Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Creepshow" Reviews/Discussion - 2011 Horror Challenge: Day 12

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 09-25-11, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Creepshow (1982)

Selected by Trevor

IMDB ENTRY

NETFLIX WATCH INSTANTLY

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET.

MAIN THREAD | LIST THREAD

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags are unnecessary in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF SPOILERS.

OHMC7 HOME

Old 10-12-11, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts
Re: "Creepshow" Reviews/Discussion - 2011 Horror Challenge: Day 12

I remember renting this as a child and being terrified of that evil monkey.
Old 10-12-11, 10:46 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 675 Likes on 451 Posts

While I did enjoy it again, and can't recall a better anthology at the moment, if I had known this was for Stephen King Day I probably would have picked something else. Just enjoyed the B&W version of The Mist and am spinning Misery right now. Am in the mood for some Salem's Lot, but doubt I'll be able to stay awake that long.
Old 10-12-11, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,819 Likes on 1,221 Posts

The evil monkey was probably from the Romero movie Monkey Shines. The real terror comes from the fact that Creepshow still hasn't received a decent DVD or Blu-ray release.
Old 10-12-11, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Kurtie Dee
The evil monkey was probably from the Romero movie Monkey Shines. The real terror comes from the fact that Creepshow still hasn't received a decent DVD or Blu-ray release.
Do you mean in terms of extra features? I found the film to look and sound quite good on my BD.
Old 10-12-11, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 224 Likes on 164 Posts

I have to admit--I was rather dreading watching Creepshow again for the Challenge. I've seen it multiple times, including twice in the theater on its first run. It's been a while since I've last seen it, mainly because I've grown tired of it. You know the old saw: Familiarity breeds contempt. So, I was rather surprised by how much I enjoyed it while watching it tonight. Sure, it held no surprises after all these years, but I was able to better appreciate certain aspects of the film, such as the fidelity to the comic book form that the film shows. It also seems that my opinions about the individual stories have changed a bit over the years. I used to love the "Father's Day" segment, but this time around I didn't find a whole lot going on in its favor. I liked the second story a little better than I remember liking it before, and I found the third story with Leslie Nielsen to be my favorite. I think that out of all the segments, "Something to Tide You Over" best captures the feel of the old EC comics. I enjoyed "The Crate" as much as ever, and the final segment made me more uncomfortable than it ever has. I also had fun playing "spot the marble ashtray" in all the segments, and I was reminded how much I liked John Harrison's score for the film (although I think that I like his score for Romero's Day of the Dead even better). I also noticed, for the very first time, that the first song playing on the jukebox in the last segment is the song that plays on the gramophone and during the end credits of The Evil Dead. I wonder what song that is? All in all, I have to admit that Creepshow is a pretty singular achievement in horror cinema, and I'm a little ashamed to have been dreading watching it again.
Old 10-12-11, 11:32 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

listening to the commentary track makes you appreciate the movie even more, if you ask me.
Old 10-12-11, 11:35 PM

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Do you mean in terms of extra features? I found the film to look and sound quite good on my BD.
I agree. The BD actually looks better than I had expected it to look. I was most impressed with the vibrancy of primary colors, particularly reds and blues. I didn't watch it for this challenge because I saw it a few months back, but it has always been a favorite. I would put it at #3 in my horror anthology list, after Dead of Night (1945) and Black Sabbath.
Old 10-13-11, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Watched it last night as well and was really surprised how good it was. Haven't seen it in years since the VHS days..I ike the opening with the shot of the house and the pumpkin. I also didn't know George Romero was behind it. Best story is with monkey and Adrienne Barbeau..Though I still like the Ted and Leslie one.
Old 10-13-11, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

The Blu-ray did indeed look great. I bought a while back and had never taken the time to actually watch it until last night. I hadn't sat down and watched this movie all the way through in years, and by years, I mean probably since I was a kid. And since was one of the earliest horror movies I can really remember seeing. I would have been 5 when it came out in theaters, but I know it got played a bunch on HBO. I distinctly remember watching it with my dad the first time I saw it, which is odd since my parents have never been horror fans.

