Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Intruder" Reviews/Discussion - 2014 Horror Challenge: Day 16

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-14, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Intruder (1989)

Selected by therja

IMDB ENTRY

ON HULU

ALYXSTARR LINK

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags are unnecessary in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2014 DISCUSSION THREAD | 2014 LIST THREAD

Last edited by Chad; 10-05-14 at 01:45 PM.
Old 09-28-14, 06:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: "Intruder" Reviews/Discussion - 2014 Horror Challenge: Day 16

This is such a fun movie. Any excuse to watch it again is welcomed. I bought the Blu-ray from Synapse a couple of years ago that included the DVD-r of the director's workprint (copy 250 of 500!) I think I watched that entire version. I'll probably do this one again with the commentary or invite a friend over for it. It's a party film and one to be shared. High recommendation.
Old 10-16-14, 07:42 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Bump since its today's film. Hope to watch soon.
Old 10-16-14, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The final girl: a poor man's Heather Graham?
Old 10-16-14, 06:47 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by therja
I was thinking it was an early her most of the film actually.
Old 10-16-14, 09:06 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

the workprint is pretty bad, no music, little 'effective' editing and some dialogue that is almost inaudible. You can see how and why further editing would refine the movie - by a lot.
Old 10-16-14, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
I was thinking it was an early her most of the film actually.
Maybe that was it... I was sure she was familiar, but she doesn't seem to be.

The twist was hardly unexpected (if bizarre), but the glossing-over of the ex-boyfriend's awfulness seemed a little bit of a leap. What struck me most was all the odd camera angles and shots: inside a phone, through a deliberately-placed bottle, etc. It was almost like an artsy experiment, but with less obvious subject matter!

I was surprised to see Ted Raimi in a small role... although Wikipedia says Sam was one of the others, and that it was Bruce Campbell at the end. Weird!
Old 10-16-14, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Sam Raimi was the butcher who gets put up on a meat hook! He looks pretty similar to Ted, maybe you thought both brothers were Ted.
Old 10-16-14, 10:25 PM

Ted has a skinnier face:

Old 10-16-14, 10:57 PM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

I love the gag where Ted Raimi is cutting food and they close in on the knife a few times until one of the close ups zooms out to the killer slicing through Ted's face. There's some nice gore altogether.

Apparently this is predated by a short called Night Crew; but I can't find video anywhere - could have been interesting.

Those first person shots really are effective.

I think this is the most unconvincing killer I've seen so far this challenge.
Originally Posted by Giles
the workprint is pretty bad, no music, little 'effective' editing and some dialogue that is almost inaudible. You can see how and why further editing would refine the movie - by a lot.
I'd been curious to see the workprint but now feel better about missing out on the 500 limited edition.
Old 10-16-14, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It was great seeing Jake from Evil Dead 2, he was probably the most likable character in Intruder:

Old 10-18-14, 12:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by therja
Renee Estevez should have been the final girl instead. She bit it too soon. Otherwise, a truly fun slasher that I still need to upgrade to Blu-ray. I have the Dragon DVD with the spoiler-happy cover art. My favorite bit is when the killer parallels the story he told earlier with the severed head.
Old 10-18-14, 01:25 AM

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Sam Raimi was the butcher who gets put up on a meat hook! He looks pretty similar to Ted, maybe you thought both brothers were Ted.
Always possible, but I think I can pick Mr Ted Raimi out of a crowd, whereas unless they're very very similar-looking, I wouldn't recognise Sam still..
Old 10-18-14, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by indiephantom
This is such a fun movie. Any excuse to watch it again is welcomed. I bought the Blu-ray from Synapse a couple of years ago that included the DVD-r of the director's workprint (copy 250 of 500!) I think I watched that entire version. I'll probably do this one again with the commentary or invite a friend over for it. It's a party film and one to be shared. High recommendation.
I believe I have the same copy of the film as I got it last year when I worked a convention that the director was in. Very nice guy. I enjoyed it the first time around, but the second viewing wasn't as good as the first. I did pick up catching the guest appearances this time, though. Still a very fun 80's film that I think doesn't get talked about enough. Love the comedy horror in the film.
Old 10-18-14, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
I love the gag where Ted Raimi is cutting food and they close in on the knife a few times until one of the close ups zooms out to the killer slicing through Ted's face. There's some nice gore altogether.

Apparently this is predated by a short called Night Crew; but I can't find video anywhere - could have been interesting.

Those first person shots really are effective.

I think this is the most unconvincing killer I've seen so far this challenge. I'd been curious to see the workprint but now feel better about missing out on the 500 limited edition.
to be fair, it's not flat out terrible, it's just a companion piece on how a director and editor can better a film when judicious editing is enacted.
Old 10-20-14, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,075 Likes on 650 Posts

I thought this movie was just "okay" which is much better than I thought of it a few years ago. I guess I missed some of the humor previously and just found it to be dumb...which it still is. There are some pretty good gags and decent gore in the film but the acting is horrible except for the killer.

I know the pedigree behind this movie but it just seems so very amateur compared to all the prior movies that had been completed by this particular group. It just puzzles me why it was made in the first place? I could see it getting done in the mid or late '70's when these guys were just getting started...but 1989?

My rating: **1/2 out of *****
Old 10-20-14, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This did seem a bit amateurish compared to what they accomplished with the Evil Dead films, especially since they had Sam Raimi on set to maybe help out a bit. Maybe it's just easier to go full on style and atmosphere in a isolated cabin in the woods than a brightly lit supermarket. My first job as a teenager was at a grocery store and I've always wanted to see a horror movie set in that location, it was fun seeing the killer get creative with all of the tools and gadgets sitting around.