Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Count Yorga: Vampire" Reviews/Discussion - 2012 Horror Challenge: Day 5

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 09-25-12, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Count Yorga: Vampire (1970)

Selected by NoirFan

IMDB ENTRY

NETFLIX WATCH INSTANTLY

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

MAIN THREAD | LIST THREAD

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags are unnecessary in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF SPOILERS.

SUPPORT OUR SPONSORS!

OHMC8 HOME

Old 09-28-12, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: "Count Yorga: Vampire" Reviews/Discussion - 2012 Horror Challenge: Day 5

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/obnST1oKj9Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by NoirFan; 09-29-12 at 08:16 AM.
Old 10-05-12, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Im not huge on Vampire movies and imo they tend to drag, but this one i felt had really good pacing and never had me checking the time on how much was left.

the cat scene was not expected at all on my end got a chuckle out of that and i found the original plan We Will Talk him to death! was hilarious. I didnt even mind the ending which was a bit predictable.

the only scene i felt forced and was just added to add shock value was the implied rape of donna by brudah it was a very minor scene just felt unneeded here.

the return of count yorga worth checking out?
Old 10-05-12, 01:16 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 662 Likes on 444 Posts

Streaming free on Amazon for Prime members, or $2.99 rental.

http://www.amazon.com/Count-Yorga-Va...9452497&sr=1-2
Old 10-05-12, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

What a blast from the past. I remember watching on late night TV back in the day when Cartson was the only other show on at the same time.
Old 10-06-12, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 215 Likes on 159 Posts

Robert Quarry gives a pretty good performance as Count Yorga (or, more accurately I guess, Count Iorga), who is, as the title rather emphatically states, a vampire. He lives in an old mansion on the outskirts of Los Angeles with a harem of his vampire brides. He sets his sights on gaining a few more brides, including the daughter of one of his current vampire babes, but he’s defeated in the end. The brides, however, still survive. Not bad non-campy vampire film was shot as a low-budget sexploitation film, but it went legit when Robert Quarry came on board. Rumor has it that he was paid only $1,200 for starring in the film, but because of it, he became AIP’s new horror star for a brief period. The version that’s on DVD is NOT the original theatrical version; the scene where one of the characters chows down on her pet cat has been extended, and the film’s original title of The Loves of Count Iorga…Vampire has been reinstated. It’s hard to find really concrete info on the making of the film, but Tony Timpone has written that the budget was under $100,000, and the IMDB lists the budget as $65,000. Either way, the film was made on the cheap.

In case you haven’t noticed, three of the first five subset films this year have been vampire films--and they’re all kind of related. Count Yorga, Vampire rips off the ending of The Fearless Vampire Killers, and Blacula, in turn, steals footage from Yorga. Check out the “transporting the vampire’s coffin” scenes in Yorga and Blacula--they both start at the Port of Los Angeles, with the camera starting on the red pickup truck and tilting upwards until you see the sign for the Port. There are also identical shots in both of the red truck on the highways and streets of LA, getting the coffin to where it’s going. I might never have noticed this if it weren’t for having seen both films so closely together. Chalk another one up for the Challenge!

Last edited by rbrown498; 10-06-12 at 05:59 PM.
Old 10-07-12, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Good eye rbrown498! Quarry perfectly meshes acidic humor and refined menace in his performance - I'd say the same for Macready's voice-over. The sequel is just as good, and fans of Quarry should also look into Deathmaster, in which he plays a Manson-esque cult leader.
Old 10-07-12, 02:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by terrycloth
Im not huge on Vampire movies and imo they tend to drag, but this one i felt had really good pacing and never had me checking the time on how much was left.

the cat scene was not expected at all on my end got a chuckle out of that and i found the original plan We Will Talk him to death! was hilarious. I didnt even mind the ending which was a bit predictable.

the only scene i felt forced and was just added to add shock value was the implied rape of donna by brudah it was a very minor scene just felt unneeded here.

the return of count yorga worth checking out?
I thought The Return of Count Yorga was even better. Both are creepy.
Old 10-07-12, 03:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

According to my mother I was concieved at a drive-in double bill of this and its sequel. Perhaps explains why I have always loved horror films.
Old 10-08-12, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 962 Likes on 590 Posts

I watched this last night and really enjoyed it. Lots of non-related humor sprinkled in but it doesn't seem out of place. The characters are likable (at least the male characters, the females seem kinda inconsequential). One thing that really saves this movie is that I noticed it lacks the wacky 70's slang, fashions, or haircuts so it almost has a small timeless quality. Don't get me wrong, I know the clothing isn't perfect but no one seemed to be wearing the kind of clothing seen in Scream Blacula Scream for example.

A lot of fun and I look forward to checking out the sequel (note that the sequel is also streaming on Netflix).

My rating: *** out of *****
Old 10-08-12, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^
The lack of period trappings is one of the most positive aspects of the film - most movies that were consciously 'modern' upon their release are also painfully dated now, which is not the case with Yorga. It manages to update the legend without submerging the results in the trendy stylistic and sartorial hits of the early 70's, an era long a source of parody.
Old 10-12-12, 06:45 PM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

According to imdb.com this was originally conceived of as a softcore sex film but altered to be straight horror. I found it to be a fare movie with some subtlety but it felt slow to me at times.
Originally Posted by NoirFan
...Quarry perfectly meshes acidic humor and refined menace in his performance...
I agree Quarry's performance was good.
Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
...the females seem kinda inconsequential...
I noticed this too, maybe that's just a standard of the times but some of the characters could have been better developed.