Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Saint Nick" Reviews/Discussion - 2012 Horror Challenge: Day 18

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 09-26-12, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Saint Nick (2010)

Selected by terrycloth

IMDB ENTRY

NETFLIX WATCH INSTANTLY

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

MAIN THREAD | LIST THREAD

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags are unnecessary in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF SPOILERS.

SUPPORT OUR SPONSORS!

OHMC8 HOME

Old 10-18-12, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 118 Likes on 65 Posts
Re: "Saint Nick" Reviews/Discussion - 2012 Horror Challenge: Day 18

I enjoyed it.. had some good gore, and some cool kills... incidently, if you watch it on Netflix Streaming, it'll recomend Rare Exports, a finnish Christmas horror movie. I actually liked Rare exports more, and suggest checking them both out.
Old 10-18-12, 12:00 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 397 Likes on 247 Posts

Merry Dick Maas!
Old 10-18-12, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

I'm glad they handled Saint Nick in a subdued way because it would have sunk is too comedic or cheesy but wish the jolly old guy would have had more screen time. The plot structure was interesting consisting of characters basically just aimlessly wondering around roaming into whatever happened without too much direction until the last 30 minutes. In other words there's a bit of padding to what amounts to an amusing but under developed evil Santa Claus idea. Ultimately Saint Nick was fun and better than I thought it would be; but if you were in a hurry you could fast forward to the last 20 minutes and catch most of the high points. Someone claims there were 300 victims, but they must have all happened off screen. I love the way the bald cop was dubbed with a ridiculous over the top deep voice.
Old 10-18-12, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 183 Likes on 127 Posts

Is this available in its original language? I really can't stand to watch foreign films in dubbed versions over subtitled.
Old 10-19-12, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

^I was suprised to see that it was dubbed too. Surprisingly anti-climactic in it's last half, but the jump scares & gore gags scored well (The car attack on Frank and his 2 pals was my most favorite moment) all in all, good fun!

Spoiler:
But I admit I was bummed out to see Sophie go so early
Old 10-19-12, 04:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Couldn't enjoy this movie much because of casual racism. Kind of like how I can not read any scott cards books without thinking what a hateful human being he is. The dubbing didn't help either.
Old 10-20-12, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Other than the crappy dubbing and lack of an origin story, I enjoyed it. I'm hoping the sequel brings us Sint vs Rare Exports Santa.

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
Couldn't enjoy this movie much because of casual racism. Kind of like how I can not read any scott cards books without thinking what a hateful human being he is. The dubbing didn't help either.
Yeah, I was wondering what was up with the black face. The Zwarte Piet wiki page explains a lot. Apparently it's the norm over there, although they did attempt to change it at one point:

As an experiment in 2006, the NPS (en: Dutch Programme Foundation) replaced the black Pieten with rainbow-colored Pieten but reverted the characters back to the traditional all-black makeup a year later.
Old 10-20-12, 02:04 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 662 Likes on 444 Posts

I'm a sucker for Christmas horror so loved this one.

The dubbing was quite bad, but the good kills and great car scene made it a fun ride.
Old 10-21-12, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 215 Likes on 159 Posts

I LOVED this one. It's easily my favorite first-time view of the Challenge so far. I think it helped, though, that I DID watch it in Dutch with subtitles. I ordered the DVD from GoHastings.com as soon as it was announced as a subset pick. The trailer on the disc WAS dubbed, and the dubbing was awful.

It seemed to me that it was obviously written and shot with the American audience in mind. The 1492 date of the first scene might have been a sly tip of the hat to American audiences (it's as if Maas were saying, "You know the year that your country was discovered by Columbus? Yeah, well, we were already around and fighting off renegade evil saints"), and the inclusion of the American tourist felt like it was meant to be a point of audience identification. Whether or not this is the case doesn't matter, however, as it's still a crazy delight from start to finish.