Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Horror Film Club (March 22nd) - The Legend of Hell House

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-10, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

The Legend of Hell House (1973)

IMDB | Trailer | Review

Selected by brianluvdvd.

SYNOPSIS:
Spoiler:
It sits there, shrouded in mist and mystery, a nesting place for living evil and terror from the dead. It's Hell House.
Roddy McDowall heads the cast of this exciting chiller about four psychic investigators and the dark, brooding mansion they themselves call "the Mt. Everest of haunted houses."
It's already destroyed one team of researchers. Now this brave quartet ventures in for another try at unraveling its secret.
But before they succeed, they must suffer through madness, murder and everything else the spirits that dwell here have in store for them.
Yet learning the truth just might drive them all insane. An ingeniously-devised ghost story, THE LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE will thrill and delight veteran horror fans from the first creaking door to the very last slithering shadow.

FUN FACTS: The unsettling tales of Emeric Belasco's acts of debauchery and evil at Hell House were loosely based on stories involving real-life Satanist Aleister Crowley.
Richard Matheson's screenplay drastically reduced some of the more extreme elements of the novel, particularly the sexuality to give the film a more brooding atmosphere.

Spoiler tags are unnecessary in these discussion threads, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF SPOILERS.

Horror Film Club Home

Last edited by Chad; 05-02-10 at 05:09 PM.
Old 03-21-10, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,833 Likes on 1,229 Posts
Re: Horror Film Club (March 22nd) - The Legend of Hell House

Why does the skull have an olive in its eye?

Anyway, looking forward to the discussion on this one!
Old 03-21-10, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm planning on joining in the discussion after watching the movie tomorrow night.
Is there a book based on this movie? I think it would be interesting if there is.
Old 03-21-10, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JOE29
I'm planning on joining in the discussion after watching the movie tomorrow night.
Is there a book based on this movie? I think it would be interesting if there is.
The film was adopted from a novel:

Last edited by Fist of Doom; 03-24-10 at 03:05 PM.
Old 03-22-10, 08:23 PM

I just watched the movie. I can remember seeing this on ABC way back in the 70's.
It was an ok movie, I particularly like the first sayonce when she gets possessed by
that voice. Just another haunted house flick, but it was ok.
oh, and thanks for the book recommendation, I'll have to look it up.

One more thing- It says Widescreen on the Amazon site but it looked kind of funny to me,
it looked fullscreeen, with a lot of those cropped head shots that I noticed.
I was sitting there thinking this looks horrible in fullscreen, but it says it's not.
I don't know, maybe it just an older movie.

Last edited by JOE29; 03-22-10 at 08:45 PM.
Old 03-23-10, 05:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The disc I have, and the only one I'm aware of in region 1, is widescreen non-anamorphic. Perhaps your display did some funny stretching with the image?
Old 03-23-10, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Watched this last night and thought it was pretty good. I honestly don't think I had ever heard of it until it was selected for the horror club. Good atmosphere, but not overly scary, reminded me a little of House on Haunted Hill. Great performance by Pamela Franklin. Wonder whatever happened to her? According to IMDB, she has no credits after 1981.
Old 03-24-10, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am awaiting my rental.
Old 03-24-10, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a poster for this as a kid(different than posted here). I liked it but can't remember much about it.
Old 03-25-10, 09:54 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Watched this last night. After the first 10 minutes, I was thinking this had classic or personal favorite written all over it. I actually seriously contemplated pausing it, coming to this thread, and thanking the chooser for introducing me to this film that I've somehow neglected all these years.

But then the movie continued.

I rarely say this, but I think I hated it. It had a great premise, so therefore potential to be quite good, but the performances and most of the writing just seemed off, and mediocre to nonsensical to me. The scientist who I thought was supposed to be a skeptic seems to accept way too much way too easily, the group seems to just plunge into things without a plan or even asking what seemed like should be must-know questions of each other, and some of the characters antipathy towards the others wasn't logical or explained very well.

I found myself thinking 'oh come on!' much too often, and was bored by midpoint. It was sort of a chore to get through, and the ending wasn't particularly satisfying for me.

A couple ok scares I guess, and a slight sense of foreboding was evident and nice throughout.
Old 03-25-10, 09:22 PM

[QUOTE=Trevor;10070161A couple ok scares I guess, and a slight sense of foreboding was evident and nice throughout.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's probably about what I though. I probably won't watch this again until the next horror challenge. It will sit on my shelf till then.
I was disappointed in Roddy when that lady comes on to him and he just slaps her in the face- yeah that's what i'd do. I'm afraid not.
Old 03-27-10, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't like this.

When I was a kid, we had this grainy old VHS documentary thing talking about "Haunted Hollywood" and ghost stories that were associated with the making of certain movies, and this movie was on there. My mom would never let us watch it, but I always wanted to see it because the clips shown on that documentary were so cool (I forget what "ghost" was supposedly associated with the movie though). So I was excited to finally get a chance to see it, and then like Trevor said, after the first ten minutes or so, I was bored. I honestly don't get what was so bad about this movie that my mom thought my brother and I shouldn't see it. Maybe she thought it would bore us to death.
Old 03-27-10, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

I actually watched this one during the last Horror Movie Challenge. I thought it was all right, and its rating reminded me just how different a PG film used to be. There's no way it would get that rating now, not that it was real extreme or anything like that.
Old 03-29-10, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

I don't think its a horrible movie, but I do think it is watered down from seeing other versions of a similar story. (The Haunting, House on Haunted Hill, The Others, etc. etc.) Some parts are creepy, but most of it is just your basic haunted house movie. The shots where pretty good I thought, but it had a lot of the typical 70's cliched camera movements. Anyway 6/10
Old 10-14-10, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by mdnitoil
The disc I have, and the only one I'm aware of in region 1, is widescreen non-anamorphic. Perhaps your display did some funny stretching with the image?
My dvd is anamorphic and looked pretty good even though it appears no real restoration was done. I didn't really noticed any crazy framing that the other poster mentioned but there are several scenes where the camera does odd close-ups or angles which I suppose was meant to discomfort the audience some.

I know. I am quite late to the party on my own movie choice. I started it way back in March and got interrupted and decided to restart it for October. Anyway, this time I went in with more of a critical adult eye instead of watching it blankly as a kid and spooking myself out.

I have to admit that I agree with most of the posters here. While I still
enjoyed the picture, you definitely have to have patience with it. It does seem to drag in places and the spooky stuff really amounts to creepy whispers and the occasional overacting. I do agree that the payoff is not that great in the end but the whole movie still has great atmosphere throughout. I like that the main protagonist dies and Mrs. Tanner's possessions always creep me out. That voice is just odd.

And I do love Roddy McDowell. He does his own overacting here and there in the movie but overall he delivers an interesting character all his own.

So...my adult critical rating: ***1/2 out of *****

By the way, has anyone here read the book? I have always meant to check it out but always seem to forget to. Is it worth picking up?