Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"The Innkeepers" Reviews/Discussion - 2012 Horror Challenge: Day 26

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 09-26-12, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

The Innkeepers (2011)

Selected by Chad

IMDB ENTRY

NETFLIX WATCH INSTANTLY

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

MAIN THREAD | LIST THREAD

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags are unnecessary in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF SPOILERS.

SUPPORT OUR SPONSORS!

OHMC8 HOME

Last edited by Chad; 10-01-12 at 06:52 PM.
Old 10-13-12, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts
Re: "The Innkeepers" Reviews/Discussion - 2012 Horror Challenge: Day 26

I am looking forward to revisiting The Innkeepers, while reading about it on another forum I found a tidbit about the end that I'll look for assuming true would have otherwise missed; SPOILERS:
Spoiler:
Apparently at the end you can see Claire's ghost just before the door slams and the credits roll... "right before the door slams shut you can just barely see her ghost appear, looking out the window and then and she turns to face the doorway, the door slams shut. She will be standing by the right side of the window, with the pulled/tied back portion of the curtain behind her. Look at the upper part of the curtain." -credit to Omen2002 from blu-ray.com

Also, I am surprised by the prevalence of the ghost in both the poster and video cover... it seems counter-intuitive to be so blatant about what I consider to be a big part of the payoff.
Old 10-13-12, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking forward to watching this for the first time in the next couple of days. I've never seen that poster. It's really cool.
Old 10-13-12, 09:10 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 662 Likes on 444 Posts

$5 at Best Buy after Upgrade&Save coupon.
Old 10-24-12, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I liked the setting and characters but found the film to be extremely slow. A lot of time is spent developing the characters while little else is happening. The film held my interest throughout but I only found the last 5 minutes exciting.

Probably not something that I would re-watch.
Old 10-24-12, 08:02 AM

Received 215 Likes on 159 Posts

I LOVE this film. It, like director Ty West's previous film The House of the Devil, takes its time getting to where it's going, but the fun of the film is not really in the payoff--it's in the ride.

I know that we don't have to have spoiler tags in this thread, but I think that it would be better if I used one for this comment:

Spoiler:
A friend pointed out to me that if you watch the film closely, there's no evidence that any haunting is going on. All of the spooky stuff happens only to Claire, with no other witnesses. The film can be read that everything that happens to Claire is only a result of her overactive imagination. Watch it again and see if you concur.
Old 10-24-12, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rbrown498
I LOVE this film. It, like director Ty West's previous film The House of the Devil, takes its time getting to where it's going, but the fun of the film is not really in the payoff--it's in the ride.

I know that we don't have to have spoiler tags in this thread, but I think that it would be better if I used one for this comment:

Spoiler:
A friend pointed out to me that if you watch the film closely, there's no evidence that any haunting is going on. All of the spooky stuff happens only to Claire, with no other witnesses. The film can be read that everything that happens to Claire is only a result of her overactive imagination. Watch it again and see if you concur.
Spoiler:
Ill have to rewatch it with this mindset, but the end scene before the door slams is a definite sighting and thats seen from the viewers perspective
Old 10-24-12, 10:02 AM

Received 215 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by terrycloth
Spoiler:
Ill have to rewatch it with this mindset, but the end scene before the door slams is a definite sighting and thats seen from the viewers perspective
True, but that doesn't negate the possibility that perhaps
Spoiler:
everything supernatural that's happened up to that point was in her mind, and now HER ghost is the first real spirit. Just a thought. I can see it either way, which is what makes the film doubly effective for me. I love films that are open to interpretation.
Old 10-24-12, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

wow im slow I never thought of it that way gonna def re watch it again this week from that angle

and i know spoils are ok but left it in there bc it became my favorite scene and didn't even notice it untill like my third viewing
Old 10-26-12, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 962 Likes on 590 Posts

The ride doesn't do you any good if you are bored most of the time. I didn't realize that it was directed by Ty West or I might have skipped it since I loathed The House Of The Devil (especially after all the completely over the top, overrated comments on this board for that particular film).

I did like this film much more than HOTD though. It keep my attention though the pace almost got to me a few times. I stuck to it though but I would never revisit this film again. The payoff was lackluster and the "ride" on this one was definitely over-the-clothes PG fondling for a horror movie. Why this movie was rated R is beyond me. It is a decent little ghost story that you might have watched on an Amazing Stories episode or a Twilight Zone as a kid but it isn't more than that.

I did find the lead actress very effective and very cute. Cute not in a sexual/attractive way but cute in a tom-boy spunky way. Decent movie but don't go into this with super high expectations.

My rating: *** out of *****
Old 10-26-12, 12:31 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 662 Likes on 444 Posts

I expected a bit more of a payoff; the last act could have been stronger.

