Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review --- Evolution --- Review

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-02, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I expected big things from this movie, heck look at the stars in this movie. I love David Duchovny in X-files, I love Orlando Jones (the 7up guy) in all of his roles, I love Seann William Scott in Road Trip, I love Ivan Reitman movies and I just plain love Julianne Moore but that is as far is this mans love goes. I was semi-disappointed in this movie because it is a direct rip off of Ghostbusters. You have the bumbling good guys that eventually save the day; the military are the bad guys that hamper the heroes at every turn, monsters (not ghosts) roaming the country side harassing the townspeople, the scientists running in at the last second to save the day…. And on and on and on, I have seen this before in Ghostbusters.

The movie itself has great special effects; interesting story line and David, Orlando, Seann and Julianne make a great comedic team. There are some funny scenes especially with Orlando’s sphincter fetish witch kept me laughing throughout the entire movie. If you like Ghostbusters you should like this movie, plenty of special effects, technical jargon and some funny but crude scenes. The extras are pretty good including deleted scenes, a making of feature and don’t miss the alternative ending, it’s funnier than the movie ending.

There has been talk of the picture being bad on the DVD copy of this movie, but I did not see any distortion at all. This DVD also comes in Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS which is always a plus! All in all I would consider this for a purchase if I found it at the right price, there is no way I would pay full price for this movie. But hey when in doubt rent it.

DVDtalk Amazon Link

DVDtalk Half.com Link

Anybody else have any opinions?

Last edited by Lateralus; 01-01-02 at 07:23 PM.
Old 01-01-02, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really really like this movie, it's funny, entertaining and exciting... and the disc is top notch...well worth the price to get it... high rewatch value too...

MATT
Old 01-02-02, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

i loved this movie in theatres, and i love the DVD.

i hate to see people bashing it, but ah well, thats the way it goes

i do have to say that i found the picture quality grainy at times...in the darker cave scenes, ect...

-NiCK
Old 01-02-02, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

i also wanted to say that the musical score for this movie kicks a$$!

-NiCK
Old 01-02-02, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by NiCK Crush
i also wanted to say that the musical score for this movie kicks a$$!

-NiCK
Especially "Bombshell" by Powerman 5000!
Old 01-02-02, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw it in the theater, I bought it on DVD. I like it.
Old 01-02-02, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not bad. Good entertainment. I rented it. I'm not sure I would watch it over and over again like ID4 or Men in Black.

For me it was a rent, not buy.
Old 01-03-02, 02:35 AM
Banned

imo this was clearly one of the very worst movies of the year. The comedy is virtually nonexistant and Duchovny, whom I enjoyed on XF, basically sleepwalks like in his last seasons of playing mulder. Ghostbusters II was better than this, and that was an instantly forgettable film.
Old 01-03-02, 05:48 PM

The similarities to Ghostbusters is obvious but it's not quite the equal. The cast of Evolution are game enough and give it their best but they just lack the chemistry that the Ghostbuster's cast had. The creatures and FX are well done and entertaining. If you enjoyed films like Ghostbusters, Tremors and Men In Black I think you will enjoy Evolution. The DVD is not labeled a special edition but it would certainly qualify. There are a decent amount of deleted scenes, some short but entertaining featurettes, storyboard comparisons, photo gallery and audio commentary with cast and crew. One feature that the DVD has that I like is that you can view the commentary as a subtitle track. I've only seen this once before on Final Fantasy because the film-makers were speaking Japanese and the subtitle track translated it into English. Worth a rental if you enjoy this type of film but a definite purchase for those who are big fans of the movie.
Old 01-04-02, 01:07 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I watched the DVD last night and was disappointed. I wasn't expecting much from it in the first place though. Quite simply, it wasn't funny. It had a promising premise, but was handled in all the wrong ways.

For example,
Spoiler:
What kind of guy would start singing a song with a microphone when there is a giant dragon flying through a shopping mall?

Sure it was meant to be humerous, but it simply wasn't.

However, I will say to be sure to watch the deleted scenes, because the funniest scene in the movie was the alternate ending.
Old 01-05-02, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can still remember all of the EVOLUTION bashing that went on when this film was theatrically released. I have included my film review that was originally posted during its theatrical run. Those of you unsure about giving this flick a second look on DVD may want to take a look.

