Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"The Stepfather" Reviews/Discussion - 2011 Horror Challenge: Day 19

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 09-25-11, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

The Stepfather (1987)

Selected by takingchase

IMDB ENTRY

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET.

MAIN THREAD | LIST THREAD

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags are unnecessary in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF SPOILERS.

OHMC7 HOME

Old 10-19-11, 06:43 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts
Re: "The Stepfather" Reviews/Discussion - 2011 Horror Challenge: Day 19

Bump.

To save people time; it's not streaming on Netflix or Hulu. Hopefully I have the DVD at home somewhere.
Old 10-19-11, 02:30 PM

It's all over youtube, streaming it now. Much better than the recent remake.

Last edited by Trevor; 10-20-11 at 03:30 PM. Reason: remove sig
Old 10-19-11, 02:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed, this is one of the films that never should have been re-made. I don't remember the beginning being as bloody as it is. My memory must be fading.
Old 10-19-11, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

I watched the remake of this last year. I think it was last year. Anyway, it was a huge step down from the original. I suppose it was compromised from the start because I'm sure it was required to be PG-13. I think the Blu-ray of this that I ordered arrives today. I'm looking forward to revisiting it.
Old 10-19-11, 04:13 PM

Loved it. YouTube has the 1989 sequel as well. Like the opening so far, but can't imagine it will hold up.
Old 10-19-11, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love this movie and the sequel as well. The first movie is clearly higher quality, but Terry O'Quinn in this role is really something special. I never tire of this performance.
Old 10-19-11, 10:39 PM

Received 224 Likes on 164 Posts

Man, but I used to love this movie! I still sometimes catch myself saying "Buckle up for safety!" to people putting on their seat belts. It's probably been 15 years since I'd seen The Stepfather, so I was keen to rewatch it tonight. It didn't hold up quite as well as I had hoped...the music score sounded just like dozens of other cheap thrillers from the '80s, the romantic subplot between the teenagers was awful, and every once in a while the Jerry Blake character lapsed into a Freddie Kruegeresque one-liner. But, for every groan-inducing one-liner, there's a quotable line such as "Wait a minute...who am I here?" Still, after nearly 25 years, the film works. It was the first time I'd ever seen Terry O' Quinn in a film, and I became an instant fan. I also developed a pretty big film crush on Jill Schoelen--what ever happened to her? Even though The Stepfather has lost some of its luster over the years, it's still a pretty solid little thriller, with a rousing finale and a career-making performance by Terry O' Quinn.
Old 10-19-11, 10:48 PM

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

This was a first time viewing for me. Never saw the remake. I totally enjoyed Terry O'Quinn in this. So evil.. Great movie.
Old 10-20-11, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by shellebelle
This was a first time viewing for me. Never saw the remake. I totally enjoyed Terry O'Quinn in this. So evil.. Great movie.
Same here. I loved the left turn when the handsome protagonist who has been searching for O'Quinn shows up for a confrontation and gets ganked immediately, leaving the daughter and mom to kill the bad guy.
Old 10-20-11, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Gobear
Same here. I loved the left turn when the handsome protagonist who has been searching for O'Quinn shows up for a confrontation and gets ganked immediately, leaving the daughter and mom to kill the bad guy.
Loved that too. And the "Who am I here?" line is just so perfect!

Really enjoyed the sequel as well, mainly due to O'Quinn.
Old 10-20-11, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

I thought I'd caught this in its entirety, but apparently it was just bits and pieces over the years. Loved it though. A mesmerizing performance from Terry O'Quinn.

And looks like Dexter took a few notes from this guy.

Originally Posted by rbrown498
I also developed a pretty big film crush on Jill Schoelen--what ever happened to her?
According to a recent Fangoria article she's currently an investor in Broadway musicals. And considering getting back in the acting game. Let's hope that happens because the years have definitely been kind to her.

Originally Posted by Gobear
I loved the left turn when the handsome protagonist who has been searching for O'Quinn shows up for a confrontation and gets ganked immediately, leaving the daughter and mom to kill the bad guy.
Totally out of left field. All that wasted effort for and pent up aggression for nothing. Loved it.
Old 10-20-11, 09:11 PM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

I enjoyed a first time viewing of this but going in a story about an evil stepfather seemed kind of off, like something you'd get from Troma. I loved the existential themes and all together they pulled it off well. I remember seeing these movies at the rental store as a kid, when my parents wouldn't let me watch horror movies, so it's good to finally catch it.

Who am I here?
Old 10-28-11, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,064 Likes on 644 Posts

Another one of those movies I always meant to watch but never got around to it. I remember the video boxes of it and it's sequels quite well from the rental stores as a teen. I have to say I was quite surprised and really enjoyed the movie. Terry O' Quinn does a great job of creating a believable monster that you would never suspect. His very subdued mutter to himself or his lips quivering ever so slightly were nice touches. I remembered the teen from various movies from a long time ago but couldn't remember from what. She has a very memorable voice and it was a nice surprise flash of nudity as well. She they said her character was 16, I didn't figure we would get any since I suspected Shelly Hack wasn't going to strip.

The very first scene with him completely cleaned up and just nonchalantly walking past the gruesome scene it had committed was very well done. They didn't have to show the killings for you to know that this guy is one sick puppy. The BD had a nice little documentary on the movie but was sadly missing any input from O'Quinn or even Hack. It did have the sequels trailers and that looked horrible.

My rating: ***1/2 out of *****