Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Night of the Werewolf" Reviews/Discussion - 2012 Horror Challenge: Day 29

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 09-26-12, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Night of the Werewolf (1981)

Selected by jmsmath

IMDB ENTRY

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

MAIN THREAD | LIST THREAD

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags are unnecessary in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF SPOILERS.

SUPPORT OUR SPONSORS!

OHMC8 HOME

Old 09-26-12, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts
Re: "Night of the Werewolf" Reviews/Discussion - 2012 Horror Challenge: Day 29

Got this one confused with La Noche De Walpurgis (1970, aka Werewolf Shadow); good thing there's YouTube.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-29-12 at 08:56 AM.
Old 09-28-12, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts

I'm happy this was chosen. I've owned the Blu-ray for a long time and have never gotten around to watching it. Now I have to!
Old 10-29-12, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Night of the Werewolf
Old 10-29-12, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

I liked Night of the Werewolf much better than I expected. The pacing is good, there's not a lot of lulls before or during the action. I wish I could have caught it on a better source than YouTube (part 4 is all trailers for other Naschy films) and half expected to laboriously watch chunks of grainy footage to salvage the subset challenge but it pulled me in. Compared to similar plot of 1970s Werewolf Shadow the pace, plot, and atmosphere were a lot better in Night of the Werewolf. The Bathory character seemed like a gutsy choice but worked well. They turned up the fog machine for this one, pulled out the orangish stage lighting, and blew the budget on candles but executed off an atmospheric film propelled by castle and nocturnal settings with admirable cinematography. The vampire/Bathory women standing over the tomb surrounded with fog or their slow paced stroll from the crypt are memorble. This turned out to be one of my favorite viewings this challenge.

I wish there was ambiguity or thematic depth in a lot of these werewolf films to better explore the metaphor of mankind struggling with his animal nature. Especially Night of the Werewolf with the male werewolf surrounded by female vampire adversaries seems like it could have more subtext than was apparent to me.