Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Horror Film Club (July 19th) - Event Horizon

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-10, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Event Horizon (1997)

IMDB | Trailer | Review

Selected by Fist of Doom.

SYNOPSIS:
Spoiler:
It's name: Event Horizon. The high-tech, pioneering research spacecraft mysteriously vanished, without a trace, on its maiden voyage seven years earlier.
But a weak, persistent signal from the long-missing craft prompts a rescue team, headed by the intrepid Captain Miller (Laurence Fishburne, The Matrix and Mission: Impossible III), to wing its way through the galaxy on a bold rescue mission.
Accompanying Miller is his elite crew and the lost ship's designer (Sam Neill, Jurassic Park); their mission is to find and salvage the state-of-the-art spacecraft.
What they uncover instead is state-of-the-art interstellar horror. Kathleen Quinlan (Apollo 13) and Joely Richardson (TV's Nip/Tuck) also star in this gripping sci-fi thriller.

FUN FACTS
Director Paul W.S. Anderson was forced to cut over 20 minutes of violent scenes so the film could reach the R-rating.

The Event Horizon was modeled on Notre Dame cathedral. Its interior is filled with cruciform shapes.

The Event Horizon was named after the theoretical boundary surrounding a black hole, within which gravitational attraction is so great that nothing, not even radiation, can escape because the escape velocity is greater than the speed of light.

Spoiler tags are unnecessary in these discussion threads, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF SPOILERS.

Horror Film Club Home

Old 07-20-10, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts
Re: Horror Film Club (July 19th) - Event Horizon

Event Horizon is a classic, one of my favorites. Everyone go check this out now, run don't walk. I recall seeing this on sale for less than $5 at Circuit City one Black Friday and felt mad they would mark this down that low (I almost bought a duplicate copy just because).

Now I noticed the CGI at places is a little outdated. People say this is a Solaris knock-off and I can see the parallels but think that Event Horizon holds it own taking off in a different direction. I think it would have been much more effective if they left the gateway destination unknown rather than explain it away in a religious context.
Old 07-21-10, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

Such an awesome movie. It's got it all, good scares, gore, great acting. And all the while in space. I love that the trip through the hole is a trip through hell basically. Excellent movie IMO. 7/10
Old 07-30-10, 09:17 PM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

This is certainly an interesting movie. It reminds me of Hellraiser (in a good way). Great acting and definitely a good plot. It doesn't hurt that Paul Anderson is one of my favorite directors. All in all a great selection.
Old 07-30-10, 09:29 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

One of my favorites, perhaps my 2nd favorite sci-fi/horror after Alien.
Old 08-01-10, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The first time I saw EH, I'm pretty sure I both shit my pants and slept with a nightlight for a week.

It's definitely a movie I will revisit.
Old 08-02-10, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by orlmac
This is certainly an interesting movie. It reminds me of Hellraiser (in a good way). Great acting and definitely a good plot. It doesn't hurt that Paul Anderson is one of my favorite directors. All in all a great selection.
Definitely Hellraiser in space.

I hadn't seen the film in a long while, so I decided to re-visit it last month since I picked up the Blu-Ray really cheap. Still as fun as I remember it. Great atmosphere.
Old 08-15-10, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Definitely Hellraiser in space.
I was about to post the exact same thing.

Well, it took me this long to see the movie because after getting two different BDs from Netflix, both which would not work in any of my BD players, I had to settle for a copy of the regular dvd from them. Disappointing because after watching this, I assume the film looks pretty grand in HD.

Anyway, I was no where near as impressed with this film as the other posters. It's not scary other than a few expected jump scares, the CG is dated and poor in several areas and even the acting seemed a little stilted in some scenes. The production values (other than the CG) are quite good though but you have seen this story and the characters many times before.

The Cooper scene where he is blown off the Lewis & Clark needs to be "lucased." The Eddie Murphy delivery of "Why does this shit always happen to me" and then "I'm coming motherfuckers" was so lame that it completely took me out of the movie at that important part. And why did Weir shoot thru the glass blowing the hull even when he/it knew better? That really made no sense.

I will say that the regular dvd dts track has some house shaking bass. My wife came to the basement twice to see what was going on. And I didn't even have it cranked. I personally enjoyed more recent takes on the "weird ship/place in future/space that needs investigating" much more than this film, such as Pandorum, Sunshine, and even Dead Space (the movie and the video game). It was refreshing to see two minor characters actually survive to the end but all in all, this movie is just so-so. Great for a rental but no where near the "classic" status some people are stating.

I actually rented this movie only a couple of years ago and had absolutely no memory of it at all. What does that tell you? Don't believe the hype.

My rating: *** out of *****
Old 08-20-10, 04:37 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've watched this film a few times but still havn't figured out what all the fuss was about. It just didn't grab me-