Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"[REC]" Reviews/Discussion - 2011 Horror Challenge: Day 2

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-11, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

[REC] (2007)

Selected by coyoteblue

IMDB ENTRY

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET.

MAIN THREAD | LIST THREAD

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags are unnecessary in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF SPOILERS.

OHMC7 HOME

Old 10-02-11, 12:10 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Re: "[REC]" Reviews/Discussion - 2011 Horror Challenge: Day 2

Thanks for choosing this Coyoteblue. My favorite surprise of 2007, and so much better than the American remake.

Watching it right now, still jumping at the "oh crap" moments and truly enjoying all parts of it so far.
Old 10-02-11, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 229 Likes on 166 Posts

I've seen [REC] three or four times now, and it never fails to unnerve me. It's not that it really does anything new--the "found-footage" aspect of the film was already old hat by the time this film was made (thanks mainly to The Blair Witch Project), the "rage zombie" had been introduced in 28 Days Later, the night-vision photography had been done in The Silence of the Lambs...but the combination of all these influences (along with nods to Night of the Living Dead, The Evil Dead, and even The Exorcist) makes for a very potent horror film. Part of the reason for the film's success is that it takes great care to ground the film in everyday reality before the weird stuff starts happening. I don't think the film would have been nearly as effective without the first ten minutes showing the fire station's normal routine. This ten minutes also gives us time to get to know and care about Angela, the reporter. Once the film kicks into gear, we're on her side, and don't want any harm to come to her. There are at least three tremendous jump scares, and even though I know they're coming, they get me every time. [REC] is easily one of my favorite horror films of the last decade.
Old 10-02-11, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Won't be watching it today since I just watched the sequel yesterday but it is a fantastic film. One of the 3 or 4 best horror films of the 00s. I can't wait for the 3rd.
Old 10-02-11, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by SethDLH
Won't be watching it today since I just watched the sequel yesterday but it is a fantastic film. One of the 3 or 4 best horror films of the 00s. I can't wait for the 3rd.
How was the sequel? Somehow I've never seen it, iirc.
Old 10-02-11, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I liked it a lot but not quite as much as the first. It was scary and fun like the first but a lot of times tension was replaced for action, which I think hurt it a little. There were also a few characters I found annoying. This sounds like I didn't like it haha but I'd give it 8.5/10. Really good follow up.
Old 10-02-11, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Every time I watch a movie I initially loved I'm always afraid to revisit it in case that spark doesn't strike again. After watched [REC] again today I can say that won't ever be a problem with this movie. I agree that it doesn't really do anything new but it's just a wonderful example of everything being done right. I'm looking forward to seeing the sequel now and I think I'll check out the remakes just to see how they compare.
Old 10-02-11, 08:07 PM

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

First time I've seen this movie. And I must say...It rocked. There were quite a few times where I jumped. Totally enjoyed it. Thanks for recommending it Coyoteblue. Now I can't wait to see the sequel.
Old 10-02-11, 08:50 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by takingchase
I'm looking forward to seeing the sequel now and I think I'll check out the remakes just to see how they compare.
That was my morning today. [REC] & [REC]2, followed by Quarantine & Quarantine 2. Much prefer the Spanish films.

This was my 3rd viewing of [REC] and even knowing what's coming, even sitting there thinking "it's coming, it's coming, it's coming," that scene when the camera guy is looking up in the attic still makes me jump. I can only think of one other movie moment (in Jaws) that has that effect on me no matter how many times I see it. Love that!

I thought the sequel was quite good, as well. Not as solid as this one, but still quite enjoyable.
Old 10-02-11, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

What are the thoughts on that stuff at the end; the penthouse? Some sort of Church sanctioned research into curing the 'possession' disease? Or was the guy, whoever he was, a rogue? And of course, just how did the authorities know that the building had to be sealed and quarantined?
Old 10-03-11, 08:51 AM

Received 229 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by coyoteblue
And of course, just how did the authorities know that the building had to be sealed and quarantined?
The explanation given in the film is that Max, the little girl's dog, attacked all the other animals at the vet's, and that they'd never seen anything like that before. So they found the address of the dog's owner and (we can assume) called the CDC (or whatever Spain's version is) to look into it. I'm assuming that it was the CDC that decided to seal off the building.

