Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Creature from the Haunted Sea" Reviews/Discussion - 2012 Horror Challenge: Day 10

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

"Creature from the Haunted Sea" Reviews/Discussion - 2012 Horror Challenge: Day 10

Old 09-26-12, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Creature from the Haunted Sea (1961)

Selected by Screwadu

IMDB ENTRY

YOUTUBE LINK

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

MAIN THREAD | LIST THREAD

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags are unnecessary in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF SPOILERS.

SUPPORT OUR SPONSORS!

OHMC8 HOME

Old 10-10-12, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: "Creature from the Haunted Sea" Reviews/Discussion - 2012 Horror Challenge: Day 1

First 15 minutes. I'm not digging this film. Are you sure this isn't a comedy? I think the inspector from the Pink Panther movies is in this.
Old 10-10-12, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: "Creature from the Haunted Sea" Reviews/Discussion - 2012 Horror Challenge: Day 1

Ahhh ok this is a comedy parody.
Old 10-10-12, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The sound quality is horrible. The sound skips in places and there is that constant hum that is starting drive me nuts.
Old 10-10-12, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
First 15 minutes. I'm not digging this film. Are you sure this isn't a comedy? I think the inspector from the Pink Panther movies is in this.
Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
The sound quality is horrible. The sound skips in places and there is that constant hum that is starting drive me nuts.
Yes, yes... kill me now... someone commented in the main thread about the always dancing cubans, that is funny. I keep expecting it to get better... there are rubber monsters in this... there are rubber monsters in this... there are... zzzzzzz
Old 10-10-12, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I shouldn't have chosen this based on one screenshot. I'll make up for it next year. It was pretty bad.
Old 10-10-12, 10:51 PM

Received 215 Likes on 159 Posts

Weirdly topical Roger Corman quickie, one of three he shot back-to-back-to-back in Puerto Rico. The plot in fewer than fifty words: American gangsters try to steal a strongbox full of gold from some Cuban government agents. In order to get away with killing the Cubans, they invent a monster to cover up their murders…but a real monster shows up, derailing their plans. Creature is the last in an unofficial trilogy (along with A Bucket of Blood and The Little Shop of Horrors) of goofball horror comedies written by Chuck Griffith for Corman. It’s without a doubt the least successful of the three, but it’s still entertaining, if ultimately inconsequential. Here are my five favorite things about Creature from the Haunted Sea:

5. The non-stop singing, dancing, and drinking of the Cubans on the ship.
4. “It was dusk. I could tell because the sun was going down.”
3. Mango’s subtitles.
2. Mango
1. The way that the film’s title is worked into the lyrics of the endless song that Betsy Jones-Moreland sings.

Not essential viewing, but fun if you’re in a silly mood.
Old 10-10-12, 10:55 PM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Screwadu
I shouldn't have chosen this based on one screenshot. I'll make up for it next year. It was pretty bad.
The poster is kind of awesome too... it teases at what may have eventually turned into Humanoids From The Deep. I wonder about any connection between these two (which I am sure if coincidental).
Old 10-11-12, 12:51 PM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rbrown498
Creature is the last in an unofficial trilogy (along with A Bucket of Blood and The Little Shop of Horrors) of goofball horror comedies written by Chuck Griffith for Corman. It’s without a doubt the least successful of the three, but it’s still entertaining, if ultimately inconsequential. Here are my five favorite things about Creature from the Haunted Sea:

5. The non-stop singing, dancing, and drinking of the Cubans on the ship.
4. “It was dusk. I could tell because the sun was going down.”
3. Mango’s subtitles.
2. Mango
1. The way that the film’s title is worked into the lyrics of the endless song that Betsy Jones-Moreland sings.
I am not a huge fan of any of the goofball comedies mentioned but I have to admit to finding this one less painful than Bucket but not as good as Little Shop (although I haven't seen the other two in quite a while). The dusk line took me by surprise and ended up getting a big laugh out of me (the only time that happened during the movie) and I agree that Mango totally rocked. I thought the creature was kind of cute and I really liked the final scene where it is lounging all over its hard won treasure. That made me smile. I gave it a 4/10 and was glad to finally see the whole thing at one time.
Old 10-11-12, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 183 Likes on 127 Posts

Years of watching MST3K has given me an appreciation for these low budget, awful rubber suit horror movies. This movie featured a very awful rubber suit monster, but not as bad as say... The Creeping Terror. I actually appreciated the sense of humor that this film had. The line about dusk had me cracking up, along with Mango's subtitles. There were quite a few other funny lines that I can't recall. The underwater photography was pretty boring, and I kind of wish we had more scenes of the monster stalking people on the ground.

Either way, I enjoyed it more than I thought I would, and I'm glad we were forced to watch an awful Corman movie as part of this challenge.
Old 10-12-12, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 962 Likes on 590 Posts

Mr. Scewadu, what you've asked us to watch is one of the most insanely idiotic movies I have ever seen. At no point in this rambling, incoherent movie was it even close to anything that could be considered a rational film. Everyone in this thread is now dumber for having watched it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

My rating: 0 stars out of *****. It's rare that I give 0 stars but I could not find one redeeming quality in this movie...and I like tend to be lenient on bad horror movies.
Old 10-12-12, 08:50 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 662 Likes on 444 Posts

Brian, have you no soul?

I wrote a post the other day but it appears to have not saved. Basically, I loved it, but knew what I was getting into going into it. I agree with most of rbrown's points above, and found the spies dialogue quite amusing.
Old 10-12-12, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 962 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Brian, have you no soul?
I sold it years ago.
Old 10-12-12, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
Mr. Scewadu, what you've asked us to watch is one of the most insanely idiotic movies I have ever seen. At no point in this rambling, incoherent movie was it even close to anything that could be considered a rational film. Everyone in this thread is now dumber for having watched it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

My rating: 0 stars out of *****. It's rare that I give 0 stars but I could not find one redeeming quality in this movie...and I like tend to be lenient on bad horror movies.
Just wait til you see what I have for next year!
Old 10-20-12, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Screwadu
the screen that was posted got me most excited for this movie and went out and bought a copy lol man was i let down. i may re-watch it again knowing what im in store for but was sadly looking forward to a all out rubber suit monster battle for the ages

the intro of the animal sound kid had me rolling tho