Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Shaun of the Dead reviews/discussion - 2009 DVDTalk Horror Challenge Day 29

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-09, 07:11 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

IMDB link for Shaun of the Dead (2004)

Selection made by cardsfan111.

These "2009 DVDTalk Horror Challenge Day #" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 Films in 31 Days subset.

General discussion on the 2009 DVDTalk Horror Challenge goes here, your list for the Challenge goes here.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day. You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day. Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags will not be needed, as it will be expected that anyone here has seen the film.

Do not read this thread if you have not seen the film, unless you don't mind the ending being spoiled for you.
Old 10-30-09, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts
Re: Shaun of the Dead reviews/discussion - 2009 DVDTalk Horror Challenge Day 29

First time viewing for me. I did enjoy the movie, though I thought I'd like it more, considering how popular it is with folks. The first part of the movie seemed really "slow" to me. Guess I'm accustomed to most horror films pulling you in quickly, this one had a hard time doing that.
Old 10-30-09, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

^ I honestly think the movie plays better with multiple viewings. I was slightly underwhelmed the first time I saw it based on the hype, but I now consider it a favorite.
Old 10-30-09, 10:24 AM

^^ I thought the opening scene was brilliant! Yes, it's slower than most horror though.

Of course, I could be misremembering, haven't watched it this year yet.
Old 10-30-09, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I watched this for the first time last night and must say, I was a little disappointed in it. I had heard so many good things about it, maybe my expectations were just too high. I amost turned it off within the first thirty minutes, but stuck with it and it did get better once the zombie action started. I'll give it another shot some day and maybe I'll enjoy it a little more.
Old 10-30-09, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

I've found this film does improve with repeat viewings. Because the movie is a little schizophrenic, nobody's expectations are met the first time.

I'll take the opposite tack ... I actually thought the first half was better than the second half ... but that is the problem I have (don't get me wrong, I still like this film). The first half of the film, as well as the marketing of, portray it as a spoof of zombie films ... then, somewhere along the way, the movie loses its way and becomes the very thing that it was poking fun at.
Old 10-31-09, 12:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll agree that this movie does get a lot better with repeated viewings, much like Hot Fuzz. I didn't like either movie all that much but after rewatching them both more times than I can count they have become favorites of mine.

The jukebox scene with Queen is pretty much perfect.
Old 10-31-09, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by takingchase
The jukebox scene with Queen is pretty much perfect.
That and the scene where they're throwing albums at the zombies are my two favorites.
Old 10-31-09, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

I tip my hat to the production of the DVD. There are two audio commentary tracks, plus a pop-up trivia track (the most interesting of the three, IMHO). There are deleted scenes, behind-the-scenes materials, etc. To be a single-disc release, they packed quite a lot of material into this. Not being a major zombie (or even horror) fan, most of the references throughout the film were lost on me, but my wife (who grew up loving the genre) still lights up at things that I had to have explained to me. (Best bit: Nick Frost's so-low-key-you-could-miss-it, "We're coming to get you, Barbara.")
Old 11-01-09, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
I tip my hat to the production of the DVD. There are two audio commentary tracks, plus a pop-up trivia track (the most interesting of the three, IMHO). There are deleted scenes, behind-the-scenes materials, etc. To be a single-disc release, they packed quite a lot of material into this. Not being a major zombie (or even horror) fan, most of the references throughout the film were lost on me, but my wife (who grew up loving the genre) still lights up at things that I had to have explained to me. (Best bit: Nick Frost's so-low-key-you-could-miss-it, "We're coming to get you, Barbara.")
I've only watched it thrice now, so couldn't bear to miss anything and watch the commentaries just yet. But now I'm ready to delve into the special features. I agree, a very nice looking DVD package.

Watching this closely after seeing Zombieland just further cements Zombieland as merely above average to me. For horror comedy, it's hard to beat Shaun of the Dead.