Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Chillerama" Reviews/Discussion - 2012 Horror Challenge: Day 16

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 09-26-12, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Chillerama (2010)

Selected by Viewaskewbian

IMDB ENTRY

NETFLIX WATCH INSTANTLY

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

MAIN THREAD | LIST THREAD

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags are unnecessary in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF SPOILERS.

SUPPORT OUR SPONSORS!

OHMC8 HOME

Old 10-03-12, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts
Re: "Chillerama" Reviews/Discussion - 2012 Horror Challenge: Day 16

Chillerama is a really cool idea that I want to like more than I actually do but the execution is overly silly and jokes often not funny. The grindhouse anthology idea is brilliant. "Wadzilla" is a great concept. I think the strongest segment is "Diary of Ann Frankenstein." The random movie line quotes during the closing sex starved zombie rampage is nice. Unfortunately so much of Chillerama's 2 hour run time is mediocre. I understand it's intentionally silly to be campy lampooning cheap b-movies but maybe too much of it is going over my head.

Edit: Watched The Theatre Bizzare (2011) and it's so much better than Chillerama with a similar (but more subtle) anthology theater vibe. Chillerama is such a missed opportunity.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-04-12 at 12:44 PM.
Old 10-04-12, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 962 Likes on 590 Posts

I streamed this movie on Netflix not too long ago and I remember hating it. I remember it being like a Troma film except grosser and dumber...which is hard to imagine. I definitely don't plan on rewatching it.
Old 10-16-12, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2nd time viewing this and still dug it. Of course its like a b movie ,drive-in, grindhouse style with some silly segments. It does have a lil bit of everything from zombies, monsters, wolfman and frankenstein. My favorite was the Wadzilla one which I thought was funny as hell..I didn't like the gay wolfman story with so much singing. Also the main story of the drive in was kool and then seeing a zombie orgy out of it was like holy shit.
Old 10-16-12, 05:49 PM

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I loved it! The quirkiness of it was right up my alley. I was cracking up through the whole movie. The only storyline I didn't care for that much was the one right after Wadzilla. But on a whole it was a very enjoyable movie to watch.
Old 10-16-12, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I think Diary Of Anne Frankenstein was hilarious and the wrap around was okay. The Werebear segment was one of the worst things I've ever seen though. I hated it so much. Wadzilla was mildly amusing and I don't remember the other one at all.
Old 10-16-12, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,221 Posts

Originally Posted by SethDLH
I think Diary Of Anne Frankenstein was hilarious and the wrap around was okay. The Werebear segment was one of the worst things I've ever seen though. I hated it so much. Wadzilla was mildly amusing and I don't remember the other one at all.
That's pretty much where I fall, and I can't remember the other segment either.
Old 10-16-12, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,171 Likes on 901 Posts

I think the one that people are forgetting is the fake preview of that "shit" film where they feature poop in all its many forms. Technically the last film is the zombie picture that wraps up the entire film itself.
Old 10-16-12, 11:16 PM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I think the one that people are forgetting is the fake preview of that "shit" film where they feature poop in all its many forms. Technically the last film is the zombie picture that wraps up the entire film itself.
Sunny Lane was the only good part of the stupid poop segment.
Old 10-16-12, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i like half the movie. this was my second viewing

Wadzilla I love...just utter nonsense but my love for monster movies makes this one stand out for me and doesn't overstay its welcome unlike the next story of Werebear had some funny moments but like the first viewing when the second story came on it couldn't hold my attention. and Diary of Ann Frankenstein is my favorite by far i even went out of my way to rock my fright rags shirt in honor of that story while watching it.
Old 10-17-12, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Like wadzilla and the zombie parts. I wasn't really feeling ann frankestein. The concept was sound but execution wasn't there.
Old 10-17-12, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 183 Likes on 127 Posts

I watched this last night along with Blood Creek and I agree with a lot of you guys that the execution left a bit to be desired. The werebear segment was the weakest, although I thought the premise was amusing. Wadzilla was pretty funny, although gross, I did crack up every time the guy doubled over in pain from his erections. Also, it was cool seeing Eric Roberts play a character named General Bukkake.

I thought the Diary of Anne Frankenstein was the best segment. The lady playing Eva Braun was hot, I actually thought she was the same actress playing the blind date girl in Wadzilla, who was also pretty hot. I didn't realize that was Kane Hodder playing the monster until the credits, so I was pleased to check him off the check list, although I'll probably watch a Friday the 13th movie before this challenge is over.

Overall though, I thought there were too few great moments in a film that was rather long.
Old 10-18-12, 06:59 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 662 Likes on 444 Posts

Agree with much of what you all have said. It had it's good moments, but overall just wasn't all that good, and it was way too long.

The Wadzilla segment was a great premise, and could have been good; but I found the joke execution very poor, so it was by far the weakest segment for me. The Werebear segment was a nice idea, but the singing and acting were mediocre. Loved the Diary of Ann Frankenstein segment, and the wraparound zombie film was quite decent. Loved Richard Riehle as Cecil the theater guy. Can't remember where I most remember him from, but always enjoy his work. He was apparently considered for the Cliff Clavin role.
Old 10-21-12, 08:29 PM

Received 215 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Agree with much of what you all have said. It had it's good moments, but overall just wasn't all that good, and it was way too long.
I concur, especially about it being too long. I thought that the wraparound story and the first two segments were juvenile at best, but "Anne Frankenstein" made me laugh a few times, and I found "Deathication" to be hysterically funny. I'm not really sure what that says about me, but then again, I belonged to a fraternity in college.
Old 10-21-12, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,171 Likes on 901 Posts

Anne Frankenstein was rad. LOVED the black stuntman moment. I nearly pissed myself!