Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Frankenhooker" Reviews/Discussion - 2012 Horror Challenge: Day 15

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 09-26-12, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Frankenhooker (1990)

Selected by SterlingBen

IMDB ENTRY

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

MAIN THREAD | LIST THREAD

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags are unnecessary in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF SPOILERS.

SUPPORT OUR SPONSORS!

OHMC8 HOME

Old 10-08-12, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts
Re: "Frankenhooker" Reviews/Discussion - 2012 Horror Challenge: Day 15

Joe Bob Briggs introduction to Frankenhooker on YouTube.

Watched Frankenhooker, which is a fun trashy movie, with the commentary track featuring writer/director Henenlotter with special effects guy. I didn't realize that Frankenhooker was shot back-to-back with Basket Case 2, using mostly the same production team. Also Henenlotter admits Frankenhooker is a riff on Brain that Wouldn't Die. There are several cameos from other Henenlotter films usually viewed on TV screens within Frakenhooker. They mention tributes to James Whale, Bride of Frankenstein. It's a spirited commentary.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-15-12 at 01:28 AM.
Old 10-15-12, 08:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like Henenlotter, but wasn't sure how I'd go with this. Oddly, I also watched The Brain That Wouldn't Die earlier in the day, in a total coincidence. Anywho, I enjoyed it a lot. A lot of fun and silliness, that is consistently very entertaining.
Old 10-15-12, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

"Good luck with your, uh, exploding bitches..." The last gasp of genuine exploitation film and Times Square sleaze. On the commentary track, they mention telling the neighbors in and around the house where Jeffrey was supposed to live that the name of the film was 'Frankenstein 90', instead of Frankenhooker. Probably a wise decision!
Old 10-15-12, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They don't make movies like this anymore
I had a good time seeing this. I say its a mix of re-animator with some basket case. The girls were cute. Good seeing adult star Heather Hunter in her prime. When Jersey boy is asking in times square if they seen his creation, one of the guys he asked with the batman t shirt , resembled Rauter Hauer no?

Overall this was a movie with tits and heads flying all over the place is making it a fun viewing.
Old 10-15-12, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DEEveeDEE3
When Jersey boy is asking in times square if they seen his creation, one of the guys he asked with the batman t shirt , resembled Rauter Hauer no?
Strangely enough, 'Batman Shirt', a.k.a. Avind Harum, co-"starred" with Rutger Hauer in Nighthawks.
Old 10-15-12, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I love this movie. The first time I saw it I lost it during the supercrack scene
Old 10-15-12, 03:19 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 662 Likes on 444 Posts

Loved the exploding hooker scene, but the other 80 minutes were painful. Dud of the month for me so far.
Old 10-15-12, 10:16 PM

Received 215 Likes on 159 Posts

I saw this back in the day on VHS. It had that crazy box that had a button on it that when pushed would blare out “WANNA DATE?” in Patty Mullen / Frankenhooker’s voice. At the time I thought the movie was fairly amusing, but pretty slight. I was kind of dreading watching it again, as I just knew that, since I wasn’t particularly impressed with it the first time around, I would probably hate it this go-round. Surprisingly (to me, at least), I enjoyed it quite a bit more than I expected to. I actually laughed out loud a few times, especially at Patty Mullen’s bizarro facial quirks and at several of James Lorinz’s off-the-cuff remarks. Is it stupid? You betcha--but it’s pretty short and has several attractive women, a couple of better-than-they-deserve-to-be performances, and exploding crack whores. It was co-written by Fangoria magazine’s first editor, Bob Martin.
Old 10-16-12, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Good movie, yeah they don't make movies like these anymore. Hooker exploding all over the place, super crack, what's not to like..
Old 10-16-12, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Zorro the pimp always stands out for me!
Old 10-16-12, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Never get tired of this one. And always get a kick out of the hooker remnants that resembled Belial from Basket Case.
Old 10-17-12, 05:39 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I really enjoyed Frankenhooker. Patty Mullen was really funny, and James Lorinz wasn't too far behind her. The performances of just about all the actors seemed more relaxed and less wooden than just about all the actors in Basket Case. I thought that Frankenhooker achieved what Frank Henenlotter seemed to be aiming for, but didn't yet have the skills to achieve, in Basket Case.
Old 10-18-12, 05:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad
Never get tired of this one. And always get a kick out of the hooker remnants that resembled Belial from Basket Case.

The contents of that freezer were beyond awesome. Love this film.
Old 10-18-12, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 118 Likes on 65 Posts

IMO this is just a fun movie, that you can't look to much into. Being from Jersey I do like some of the little shout outs, Ho Hokus , Newark Water.
Old 10-22-12, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My wife has been begging me for years to watch this. 31 Films gave her the excuse she needed (though I still put it off a few days past). I really liked it. Not sure I'm in love with it, but the visuals were amazing and can't deny the non-stop humor. Great watch.
Old 10-29-12, 02:21 AM

Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by rbrown498
...I actually laughed out loud a few times, especially at Patty Mullen’s bizarro facial quirks and at several of James Lorinz’s off-the-cuff remarks...
Yes, that stood out for me, too. The bemused mumbling and - presumably - ad-libbing that made it seem like he was utterly baffled to find himself in the film!

Although easily the most hilarious scenes were the opening one: the family's comments about and to Jeffrey, and then the matter-of-fiction news reporters description of the accident! The rest was hit-or-miss, but the baffled mumbling and the news report (plus explosions and a couple of other moments) made it well worthwhile to watch.