Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Poultrygeist" Reviews/Discussion - 2011 Horror Challenge: Day 15

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-11, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead (2006)

Selected by SterlingBen

IMDB ENTRY

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET.

MAIN THREAD | LIST THREAD

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags are unnecessary in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF SPOILERS.

OHMC7 HOME

Old 10-03-11, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts
Re: "Poultrygeist" Reviews/Discussion - 2011 Horror Challenge: Day 15

Poultrygeist is also on Hulu

http://www.hulu.com/watch/149013/pou...r-and-Suspense
Old 10-11-11, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

This movie is checklist gold excising "Night of..." and "Attack of..." plus comedy and maybe musical (I haven't seen it yet but some claimed musical last year).
Old 10-15-11, 08:32 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Definitely a musical. The music numbers and lead actress are probably the only parts I almost like.
Old 10-15-11, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

For anyone on the fence because this is a Troma flick, well, it's worth checking out. You might say it's their Godfather.
Old 10-15-11, 02:56 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Just make sure you have a strong stomach and like 103 minutes of juvenile extremely raunchy sex jokes.
Old 10-15-11, 07:30 PM

Received 229 Likes on 166 Posts

Out of all the films in this year's checklist, this is the one that I was most dreading watching. Why? Because I hate the garbage that Troma churns out. I can't think of a single Troma film that I've ever enjoyed, so I stopped watching them around twenty years ago. Once I saw that Kaufman and Herz were going to ride the unexpected success of The Toxic Avenger for all it was worth, I gave up on the company. But then, in the weeks leading up to this year's challenge, I saw several posts from forum members who seemed to enjoy Poultrygeist. After reading those posts, I thought that maybe something unique was going on with this film. It even had a "fresh" rating on Rotten Tomatoes. So, although I was dreading it, I went into the viewing of Poultrygeist with as open a mind as I could muster. My goodwill toward the film lasted about ten minutes. Once the first song was over, I realized that I was back in the same familiar ghetto that all Troma films inhabit (a.k.a. Tromaville). So, instead of dumping all over the film, I'll now list the meager rewards the film offered me: Kate Graham, who is cute enough to keep me watching her; the use of the term "lesbiotic"; and Jason Yachanin's reaction to seeing what was under Humus's traditional Muslim wardrobe. Okay, there. That's all the nice stuff I can say, except that I'm glad I only rented the DVD.
Old 10-15-11, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im gonna watch this in a little bit but i love this film, but im a huge troma fan. I get why people dont like em but for the most part its brainless fun with plenty of gore to keep me busy. if i had one complaint they do get a bit TOO juvenile. which overshadows when they do something really amusing/clever/original they cover it with penis jokes.
Old 10-15-11, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This was pretty bad, about as bad as it gets. The only redeeming thing is it fills several slots on the checklist.
Old 10-15-11, 10:33 PM

Like Terrycloth said under all the juvenile humor is a clever film with that pulls off an ambitious premise. The musical numbers were a brilliant idea and this film had a lot of social commentary I prefer in horror movies. The clerk fighting his future underachiever self was really clever. Even the in-your-face juvenile humor seemed to be in place to sarcastically jab at the viewer. Often the humor is so low brow it made me struggle with feeling so stuck up to be offended but it was often a real turn off. Troma knows how to have fun and doesn't pull any punches. The first third of the movie falls flat with cheap bathroom humor but the last third of the film is brilliant with great/intense effects and a fun twists.
Old 10-16-11, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

I'm not at all surprised at some of the hate for the film, but I enjoy it. I do agree that at time the juvenile and potty humor is too much, but it's Troma. What do you expect? But there are plenty of parts that make me laugh. I enjoy the ample gore, and it's not so bad if I find a film that makes me squirm a little bit, even if it is because of shit humor. So, I get some laughs, a few tunes, the thrill of gore and I even squirm a little bit. Can't ask for much more. But again, I certainly understand why some people would *hate* this movie.
Old 10-16-11, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
This movie is checklist gold excising "Night of..." and "Attack of..." plus comedy and maybe musical (I haven't seen it yet but some claimed musical last year).
I forgot to mention that I was not aware of the alternate "Attack of ..." title and shamelessly used that one. Thanks for mentioning that because I needed one of those.
Old 10-16-11, 07:29 PM

They're in the same league as being juvenile so I wonder if Kaufman would admit a Gwar influence on Poultrygeist with all the over the top gore and thick latex costumes. I happened on a Gwar concert when they opened for (now old) new Misfits and for the next week my car seats were colored red from all the fake blood. ...Not that Gwar has cornered the market on flowing gore, veiny prosthetics, and bathroom humor.

Edit: Can anyone who has seen Henenlotter's Bad Biology make a comparison with Poultrygeist? I suspect Bad Biology will be better.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-16-11 at 07:37 PM.
Old 10-16-11, 07:48 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

it's certainly one of the most over the top Troma film, but I think at 103 minutes, 15-20 minutes could easily have been trimmed - the pacing feels off at times.
Old 10-17-11, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
They're in the same league as being juvenile so I wonder if Kaufman would admit a Gwar influence on Poultrygeist with all the over the top gore and thick latex costumes. I happened on a Gwar concert when they opened for (now old) new Misfits and for the next week my car seats were colored red from all the fake blood. ...Not that Gwar has cornered the market on flowing gore, veiny prosthetics, and bathroom humor.

Edit: Can anyone who has seen Henenlotter's Bad Biology make a comparison with Poultrygeist? I suspect Bad Biology will be better.
I don't really think those two make a good comparison at all. I didn't think Bad Biology was a potty humor comedy. The tones are much, much different. Plus, one is focused more on sex and the characters' sexual abnormalities and the other is focused on problems arising from bad chicken.

Originally Posted by Giles
it's certainly one of the most over the top Troma film, but I think at 103 minutes, 15-20 minutes could easily have been trimmed - the pacing feels off at times.
I think a song or two should have been cut. It feels song heavy early on, and it's not like they stuck with the musical conceit the entire time.
Old 10-21-11, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,079 Likes on 654 Posts

Well, I didn't hate the movie but I certainly didn't like it either. Just not my kinda movie. I like some gross humor but this one is so full of shit (literally) that it flows over the top of the toilet and then fills the bathroom. Just too much. I will admit that I was pleased at how ambitious the whole project seemed but it seemed to suffer from having just too much of everything. Too many lame songs, so many nasty titties, too many scat jokes, too many gross-out effects. Just too much. Gag.

One thing that really surprised me was how much it looked like it was filmed right after the original Toxic Avenger. Maybe it was because it was filmed on 35mm but the actors, the effects, the film stock, the camera style, even a lot of the costumes and clothing looked just like it was 1985. Weird.

My rating: ** out of *****
Old 10-21-11, 11:59 PM

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Couldn't get through the whole movie. I tried but I just couldn't do it. The only positive thing I can say is that the lead actress was a hottie. This was my first Troma movie and it'll probably be my last.
Old 10-22-11, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Late to my own suggestion.

As a fan of vintage Troma I was disappointed with Toxie 4 and Terror Firmer but using those 2 to recalibrate my expectations for this one (and the liberal use of alcohol) I had a pretty good time here. And yes as mentioned the lead actress was a hottie-bo-bottie. In fact I can't think of a Troma lead actress I have liked as much as her since Janelle Brady from the first Class Of Nuke 'Em High in '86.

3.5 out of 5 (given the right frame of mind)