Upon revisiting it last night, I immediately was taken aback because I had completely forgotten about that opening with the kid and his dad. Then, Father's Day started, and I was shocked again because I totally didn't remember that one at all. And it still didn't really ring any bells for me as I watched it. That one might be my least favorite of the film.

Then the meteor one started, and I realized I had forgotten about that one as well, though it quickly came back to me once it started. It was one of those "oh yeah!" moments. I thought a lot about Men in Black that Vincent D'Onofrio played as I watched it. The characters and performances really had a similar vibe to me. I can remember being slightly distressed over the ending of this one as a kid but found more humor in it this time.

Then came "Something to Tide You Over." I remember that this one really scared the shit out of me when I was a kid. It had a profound impact on me. I was so distressed at the way these character died. I remember it made me uncomfortable, like if you had something under your skin but you can't get it out. Sure enough, it had the same effect on me this time. I don't know if the nature of this story just feeds into certain fears of mine or if it more tapped into that feeling I had when I watched it as a kid.

The Crate was solid. This one was a favorite of mine as a kid because of the monster. Watching it again, it didn't hold up for me as well, but like I said, it was still solid. Talk about shrill! Adrienne Barbeau really takes it to another level. You can tell why her husband would want to kill her. Just shut that mouth already! I guess this was the most graphic story. I was actually sort of struck by some of the gore. I didn't remember it being so gory watching it as a kid and was slightly surprised my parents would have watched it with me.

And then finally we have the cockroaches. For me personally, this story has to be one of the most effective, creepiest things ever put on film. Maybe I can just relate because there are loads of roaches in South Texas, and it's true what they say: they grow things bigger in Texas. They get everywhere. There are lots of palm trees down here, and they live in the damn palms! Among other places, of course ... Anyway, this one really does get under your skin, no pun intended. It freaked me the fuck out way back then, and it still gave me the heebie jeebies last night. Bleh! I don't want to think of it. And I can also say that I have a couple of friends who refuse to watch this segment, absolutely refuse.

And here are a couple of overall impressions. While watching the movie, I kept thinking about Ang Lee's version of the Hulk and how he really wanted to make the film seem like a real comic book. I thought Romero did a really good job of this, though he seemed to push that element more in the beginning (with the split panels) even though I did keep some elements (the page turning, the backgrounds at key moments) throughout all the stories. I just thought this feel might have been what Lee was originally hoping for. It was really something to see the cast assembled for this film, even if some of them maybe weren't big names yet. Leslie Nielsen deserves big props for his performance. Also, one last thing, I was really surprised at how many stories were told here. There were at least five, though you could argue six with the movie's bookends. It seems like most of these anthology films stick to three or four. Maybe I'm off about that, but it just felt like this movie was able to cram a whole lot in.

Anyway, sorry to go on such a long rant; I could probably keep going. This movie just sort of tapped into an old memory bank, and I felt the need to get some of those thoughts out there. I'm sure those childhood memories somewhat cloud my objectivity about the film, but it still was a whole lot of fun.
Old 10-13-11, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
I remember renting this as a child and being terrified of that evil monkey.
Me too. I didn't remember them showing it so much. I thought it mostly stayed in the crate. Granted, the last time I saw it was at work about 16 years ago, which was our station's copy which was naturally edited down, and before that when it first came out on VHS.
Old 10-13-11, 02:51 PM

In all my viewings of this film, I've never once even considered calling the creature in the crate a monkey.

When Ben mentioned it I also thought he was confusing films. I had just finished watching it and couldn't think of where the monkey was. Thought I had blinked and missed a stuffed monkey doll in the kids bedroom or something.

Never really thought about what it was I guess, maybe a yeti, which I guess would be monkey-related.
Old 10-13-11, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Way back when, I always thought it was a Tasmanian devil. I don't know where I got that from but it stuck with me.

