Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Fascination" Reviews/Discussion - 2012 Horror Challenge: Day 27

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 09-26-12, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Fascination (1979)

Selected by Undeadcow

IMDB ENTRY

NETFLIX WATCH INSTANTLY

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

MAIN THREAD | LIST THREAD

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags are unnecessary in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF SPOILERS.

SUPPORT OUR SPONSORS!

OHMC8 HOME

Old 10-11-12, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts
Re: "Fascination" Reviews/Discussion - 2012 Horror Challenge: Day 27

This was a first time viewing for me but I liked the subtlety and atmospheric build-up. I first heard about Fascination (as well as Lips of Blood) when the DVD was out of print and commanding a high price. The image of Brigitte Lahaie with a scythe and clock is so iconic I am surprised this movie is not more well regarded. Brigitte Lahaie steals the show as a teasing taunting seductress that turn horror conventions upside down by tormenting intruders. Fascination maintains a nice playful tone throughout with parlor games tinged with implied (and at times explicit) maliciousness. I love Brigitte's switch in dress from conservative long white dress to being nude under a dark black cape, a scene that is a brilliant thematic representation of the movies own play on misinterpreted feminine hostility for innocence. The use of black and white color (as well as day and night) seems important in Fascination in staggering characters behavior from unassuming to villainous. However, I was not sold by brunette girl Franca Maļ's illogical twist actions at the finale.

If nothing else those silly see-through red/purple one piece cloaks from Lips of Blood and Shiver of the Vampire make an appearance here as re-used costume design, they must have gotten a good bargain on those things.

For those catching Fascination on NetFlix it's interesting to me how 1970s eurohorror was promoted, the blu-ray has 16 minutes of expanded sex scenes Rollin preserved "in case he needed to edit a more explicit version and sell Fascination as a softcore film."

I disagree because I think it's too generalized but here is an interesting review suggesting Fascination is a look at aristocratic morality versus the values of common men.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-11-12 at 01:52 AM.
Old 10-27-12, 08:00 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 662 Likes on 444 Posts

Bump as it is today's film.
Old 10-28-12, 12:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe it's because I was told over and over and over that Jean Rollin's films were terrible (and this was from a couple of his fans) but I really liked this movie a lot more than I thought I would. I was told that this movie didn't have a plot, but it most certainly did (a thin plot maybe, but it was there, and it was kind of interesting too, with women becoming "vampires" who just like drinking blood). I liked the twist at the end. I rolled my eyes into the stratosphere when the brunette tells the guy she loves him, so when the ending looked like it was going to be the two "star crossed lovers" running away together, I wanted to barf, and when she said that maybe the thing she loved about him was his blood, I was happy that the movie went there (in my own little demented way of being happy when movie characters I hate get killed).
Old 10-28-12, 05:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I liked it. Kind of silly at times with a lady with a 4 inch knife attacks another lady that is holding a 5 foot scythe with a 3 foot blade. Some nice tatas waving around. The plot was thin. The guy had a choice of staying to find out the secret or leaving with the money. He picked staying. Why he want to stick around after one girl kills everybody is beyond me. The tits make up for it.
Old 10-28-12, 07:26 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 662 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by edwardnortonfan
Maybe it's because I was told over and over and over that Jean Rollin's films were terrible (and this was from a couple of his fans) but I really liked this movie a lot more than I thought I would. I was told that this movie didn't have a plot, but it most certainly did (a thin plot maybe, but it was there, and it was kind of interesting too, with women becoming "vampires" who just like drinking blood). I liked the twist at the end. I rolled my eyes into the stratosphere when the brunette tells the guy she loves him, so when the ending looked like it was going to be the two "star crossed lovers" running away together, I wanted to barf, and when she said that maybe the thing she loved about him was his blood, I was happy that the movie went there (in my own little demented way of being happy when movie characters I hate get killed).
Pretty much my thoughts exactly. I haven't seen a lot of Rollin's work, but assumed I'd never be a fan. The plot proved to be more interesting than I first thought, I even picked up on those themes Undeadcow mentioned. The scenery was very nice; and I'll remember that scene with the scythe for a long time.

I too rolled my eyes at what looked like a typical Hollywood ending, and loved the reversal.
Old 10-28-12, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I watched this last night on BD, but wanted to share my limited edition disc from Germany. It's #252 of 333.

NSFW
Spoiler:

Old 10-28-12, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
I watched this last night on BD, but wanted to share my limited edition disc from Germany. It's #252 of 333.

NSFW
Spoiler:

I totally want that DVD now. Or the cover as a poster I can hang on my wall.
Old 10-28-12, 11:53 AM

NSFW
Spoiler:

Very nice! That disc art is shameless. You can tell it's #252 because someone hand wrote it in permenant marker on the interior? Haha...

I wonder whatever happened to Brigitte Lahaie.

It doesn't seem like Fascination really ever had traditional poster art somehow.
Old 10-28-12, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Very nice! That disc art is shameless. You can tell it's #252 because someone hand wrote it in permenant marker on the interior? Haha...
Yeah, I thought the hand-numbering with marker was amusing as well.

And speaking of shameless, check out the back cover:

NSFW
Spoiler:
Old 10-28-12, 08:56 PM

...speaking of shameless, check out the back cover:

NSFW
Spoiler:
I count 14 clearly visible tits, one crotch shot, and another rear end. That back cover alone has more action than most full features.

Although this marketing is over the top I think that's one of the greatest things that stood out about Fascination and is missing from so many modern horror films... serious eroticism (not teen flashing or sex jokes; but mature sexuality).
Old 10-29-12, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's a pic of a few more of my Rollin collectables. Figured you'd appreciate it, Undeadcow.

NSFW
Spoiler:

All of the Encore editions come packaged with beautiful books and some with soundtrack CDs, extra discs, etc. These are so much more in depth than the BDs, minus the quality. If you can still find any of these I highly recommend owning them.
Old 10-29-12, 06:07 PM

Here's a pic of a few more of my Rollin collectables. Figured you'd appreciate it, Undeadcow.

NSFW
Spoiler:

All of the Encore editions come packaged with beautiful books and some with soundtrack CDs, extra discs, etc. These are so much more in depth than the BDs, minus the quality. If you can still find any of these I highly recommend owning them.
Very nice... I'm relatively new to Rollins work and would appreciate more in depth extras. That's quite a nice collection you've got!

Supplements lacking I do appreciate the Redemption Films releases because there's not a lot of quality high definition eurohorror releases these days (with Blue Underground silent).

It looks like the Encore release are going for a good amount on Ebay ($30) but from DVD Beaver the color seems more vibrant than even the blu-rays (at least for Requiem for a Vampire) with more detail in some areas.
Old 10-29-12, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
It looks like the Encore release are going for a good amount on Ebay ($30) but from DVD Beaver the color seems more vibrant than even the blu-rays (at least for Requiem for a Vampire) with more detail in some areas.
Interesting. I haven't looked up the comparisons since the BDs came out. I'll have to take a look. Encore is the most impressive with packaging and supplements, so it would be worth checking out if you ever want to collect any of Rollin's work. They are PAL though, so heads-up there.