Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

End of the Line (2007) reviews/discussion - 2009 DVDTalk Horror Challenge Day 23

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

End of the Line (2007) reviews/discussion - 2009 DVDTalk Horror Challenge Day 23

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-09, 08:58 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

IMDB link for End of the Line (2007)

Selection made by j. farley.

These "2009 DVDTalk Horror Challenge Day #" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 Films in 31 Days subset.

General discussion on the 2009 DVDTalk Horror Challenge goes here, your list for the Challenge goes here.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day. You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day. Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags will not be needed, as it will be expected that anyone here has seen the film.

Do not read this thread if you have not seen the film, unless you don't mind the ending being spoiled for you.
Old 10-24-09, 05:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: End of the Line (2007) reviews/discussion - 2009 DVDTalk Horror Challenge Day 23

Maurice Devereaux's End of the Line is the kind of ambitious horror that reminds me of why I love horror films in the first place. It may not have the strongest acting in the world, but it's original and highly imaginative, even moreso when you realize the director had to finance the film out of his own pocket. It hasn't received too much attention, but I think it's a low budget treat that deserves to be seen. That combined with some story aspects that are ripe for discussion led me to decide on this one for my subset pick.

Taking place in a subway, the story involves several members of a large religous cult who simultaneously receive notice via pagers that it's Judgment Day. This gives them the go ahead to bring out their special daggers and "save" all the nonbelievers, if you get my drift. I bought the Canadian DVD blindly last November and thoroughly enjoyed the film. The director's prior effort, Slashers, was a most cheesy affair. This, on the other hand, is quite serious. The film can be rather unnerving, especially if you find freaky cult members to be, well, freaky. I'm a big fan of religion themed horror in general. Throw in apocalyptic scenarios and you have my attention entirely.

I didn't catch it the first time around, but note the emphasis on muffins throughout the film. It has been theorized that perhaps something in the muffins was causing hallucinations, thus setting everything into motion. This theory seems to receive further support if you watch the beginning of the film carefully. There's a telling scar on Karen's shoulder.

As far as the ending goes, I think it ends on a particularly strong note. The conversation about smiling in the face of proof comes to mind and feels like a punch in the gut. It may sound odd, but the end credits are one of my favorite things about this movie. The strength of the finale is carried over into the credits thanks to the eerie song which plays over them. Say what you will, but this piece of music strikes a chord with me. I'm glad the DVD included the full soundtrack as an extra, as I'll occasionally pop it in just to listen to this little ditty.

It's not a perfect film. As I mentioned before, there is some poor acting which stands out a bit more on repeat viewings, the bald maintenance worker being the worst offender. Some of the gore and attack sequences aren't as well staged as I'd like either. Regardless, I feel that the film rises above a few spotty performances and low budget pitfalls.
Old 10-25-09, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: End of the Line (2007) reviews/discussion - 2009 DVDTalk Horror Challenge Day 23

The opening scene in this film is incredible. I saw the premiere at TIFF back in 2006 and everyone jumped. I really dig the film overall. I screened it last year at a Halloween party (right after The Pit) and only a few people were really into it. Not true horror fans I guess.
Old 10-26-09, 04:42 PM

Freaking loved the beginning, and the whole film pretty much.

Hope to add more later, but just wanted to bump this a bit at least. Great film.
Old 10-26-09, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was in love after the first 10 minutes. Great fucking opening.
Old 10-28-09, 08:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to see people enjoying this one. The jump scare near the beginning got me too, something that rarely happens anymore with how telegraphed most of them are.
Old 11-01-09, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by J. Farley
Maurice Devereaux's End of the Line is the kind of ambitious horror that reminds me of why I love horror films in the first place. It may not have the strongest acting in the world, but it's original and highly imaginative, even moreso when you realize the director had to finance the film out of his own pocket. It hasn't received too much attention, but I think it's a low budget treat that deserves to be seen. That combined with some story aspects that are ripe for discussion led me to decide on this one for my subset pick.

Taking place in a subway, the story involves several members of a large religous cult who simultaneously receive notice via pagers that it's Judgment Day. This gives them the go ahead to bring out their special daggers and "save" all the nonbelievers, if you get my drift. I bought the Canadian DVD blindly last November and thoroughly enjoyed the film. The director's prior effort, Slashers, was a most cheesy affair. This, on the other hand, is quite serious. The film can be rather unnerving, especially if you find freaky cult members to be, well, freaky. I'm a big fan of religion themed horror in general. Throw in apocalyptic scenarios and you have my attention entirely.

I didn't catch it the first time around, but note the emphasis on muffins throughout the film. It has been theorized that perhaps something in the muffins was causing hallucinations, thus setting everything into motion. This theory seems to receive further support if you watch the beginning of the film carefully. There's a telling scar on Karen's shoulder.

As far as the ending goes, I think it ends on a particularly strong note. The conversation about smiling in the face of proof comes to mind and feels like a punch in the gut. It may sound odd, but the end credits are one of my favorite things about this movie. The strength of the finale is carried over into the credits thanks to the eerie song which plays over them. Say what you will, but this piece of music strikes a chord with me. I'm glad the DVD included the full soundtrack as an extra, as I'll occasionally pop it in just to listen to this little ditty.

It's not a perfect film. As I mentioned before, there is some poor acting which stands out a bit more on repeat viewings, the bald maintenance worker being the worst offender. Some of the gore and attack sequences aren't as well staged as I'd like either. Regardless, I feel that the film rises above a few spotty performances and low budget pitfalls.
Just wanted to nominate this for the post of the month. Very well written justification for the selection, and analysis of the film.

I wish I could write above a 7th grade level, and provide more points to provoke discussion, as this was a truly great selection.