Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Deathdream" Reviews/Discussion - 2011 Horror Challenge: Day 22

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-11, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Deathdream (1974)

Selected by Mondo Kane

IMDB ENTRY

NETFLIX WATCH INSTANTLY

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET.

MAIN THREAD | LIST THREAD

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags are unnecessary in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF SPOILERS.

OHMC7 HOME

Old 10-22-11, 09:31 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Re: "Deathdream" Reviews/Discussion - 2011 Horror Challenge: Day 22

Wow. I wasn't expecting much from this film, but it was very entertaining, well-made, and thought provoking. Didn't notice until after viewing that it was directed by Bob Clark, so that explains the directorial competence. Then see that we had Tom Savini's make-up effects debut here!

The ending is perhaps the best one I've seen all month. Incredible film. Thanks Mondo Kane!
Old 10-22-11, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I clicked on the thread link to post a comment, and then I saw the poster and panicked, thinking this must be some other movie called "Deathdream" because I didn't recognize the poster or the images from the movie (it's been a few years and I really need to see this again).

This was a sad movie. I always tell people this is one of the best movies that shows what it's often like for families when soldiers return home from the war. My cousin came back from Iraq and...he was haunted, is the best way I can think to describe it. It's so difficult to balance the feeling of being grateful to have someone home with the feeling of not knowing what to say or how to help them cope with a life that is haunted by memories of things you can't even imagine (death, terror, war). The movie also reminded me of "The Monkey's Paw" which is a story I've loved since I was a kid.
Old 10-22-11, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An absolutely superb film, and one of the finest horror films of the 1970's. I remember renting it on VHS when I was a kid and being simultaneously memorized and creeped out. The eerie atmospherics are wonderfully conveyed, and the performances are quite good - it's great to see Lynn Carlin and John Marley reunited, once again playing a fractured married couple as in Faces. Bob Clark showed genuine genre promise with this, Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things and Black Christmas, which makes his descent into soulless dreck like the Porky's films and those Baby Genius abominations all the sadder. I've asked BU a few times about getting a Blu-ray of Deathdream, but never got a response. VCI is apparently working on a BD of Children... though.
Old 10-22-11, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Then see that we had Tom Savini's make-up effects debut here!
Yeah, nice to have a debut featured in the subset section!

I think I was reminded to pick this one after I heard it mentioned in a Aqua Teen episode.

If there are negative reviews that I find for this, it's mostly from (*ahem* younger) viewers who are frustrated to figure out what kind of "monster" Andy is supposed to be. But I find that to be a key for Clark's horror classics. Just as to not knowing why "Billy" is on a killing spree in Black Christmas is what makes that film scarier.

The Horrors-of-war factor really came through much more on my 2nd viewing and that ending continues to haunt me.
Old 10-22-11, 10:13 PM

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

I really enjoyed this one. I like the message behind the film, especially having a father who's a Vietnam veteran and knowing everything that he went through. Unfortunately, the ending was ruined for me due to a spoiler that was revealed in the
Spoiler:
Dead and Buried
discussion thread.
Old 10-22-11, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 229 Likes on 166 Posts

Also known as Dead of Night (among other titles), Deathdream is a relentlessly grim film from the gang that gave the world Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things. While I love Children, I have yet to warm up to this one as much, although by all measurable standards it's a much better film. I think that my problem with Deathdream is that it's such a downer, with absolutely nothing to relieve the film's relentless march to an unhappy ending. Deathdream has an incredible cast, especially for such a low-budget example of regional filmmaking. It also offers a really intriguing analogy to the plight of returning Vietnam war veterans, highlighting the feelings of being dead inside that many of these men felt upon coming home. Deathdream features early makeup work by Tom Savini and one of the few movie roles for Jane Daly, who should have been a much bigger star. Keep an eye out for cameos from Alan Ormsby and Bob Clark, Deathdream's writer and director. Worth seeing--but not on a regular basis.
Old 10-22-11, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found this film to be very underrated, personally.

I blind-bought the DVD a couple years ago on a whim, and greatly enjoyed it.
Old 10-23-11, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bladz
Unfortunately, the ending was ruined for me due to a spoiler that was revealed in the
Spoiler:
Dead and Buried
discussion thread.
My apologies! I had figured putting a spoiler tag on the name of the film would have only caused people to click on it anyway.
Old 10-29-11, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,074 Likes on 650 Posts

Really liked this movie. I came in not expecting much but was pleasantly surprised by an interesting story, solid acting, and great effects for such an obvious low budget film. The lead guy is super, duper creepy. I much prefer the alternative title "Dead Of Night" to "Deathdream." The ending is solid and the whole movie is more sad than horrific.

Great choice. It's a shame you never hear about this film today.

My rating: ***1/2 out of *****