This is (maybe THE) one instance where the remake did something better--it was explained in Quarantine that after Max attacked all of the other animals at the clinic, within an hour they were all behaving in the same manner. To me, that gives much more credence to the necessity of sealing off the building.
Old 10-03-11, 05:01 PM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

This one does hold up well on multiple viewings. I wasn't planning on it but now feel compelled to go rent [Rec] 2 and Quarantine 2.
Old 10-03-11, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im a fan of rec and well the remake and both have theyre positives.

someone else mentioned it in the main thread but all the pre infection scenes bored the hell out of me and made me dislike the reporter I much prefered the opening scenes in the remake just were more humorous imo.

i still enjoyed rewatching it but i think it hurt that i just watched the remake last month.
Old 10-04-11, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by takingchase
Every time I watch a movie I initially loved I'm always afraid to revisit it in case that spark doesn't strike again. After watched [REC] again today I can say that won't ever be a problem with this movie. I agree that it doesn't really do anything new but it's just a wonderful example of everything being done right. I'm looking forward to seeing the sequel now and I think I'll check out the remakes just to see how they compare.
Originally Posted by tarfrimmer
This was my 3rd viewing of [REC] and even knowing what's coming, even sitting there thinking "it's coming, it's coming, it's coming," that scene when the camera guy is looking up in the attic still makes me jump. I can only think of one other movie moment (in Jaws) that has that effect on me no matter how many times I see it. Love that!
Yep. Probably my third or fourth time seeing it as well, and I still jumped at all the scares. I agree, not too much was completely original, but just a well done film in all respects. I really get immersed in this one, immediately identifying with and caring for pretty much all the building occupants.

Can't wait to share this with my soon-to-be stepdaughter when she gets a little older.

Jaws is my favorite film Tarf. You're referring to the underwater scene at Ben's boat, right?
Originally Posted by Undeadcow
This one does hold up well on multiple viewings. I wasn't planning on it but now feel compelled to go rent [Rec] 2 and Quarantine 2.
I think it was the main thread where someone recently mentioned Redbox stocks the sequel. I'll have to look for it.
Originally Posted by coyoteblue
What are the thoughts on that stuff at the end; the penthouse? Some sort of Church sanctioned research into curing the 'possession' disease? Or was the guy, whoever he was, a rogue? And of course, just how did the authorities know that the building had to be sealed and quarantined?
Originally Posted by rbrown498
The explanation given in the film is that Max, the little girl's dog, attacked all the other animals at the vet's, and that they'd never seen anything like that before. So they found the address of the dog's owner and (we can assume) called the CDC (or whatever Spain's version is) to look into it. I'm assuming that it was the CDC that decided to seal off the building.

This is (maybe THE) one instance where the remake did something better--it was explained in Quarantine that after Max attacked all of the other animals at the clinic, within an hour they were all behaving in the same manner. To me, that gives much more credence to the necessity of sealing off the building.
Yep, my opinions as well. In the original, I just inferred what the remake clarified a bit. American films tend to spell everything out.
Old 10-05-11, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

I am one of those who likes both Rec and Quarantine, but think Rec is vastly superior. If you get the chance, watch REC2 because it explains a lot of the things going on in REC and has a nice twist ending.
Old 10-10-11, 11:56 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Jaws is my favorite film Tarf. You're referring to the underwater scene at Ben's boat, right?
Aye, that'd be the one. I can't even begin to count the number of times that part has made me jump over the decades.

Originally Posted by Darkgod
I am one of those who likes both Rec and Quarantine, but think Rec is vastly superior. If you get the chance, watch REC2 because it explains a lot of the things going on in REC and has a nice twist ending.
I like Quarantine, as well, but I do like the reporter much better in [REC]. I think the actress/character comes off much warmer. Plus, I think the original really benefits from the use of improvisation with the actors.

Interesting interview with Jaume Balagueró here.

I'm really curious to see how the next two films turn out, what with the direction the story seems to be heading after [REC]2.
Old 10-13-11, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,075 Likes on 650 Posts

I saw REC first and Quarantine soon after. Even though Quarantine seemed like an almost shot for shot remake, I came away extremely disappointed and felt that REC was far superior. What's weird is that I couldn't put my finger on exactly why REC is so superior. Don't know if it was because I saw it first or that Q was just missing something. Kinda like Infernal Affairs. I saw it long before The Departed and despised The Departed yet everyone seems to think it is a 5 star movie (I still don't see what everyone sees in it).

I haven't watched it in a year or so but REC was one of those films that stayed with me for several days. I thought it was excellent and one of the least obnoxious "hand-held" films to be released so far.

my rating: ****1/2 out of *****
Old 10-13-11, 04:49 PM

Finally watched the sequel this morning, loved it. Wasn't sure I was going to like the religious angle once they started in that direction, but they did a great job with it imo. Really liked how they connected it into the first film so well, and tied all the stories together.

Continuing in the found footage theme for the day, I'm torturing myself with some Asylum films. I always finish a film once I start it, but oh how I wish I could had hit eject with Monster.
Old 10-13-11, 06:53 PM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

[Rec]2 is an intense followup. The religious tone established in the first seemed like a wild bend but like Trevor said they pulled it off very well. Not as strong as the first due to what seemed to me an awkward plot point at the end but was a very nice complement to this.

Mild sequel spoiler:
Spoiler:
I hated the twist requiring them to use night vision to see the fiend. It was too convenient for the found footage angle breaking the 4th wall (as if the zombies though it would be scarier to viewers in ambiguous night vision).

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-13-11 at 07:22 PM.