When your planet is about to "bite the big one," who ya gonna call? Ivan Reitman, the blockbuster director responsible for the GHOSTBUSTER'S franchise, TWINS, STRIPES and KINDERGARTEN COP, to name a few, is back with the sci-fi comedy romp, EVOLUTION. Starring David Duchovny, Orlando Jones, Seann William Scott and Julianne Moore, EVOLUTION once again
characterizes Ivan Reitman as a director clearly on a mission to tickle our funny bone.

The film follows the chaotic response of a group of hapless earthlings when a meteor carrying one-celled aliens crashes onto earth -and its traveler's begin to evolve at a terrifyingly expeditious rate. The film's visual appetite is top-notch, and engulf the screen with awe-inspiring brilliance. Supporting performances by Ted Levine and Dan Aykroyd round out the film's all-star cast. The fascination with sphincters and all things scatological makes EVOLUTION the summer's laugh-out-loud sensation, that will leave audiences reeling from the film's infectious, unabashedly witty script.

EVOLUTION arrives on DVD in yet another outstanding DreamWorks presentation; sporting a beautiful anamorphic widescreen transfer along with an aggressive DTS sountrack.
EVOLUTION has never looked or sounded better. The disc's special features include: commentary, deleted scenes, storyboard selections, visual effects featurette, and alternate ending.
I would highly recommend this DVD.
Old 01-05-02, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Geofferson
I watched the DVD last night and was disappointed. I wasn't expecting much from it in the first place though. Quite simply, it wasn't funny. It had a promising premise, but was handled in all the wrong ways.

For example,
Spoiler:
What kind of guy would start singing a song with a microphone when there is a giant dragon flying through a shopping mall?

Sure it was meant to be humerous, but it simply wasn't.

However, I will say to be sure to watch the deleted scenes, because the funniest scene in the movie was the alternate ending.
I have to agree here, why in the hell would he start doing that and why would the microphone be turned on?

And Yes the funniest scene of the movie was the alternate ending. HA... ending... get it?
Old 01-23-02, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Is there anyone else besides me that watched the alternate ending and thought that it was better (and not just a little) and funnier than the ending used?
Old 01-23-02, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I generally like dumb movies. I even enjoyed The Animal, Scary Movie 2, and even Joe Dirt, but Evolution was just pretty bad. There were a few funny moments, but overall I didn't like it too much.
Old 01-23-02, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by thgord
Is there anyone else besides me that watched the alternate ending and thought that it was better (and not just a little) and funnier than the ending used?
Yeah I thought the same thing, I wonder why they thought it was so bad.
Old 01-23-02, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Mazinger
I generally like dumb movies. I even enjoyed The Animal, Scary Movie 2, and even Joe Dirt, but Evolution was just pretty bad. There were a few funny moments, but overall I didn't like it too much.

BLLLLLAAAAAAAAGGGGGHHHHH!!! The Animal and Joe Dirt were right up there with Mystery Men as the most awful movies I have ever seen. Scary Movie 2 was twice as funny as the first one, and I really enjoyed it. Evolution was much, much better than the Animal or Joe Dirt.
Old 01-26-02, 05:43 AM

anyone who liked scary movie 2 isn't to be taken seriously
Old 01-27-02, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Viper99
anyone who liked scary movie 2 isn't to be taken seriously
Ouch..... It was a heck of a lot better than Scary Movie!

Old 08-31-02, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just saw this movie and the GF and I loved it! It was enough in the storyline to not take itself too seriously and we thought the alternate ending would have made more sense.

Not many movies that the GF enjoys so it is a pleasure to find them when we do.
Old 08-31-02, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Finally, another brave soul willing to admit that the film was indeed enjoyable.
Old 09-01-02, 05:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Two brave souls, cause the GF like this as well.....
Old 04-19-14, 04:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
Re: Review --- Evolution --- Review

Liked it a lot more than I thought I would (I wasn't expecting to like it at all).
Old 04-19-14, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts
Re: Review --- Evolution --- Review

Nice 12 year bump. Throroughly enjoyabel movie. I stil LOL watching it.