Did anyone else notice that the ashtray that was used to kill dad in the first story was used as a soap dish in the last story with bugs? When I saw that, I almost wanted to go back to the rest of the stories and see if it showed up in all of them and that's the reason everyone has bad luck. Bad luck being defined as being killed or covered with grass.
Old 10-13-11, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Enjoyed dewar hung this much more than I thought I would although it sometimes gets too silly. The Crate and bug segments are my favorites. For some reason it is hard for mr to watch Leslie Neilson (sic) in a serious role. I want my cake too!
Old 10-13-11, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,058 Likes on 641 Posts

I watched this movie about a year ago and don't plan on re-watching it since I thought it was just okay. My problem with the movie is that I think I like the comic/magazine/trade/whatever it was way too much. I would seek it out in bookstores as a kid (my Dad hung out in bookstores a lot) and I would find this book and read it over and over again. By the time I was old enough to see the movie, I came away disappointed. The art by Berni Wrightson is just so damn good that I think it spoiled me no matter what they did.

Watching it as an adult, I see that a lot of the likenesses in the book are based on the actors in the movie but the movie still doesn't give me the impact or the creeps that the book did (and still does). I am glad to hear that the BD looks good because the dvd release was a piece of shit.

Now if you really want to talk about a turd...hello Creepshow 2!

My rating: *** out of *****
Old 10-13-11, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I liked Creepshow 2.

Now if you really want to talk about a turd...hello Creepshow 3!
Old 10-13-11, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,058 Likes on 641 Posts

Had no idea there was a Creepshow 3. I can't imagine it being worse than part 2.
Old 10-13-11, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
Had no idea there was a Creepshow 3. I can't imagine it being worse than part 2.
I think I watched all 3 of them a year or two back for the Challenge. Iirc, 3 was much worse than 2, and that was saying a lot.
Old 10-13-11, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
I liked Creepshow 2.

Now if you really want to talk about a turd...hello Creepshow 3!
I haven't seen Creepshow 2 since I was a kid, but I remember liking it, too. As I said in my above comment, though, I recognize that my judgement could be clouded because of the nostalgia factor. But as I said, I haven't seen it since I was little.

I still haven't seen Creepshow 3, mainly because I suspected it was a turd.
Old 10-13-11, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's a DTV low budget turd that I can only imagine they later thought the investment to buy the Creepshow name would help sales. It's been so long since I've but I think they may have had some bad costumed crypt keeper type guy hosting it as well.
Old 10-14-11, 11:57 AM

yes, just talking about extra features. I haven't seen the BD yet.

I went ahead and watched this last night - I can watch it about once a year - and appreciated it much much more than usual.

Pretty much everything works perfectly for what the movie wants to do.

I was under the impression that the BD had no extras, though. Does it have a commentary track? This is a movie that could really stand to have an hour-long making of doc, plus seamless branching of deleted scenes, etc ...
Old 10-14-11, 12:16 PM

The BD has just the trailer iirc. Normally I don't upgrade if there aren't new special features, but for $5 I couldn't resist.
Old 10-14-11, 01:12 PM

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

The BD has just the trailer iirc. Normally I don't upgrade if there aren't new special features, but for $5 I couldn't resist.
My upgrade was a birthday gift so I really couldn't resist.
Old 10-14-11, 02:32 PM

I might not resist either. The DVD looks way worse than I remembered it ...
Old 10-14-11, 04:22 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtie Dee
yes, just talking about extra features. I haven't seen the BD yet.

I went ahead and watched this last night - I can watch it about once a year - and appreciated it much much more than usual.

Pretty much everything works perfectly for what the movie wants to do.

I was under the impression that the BD had no extras, though. Does it have a commentary track? This is a movie that could really stand to have an hour-long making of doc, plus seamless branching of deleted scenes, etc ...
only the UK DVD, is a "special edition" which includes:

Disc 1:

Disc 2:

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.