 518 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
I think the sequel, Cold Prey 2, is a better film
I agree. I think both are great slasher flicks. But I give the slight edge to Cold Prey 2.

Cold Prey 2 is available at Vudu if anyone wants to watch it. It's in the original Norwegian audio with English subtitles.

http://www.vudu.com/movies/#!content...-Fritt-Vilt-II
Old 10-06-15, 06:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I opted for the Norwegian version as well. I don't mind reading the subtitles at all. Of course if you listen in English and read some of these subtitles translations can be way off, but I believe the translations to be accurate for this film. Haven't ever seen either of the sequels to this.......I liked this slasher enough to try and watch the sequels as well........off topic I do believe that there are 2 Cold Preys up on YouTube of which one I do believe they are trying to charge to see.
Old 10-06-15, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I loved this film. Great FTV experience. If I'm in a life-or-death situation, that's the girl I want by my side.

I need to get a hold of part 2, as it seems to have a good recommendation here.
Old 10-06-15, 10:02 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 681 Likes on 457 Posts

As you all said, great film!
Old 10-06-15, 11:52 PM

Received 231 Likes on 168 Posts

I'm not ready to start being the lone dissenter, as I did enjoy the film, but I'm not quite as effusive in my praise of it as most everyone else seems to be. I would probably call it better-than-average, but it didn't grab me and shake me by the lapels like some other slashers did.

Like Dick said above, I probably need to watch at least the first sequel.
Old 10-07-15, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Two years back I managed to watch all 3. I agree that the second installation is better than the first. I do love the premise of youngsters stranded in the mountains when they come upon a ski lodge. Mayhem ensues!
Old 10-07-15, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,117 Likes on 684 Posts

I don't get the praise. I thought it was just okay. It was basically a Texas Chainsaw Massacre ripoff with a less interesting killer. Actually the killer was so bland that it almost ruins the movie. Go watch the first Wrong Turn if you want to see a better, modern TCM ripoff.
Old 10-07-15, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought Wrong Turn was a ripoff of The Hills Have Eyes, although I might be confusing it with some other movie.
Old 10-07-15, 12:18 PM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I don't get the praise. I thought it was just okay. It was basically a Texas Chainsaw Massacre ripoff with a less interesting killer. Actually the killer was so bland that it almost ruins the movie.
I don't disagree with you but still enjoyed Cold Prey more than you seem to have. I think it is the 'less interesting' killer that helps make Cold Prey effective; he's more 'wtf' mysterious creating a sense that anything could happen. While Texas Chainsaw Massacre is an undisputed classic Cold Prey apes it well enough and keeps viewers blind about the killers nature/motives. Unique to Cold Prey is the female "heroes" moral obligation, the subtle love story between her and the injured guy, and an arguably more claustrophobic setting. Also, it is neat how Cold Prey explains the villain in a sympathetic manner so seamlessly at the end building on foreshadowing from the intro credits.

Maybe some of the praise is overstated because 'good' modern slashers tend to be less common; Cold Prey is definitely not without it's flaws.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-07-15 at 12:31 PM.
Old 10-07-15, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just finished it. Thought it was an average slasher at best but better than the average Norwegian film I've seen. I wouldn't compare it to TCM. That one didn't really show anything graphic and didn't need to in order to scare people.

At least it didn't try to be funny and self-aware.
Old 10-07-15, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
Just finished it. Thought it was an average slasher at best but better than the average Norwegian film I've seen. I wouldn't compare it to TCM. That one didn't really show anything graphic and didn't need to in order to scare people.
Some young people, out looking for adventure, stumble upon a weird, deserted, place in the middle of nowhere and a killer starts offing them one by one. The entire general plot is lifted from TCM. I could get into more comparable specifics but don't really want to waste the time.
Old 10-08-15, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

I watched it with subtitles. Thought this was the best subset movie so far. It is interesting to hear the accents (at least accents to us Americans) and seeing how they do things compared to us Americans. Lots of little differences and silly laughs, but when we all get hurt, give us that liquor to smooth any pain haha. Loved the acting and the girls are beautiful. Just wish there was more backstory to the killer (did his parents just dump him and leave him for dead?). And was the lead actress now falling for the guy with the broken leg? I do admit, watching the guy leave the girl and the other guy behind was funny. Truth be told, he's right and if they stay they are f'd and the kid with the broken leg is probably f'd anyways. Can't really blame him on that part. I am wondering how they all knew each other.
Old 10-08-15, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 756 Likes on 492 Posts

I thought this one was really good, although I don't think I liked it as much of some of you. I just thought it was a really solid slasher film, and that's not nothing. I probably enjoy slashers more than any other subgenre of horror. It certainly could have been better, but it was very effective. It does make me curious for the sequels. Are these on Blu-ray? I haven't even bothered to check. I suppose I can look that up and answer my own question.
Old 10-08-15, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Some young people, out looking for adventure, stumble upon a weird, deserted, place in the middle of nowhere and a killer starts offing them one by one. The entire general plot is lifted from TCM. I could get into more comparable specifics but don't really want to waste the time.
Except TCM didn't invent that plot.
Old 10-08-15, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
Except TCM didn't invent that plot.
What movie is TCM a rip-off of? Serious question as I enjoy these types of movies and would like to see it, especially a pre-70's version.
Old 10-09-15, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I didn't say TCM ripped any movie off. People stumbling upon a strange place that is haunted, has a monster, or killer is hardly a brand new idea when TCM came out.
I could get into more comparable specifics but don't really want to waste the time.
Old 10-11-15, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 188 Likes on 131 Posts

I really enjoyed this one. It isn't ground breaking but the characters are pretty likable and act plausibly which is rare for a slasher film. It's a real shame that this doesn't appear to be available on BluRay in this region.
Old 10-11-15, 05:43 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 681 Likes on 457 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
I really enjoyed this one. It isn't ground breaking but the characters are pretty likable and act plausibly which is rare for a slasher film. It's a real shame that this doesn't appear to be available on BluRay in this region.
Great points. It's rare to have a modern slasher where the characters aren't all airheads or assholes; and the range of reactions are quite plausible.
Old 10-11-15, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
It's a real shame that this doesn't appear to be available on BluRay in this region.
True. I own the German Blu-rays of Cold Prey 1-3 but they don't come with English subtitles, though I have no problem reading and understanding the provided German subtitles. V/A are excellent on all three releases.
Old 10-11-15, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 188 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Great points. It's rare to have a modern slasher where the characters aren't all airheads or assholes; and the range of reactions are quite plausible.
I also liked the feeling of isolation caused by the setting, and the fact that one of them had a broken leg made them feel particularly vulnerable. The killer was scary but not too over the top. The film didn't remind me much of Texas Chainsaw Massacre, but more of 90s slashers like Scream and I Know What You Did Last Summer. The killer reminded me of the guy in the slicker from IKWYDLS. The scene where Ingunn is crawling towards her nearby friends, wounded and unable to cry out, was very similar to Drew Barrymore's death in Scream.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.