Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Film Noir Classic Collection, Vol. 5'

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 07-26-10, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Jamie S. Rich's DVD review of Film Noir Classic Collection, Vol. 5 at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=43189 and... I'm surprised that he would think "The Blue Dahlia" might be issued by WHV since it's a Paramount title ...
Old 08-24-10, 07:04 PM

Re: DVD Talk review of 'Film Noir Classic Collection, Vol. 5'

I'm shocked and surprised that the reviewer had never heard of any of these films. And he's suppose to be knowledgeable about film.
Old 08-24-10, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by irajoel
I'm shocked and surprised that the reviewer had never heard of any of these films. And he's suppose to be knowledgeable about film.
A cheap-shot, meaningless post if you're serious.

So according to you, being "knowledgeable about film" is largely measured by those who are on familiar terms with Desperate, Cornered, The Phenix City Story, Dial 1119, Armored Car Robbery, Backfire, and Deadline at Dawn, and if not...you're SOL at being a reviewer?

What's your expertise on movies--I'm sorry: "film?" Because the blanket condemnation of your sniffy little post implies you got it down pat. Like you know every "film." Can you link a couple of your reviews or published works or blog entries so we can all get an idea of your reach, since you feel confident enough to call out a professional here with nothing more than a snotty rejoinder?
Old 08-24-10, 09:43 PM
Emeritus Reviewer

I have to admit, I find the your post pretty amusing, "irajoel." I suppose you'd prefer I lie and pretend to know something about every movie ever made instead of sharing with the readers what kind of viewing experience I am having. Having worked in a video store once upon a time, I can tell you, every film you've never heard of is somebody's favorite, and every one of your favorite films is somebody else's new discovery.

Standing around and pretending you know everything is just going to get you in trouble. There is always someone who is going to know more, or you know, the law of averages dictates you're going to get something wrong every once in a while. Like assuming that The Blue Dahlia will end up in one place and not double-checking what studio actually controls the rights. Woops.

Frankly, irajoel, you need to get out more if this is really all that shocking. And, thanks, Paul, for sticking up for me!