Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk Review of NIGHT WATCH

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-11, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 608 Likes on 447 Posts

Is there any possibility of having the "movie ruining plot spoilers" more specifically identified within their respective paragraphs within this review? I've wanted to see this movie for decades but find it rather dismaying to be limited to just the first two paragraphs of the review simply because I haven't been fortunate enough to see the film before now. With most of the Archive-type MOD discs I buy, I enjoy reading reviews beforehand, but in the case of most Mr. Mavis' pieces, I find I'm frequently left out in the cold because of the warnings of massive spoilers and a general lack of reviews of the same discs by other DVDTalk enthusiasts. I'm just curious if ANY of the seven paragraphs that follow the spoiler warning on the NIGHT WATCH review are safe to read for their analysis, or do the all effectively ruin the film for the (many) uninitiated readers who've long waited to see? I realize it's probably some kind of signature on the part of Mr. Mavis, but it might be more considerate to readers to eliminate such spoilers altogether and instead encourage anticipation of them by simply acknowledging that they're there. I've just never seen a movie that can't be effectively researched and analyzed -- especially on a fan review site like this one -- without destroying important surprises in the process, effectively forbidding readers from enjoying a review until after they've already spent the money.

Last edited by Brian T; 11-14-11 at 11:01 PM.
Old 11-15-11, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: DVD Talk Review of NIGHT WATCH

Originally Posted by Brian T

[I]Is there any possibility of having the "movie ruining plot spoilers" more specifically identified within their respective paragraphs within this review? I've wanted to see this movie for decades but find it rather dismaying to be limited to just the first two paragraphs of the review simply because I haven't been fortunate enough to see the film before now.
I can put multiple spoiler warnings throughout the review, Brian, if that would help. That's a good idea.

With most of the Archive-type MOD discs I buy, I enjoy reading reviews beforehand, but in the case of most Mr. Mavis' pieces, I find I'm frequently left out in the cold because of the warnings of massive spoilers and a general lack of reviews of the same discs by other DVDTalk enthusiasts.
That sounds like a roundabout way of saying you'd like to see less M.O.D. reviews from me specifically, Brian....
The other side of that coin, Brian, is that I have many other readers who appreciate the depth I go into for the titles I review. You're the first one I've had that gave me feedback about the plot spoilers.

I'm just curious if ANY of the seven paragraphs that follow the spoiler warning on the NIGHT WATCH review are safe to read for their analysis, or do the all effectively ruin the film for the (many) uninitiated readers who've long waited to see?
Actually, you can read the review right up to the final paragraph, Brian. And again, I think you make a good point, earlier in your post, about putting in multiple, more specific spoiler warnings.

I realize it's probably some kind of signature on the part of Mr. Mavis, but it might be more considerate to readers to eliminate such spoilers altogether and instead encourage anticipation of them by simply acknowledging that they're there.
Putting up a spoiler warning and revealing an important plot point is hardly a signature move on my part alone, Brian. I guess I'm not sure what you're asking for here, though: I should eliminate spoilers altogether in the review, but encourage anticipation of them by acknowledging they're there? You'll have to run that by me again.

I've just never seen a movie that can't be effectively researched and analyzed -- especially on a fan review site like this one -- without destroying important surprises in the process, effectively forbidding readers from enjoying a review until after they've already spent the money.
Well, to be fair, most of the titles I review are older ones where the plots and outcomes are all thoroughly familiar; I'm not really "spoiling" anything. Indeed, in the case of Night Watch, the "surprise" twist has been revealed in other reviews, too (as well, this particular "twist" is purely motivational, not the actual "act," which anyone can figure out just from the conventions of the genre, and from plotpoints that lead to that act). Now, I could write a relatively "safe" review of a whodunit like Night Watch, where I detail the plot, throw out some vague, suggestive indications of why it's good or bad with nothing to back up those relatively pointless assertions, and leave it at that. But you can get that kind of review anywhere on the web--specifically on those "fan review" sites you mention (the level of criticism on DVDTalk from all our writers puts us, I think, on a level above simply "fan review site"). That's not the kind of reviews I write for DVDTalk. And I put the spoiler warning up there to let readers know that.

But again, I think you make a good point about being more specific about where the actual spoilers are coming in the piece, Brian, so you can read more of the review, and I'll do that.