Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Deep Red" Reviews/Discussion - 2012 Horror Challenge: Day 19

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 09-26-12, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Deep Red (1975)

Selected by Bladz

IMDB ENTRY

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

MAIN THREAD | LIST THREAD

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags are unnecessary in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF SPOILERS.

SUPPORT OUR SPONSORS!

OHMC8 HOME

Old 10-19-12, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts
Re: "Deep Red" Reviews/Discussion - 2012 Horror Challenge: Day 19

I wasn't sure which version to watch so settled for the longer italian cut. If I remember the shorter US cut correctly, I prefer the US cut's tighter pacing. Deep Red's got a more detailed plot than a lot of other movies on the subset and there's no topping the second act.
Old 10-20-12, 01:27 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 662 Likes on 444 Posts

Could have sworn this film was in the Argento boxset I own, but no. Don't own an individual release, and not streaming free anywhere afaik; so I was about to bite the bullet and pay for it. But I decided to check all of my 50 pack horror collections and found it there thankfully.
Old 10-20-12, 11:04 AM

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

My favorite giallo. Goblin's score is top notch and it's obvious how much it inspired John Carpenter's music for Halloween. I've never watched the English version due to my hatred for dubbed films, but I think I might try it out next time around to see the differences between the two cuts.
Old 10-20-12, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Such a brilliant film that is expertly constructed. The first time I saw the reveal I had to go back to see if it actually happened.
Old 10-20-12, 02:01 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 662 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by Bladz
My favorite giallo. Goblin's score is top notch and it's obvious how much it inspired John Carpenter's music for Halloween. I've never watched the English version due to my hatred for dubbed films, but I think I might try it out next time around to see the differences between the two cuts.
Yep, great score that put me in a Halloween mood.

Opposite version plan for me. I was initially excited because my public domain ish horror pack said it contained the full 126 minute cut. But no, it was the much shorter US cut. I'll seek out the full version someday.