But the ride was a lot of fun. Great atmosphere and character build-up. I loved House of the Devil and just re-watched it. Maybe I need to track down that Roost or something film that West did as well.

Great choice, and well worth the $5.
Old 10-26-12, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
I expected a bit more of a payoff; the last act could have been stronger.

But the ride was a lot of fun. Great atmosphere and character build-up. I loved House of the Devil and just re-watched it. Maybe I need to track down that Roost or something film that West did as well.

Great choice, and well worth the $5.
THE ROOST is nowhere near the quality of HOTD or INNKEEPERS...fair warning.
Old 10-27-12, 12:09 AM

I've been trying to find Clare's ghost at the end for the past 15 minutes and must be missing it. Edit: Found it, very subtle. She's not ghastly like the others, I wonder if that's significant.
True, but that doesn't negate the possibility that perhaps
Spoiler:
everything supernatural that's happened up to that point was in her mind, and now HER ghost is the first real spirit. Just a thought. I can see it either way, which is what makes the film doubly effective for me. I love films that are open to interpretation.
Although this is an interesting observation it would feel forced
Spoiler:
if the psychic and old man suicide were just red herrings. If the intent was to be ambiguous
then it's doesn't seem very well designed. It seems you could say this of any haunting/ghost movie
Spoiler:
, that haunting is individual psychosis due to unreliable narrator instead of supernatural... sort of the "it was all a dream" cop-out
. Although I'm not a fan of that interpretation but I did enjoy re-watching Innkeepers with that in mind and appreciate your perspective.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-27-12 at 12:20 AM.
Old 10-27-12, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Really enjoyed this one. Finally cracked open my Blu-ray which I bought long ago but decided to hold off watching until this challenge.

Really, loved the characters...especially Sarah Paxton, who is much different here than in Last House on the Left or Shark Night. Loved just spending time with the innkeepers and it almost felt like a good indie comedy, something like Jim Jarmusch's Mystery Train at times. Not much by way of horror initially, but I love West's pacing and subtle camera shots that creep around corners. The acting puts this about House of the Devil for me (even though that film is scarier and kicks a special amount of ass).

One question, was the room at the end where the old man was staying and suddenly was completely furnished? Forgive me if this was obvious or not. I have been watching 3-5 films daily for 27 days now and occasionally I miss things in films that I will want to revisit.
Old 10-27-12, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Totally thought this was leading to the dude and the actress fucking with Clare to either keep up the hotel or promote the haunting website. The real payoff was pretty bland and the film was sorta' dull as it plodded along to the last 10 minutes of something finally happening.
Old 10-27-12, 04:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

That was Kelly McGillis? whoa

Anyway, I had a good enough time with this. One thing that I really appreciated about West's style (Especially after being subjected to so many copycats this month) was how he handles jump scares. No obligatory gong-sound to accompany a ghost's pop-out face. Incredibly refreshing.

BTW, I'm surprised Clare didn't make smarky comments about that website. That layout was so 1998.
Old 10-29-12, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 326 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
That was Kelly McGillis? whoa

Anyway, I had a good enough time with this. One thing that I really appreciated about West's style (Especially after being subjected to so many copycats this month) was how he handles jump scares. No obligatory gong-sound to accompany a ghost's pop-out face. Incredibly refreshing.

BTW, I'm surprised Clare didn't make smarky comments about that website. That layout was so 1998.
Yeah I figured it was another period piece like House of the Devil. I am pretty sure his computer is 90's too, wasn't it?
Old 10-29-12, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 354 Likes on 227 Posts

Glad I watched this one, but I thought it was simply ok. Probably agree with others in that my opinion was formed by the slow pace.
Old 10-29-12, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think the ghosts were real, and Claire was just in touch with them somehow, evident with her becoming a ghost at the end (I believe her spirit is so faint in the end because she was newly passed). I also think the ghosts were just being ghosts. Checking her out, seeing what she was up too. She was just too intense and emotional to have a handle on the situation. And I believe she was destined to join them in the first place, as evidenced by Lee’s observations. If it was all happening in her head, then we wouldn't see her ghost and have her close the door at the end.

In case you're having a hard time seeing it:
Spoiler:
Old 10-29-12, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
I think the ghosts were real, and Claire was just in touch with them somehow, evident with her becoming a ghost at the end (I believe her spirit is so faint in the end because she was newly passed)...
I agree that the haunting was intended to be "real" and another interpretation given her ghost fetishism is that he spirit is faint and appears stoic at the end is that she is at peace with being a ghost. No one wants to die but they seemed to make a point of her loneliness earlier in the film. If so the ending could show her as sort of sinister ghost master instead of the malicious lost souls seen earlier; she is The Innkeeper.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-29-12 at 06:13 PM.
Old 10-29-12, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
... she is The Innkeeper.
Whoa. That gave me chills.