Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Blacula" Reviews/Discussion - 2012 Horror Challenge: Day 1

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

"Blacula" Reviews/Discussion - 2012 Horror Challenge: Day 1

Old 10-05-12, 02:24 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts
Re: "Blacula" Reviews/Discussion - 2012 Horror Challenge: Day 1

Originally Posted by rbrown498
Could it be the beginning of House on Haunted Hill, by any chance? The Willliam Castle version, natch.
Ah! That's probably it, thanks! I was actually leaning towards thinking it was his memorable turn in a Star Trek episode that may just qualify as horror iirc.
Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
You might be thinking of the scene where he confronts his unfaithful wife (Marie Windsor) in Kubrick's THE KILLING. The scenes with him and Windsor are arguably the best-acted scenes in a film full of great acting.

Back to BLACULA: I saw it when it opened at the Criterion Theater on Broadway in Times Square (the same theater where LAWRENCE OF ARABIA had played for a year a decade earlier and FUNNY GIRL had played for a year four years earlier). I remember a guy in the audience freaking out when the heroes set fire to a bunch of attacking vampires. He blurted out, "You burn witches, not vampires!"

I saw the sequel the following year but don't remember liking it much.

I haven't seen BLACULA in a long time, but I did watch another William Marshall movie over the weekend: DEMETRIUS AND THE GLADIATORS (1954), in which he plays a gladiator who earns his freedom and becomes a Christian. It's a good part and he's quite strong in it.
Haven't seen The Killing yet, always wanted to, guess it wouldn't count this month...

Love that audience comment! I usually demand quiet in my theaters, but occasionally the audience comments really add to the fun.

Demetrius and the Gladiators sounds like one to add to my "to get" list.
Old 10-05-12, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I just remembered a tidbit about the BLACULA showing at the Criterion (summer of '72)--it was the first time we had to pay $3.50 per ticket and my friends and I, who'd come down from the Bronx for the privilege, were mightily pissed at the rise in prices.

After BLACULA, we went to Childs House of Pancakes on 46th and Broadway for a late meal and then went to the Embassy a few doors down to see A CLOCKWORK ORANGE (which might have still been $2.50 a ticket). Those were the days.
The following users liked this post:
Gobear (09-29-21)
Old 10-05-12, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,064 Likes on 644 Posts

I forgot to mention in my original post that I freaking love the William Marshall's (Blacula) voice. It is fantastic. It rivals and possibly even beats James Earl Jones' voice which is saying something. His voice has a ton of presence. Did he ever do much or any voice-over work at all?
Old 10-05-12, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 224 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
I forgot to mention in my original post that I freaking love the William Marshall's (Blacula) voice. It is fantastic. It rivals and possibly even beats James Earl Jones' voice which is saying something. His voice has a ton of presence. Did he ever do much or any voice-over work at all?
Not that it's the same thing, but William Marshall was "The King of Cartoons" on Pee-Wee's Playhouse. I've found myself blurting out "Let the cartoons begin!" in my best William Marshall voice SEVERAL times this week.
The following users liked this post:
Gobear (09-29-21)
Old 10-05-12, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,064 Likes on 644 Posts

Holy shit rbrown498. You just blew my mind. I knew I had seen and heard that voice before. I haven't looked him up on the imdb yet. That just gave me goosebumps.
Old 10-05-12, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Checked out Blacula for exploitation theme day and was blown away. From the cheap schlocky make-up in the beginning to the suave Blacula character in the urban backdrop to the incendiary vampire ending Blacula was a lot more fun that I ever expected. It's a shame the film has such a silly comedic name that betrays how serious it plays out and kept me from checking it out sooner. Very nice ending too.
Old 10-06-12, 03:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

And if you want to check out more of Mr. Marshall (As "The Exorcist"!) this month:

On youtube!
Old 10-06-12, 12:43 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts