Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Stake Land" Reviews/Discussion - 2012 Horror Challenge: Day 21

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 09-26-12, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Stake Land (2010)

Selected by SethDLH

IMDB ENTRY

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

MAIN THREAD | LIST THREAD

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags are unnecessary in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF SPOILERS.

SUPPORT OUR SPONSORS!

OHMC8 HOME

Old 10-03-12, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts
Re: "Stake Land" Reviews/Discussion - 2012 Horror Challenge: Day 21

Couldn't wait till the 21st to catch Stake Land. I love the pacing with slow dramatic segments punctuated by vampire chaos. The overall cynicism with the muted color scheme and sorrowful soundtrack has a nice vibe although I can see how some might find it too slow. The vampires are the weakest part of the film, it's funny when a vampire jumps out rears up it's chest and pulls back it's arm to be cut down mid war cry, instead of jumping into the fray, and the badass mentor character seems unrealistically suave. The ending is perfect. I enjoyed it, thanks to SethDLH for recommending.

Was Stake Land intended to be a companion follow-up to Zombieland? Both are road trip movies about a pair of survivors seeking safe haven. The vampires in Stake Land are even a bit zombie like, growling and covered in distorted flesh/gore.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-03-12 at 05:55 PM.
Old 10-03-12, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

I watched it last year, and I look forward to watching it again. For a low-budget film, Stake Land has imagination and energy that really deserved a bigger budget and a major studio release.
Old 10-21-12, 05:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Watched it earlier this month and enjoyed it quite a bit. Connor Paolo was a pretty lame lead, but I loved the bleak atmosphere and the visuals. Even though it was 'slow', I found it captivating the whole way through.
Old 10-21-12, 01:20 PM

Received 96 Likes on 36 Posts

I really enjoyed this one! I actually didn't really find it to be slow; I thought the pacing was quite good.

It was a bit eerie, though, to see that road sign within the first minute of the movie -- that's the town where I grew up. Turns out the director grew up around there too, and it was an obvious choice when he needed someplace that looked "post-apocalyptic." Spotted several other familiar locales, and they probably needed very little work to achieve the right look.
Old 10-21-12, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm satisfied with my subset pick. It was pretty good and the look and feel of the movie was spot on. I think Mister was sort of disappointing though. He didn't do much
Old 10-21-12, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Excellent choice, I really enjoyed it. Connor Paolo did a great job presenting a scared, adolescent teen being forced to grow up fast, but still not able to pull it off. And Mister was a good example of a believable character, with faults and all. Also loved the bleakness and hopelessness that the film presents. Great buddy film, and at the same time a good coming of age story.
Old 10-22-12, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Liked the movie for the most part. The only part I didn't dig was the brotherhood leader returning as a smarty pants vampire. If it was just some random smarty vamp I could dig it. The movie reminded me of The Road but not as bleak.
Old 10-22-12, 01:25 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 662 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Couldn't wait till the 21st to catch Stake Land. I love the pacing with slow dramatic segments punctuated by vampire chaos. The overall cynicism with the muted color scheme and sorrowful soundtrack has a nice vibe although I can see how some might find it too slow. The vampires are the weakest part of the film, it's funny when a vampire jumps out rears up it's chest and pulls back it's arm to be cut down mid war cry, instead of jumping into the fray, and the badass mentor character seems unrealistically suave. The ending is perfect. I enjoyed it, thanks to SethDLH for recommending.

Was Stake Land intended to be a companion follow-up to Zombieland? Both are road trip movies about a pair of survivors seeking safe haven. The vampires in Stake Land are even a bit zombie like, growling and covered in distorted flesh/gore.
I didn't wait either. Didn't own it and couldn't find it streaming anywhere so I rented it a couple weeks back.

After the first few minutes, I too thought it might be a Zombieland clone. But it turned less funny.

It was ok, but nothing I'd go out of my way to revisit.
Old 10-22-12, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
After the first few minutes, I too thought it might be a Zombieland clone. But it turned less funny.

It was ok, but nothing I'd go out of my way to revisit.
I didn't see a Zombieland likeness, unless you mean a car full of people outrunning/fighting the undead. This was a brilliant coming of age film, along the likeness of A Perfect World, Au Revoir Les Enfants, or even Adventureland. I'd even throw in Rio Bravo as a companion piece. I'm afraid that those that were looking for action or comedy are really going to miss out on a delightful experience. I look forward to watching it again.
Old 10-23-12, 03:48 AM

I hadn't heard of this movie until I saw it on the subset films list for this challenge (thanks to SethDLH for suggesting it) & definitely better than I expected. I agree with all about the good & bad of this film. I found it to be too dark to watch again & not a very rewatchable film "fun" wise but really glad I checked it out.
Old 10-24-12, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From beginning to end, I really enjoyed this one. I liked everything from the story to the characters to the atmosphere. Still, I agree with Baron that having a "random smarty vamp" would have been better than bringing back the brotherhood leader. That whole thing seemed forced. I would rather have seen them face a random vamp with the implication that maybe some of the vampires were evolving or something.

Will definitely revisit this one.