Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Cemetary Man reviews/discussion - 2009 DVDTalk Horror Challenge Day 11

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-09, 05:45 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

IMDB link for Dellamorte Dellamore (1994)

Selection made by DarkGod.

These "2009 DVDTalk Horror Challenge Day #" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 Films in 31 Days subset.

General discussion on the 2009 DVDTalk Horror Challenge goes here, your list for the Challenge goes here.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day. You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day. Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags will not be needed, as it will be expected that anyone here has seen the film.

Do not read this thread if you have not seen the film, unless you don't mind the ending being spoiled for you.
Old 10-11-09, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Cemetary Man reviews/discussion - 2009 DVDTalk Horror Challenge Day 11

Love it, remember waiting for a region 1 dvd for ages to come out. I first saw it in the late 90s and didn't understand it completely but do now moreso (that it takes place in Franco's mind, surreal as hell) All of Michele Soavi's horror films are pretty damn good. This is of course is his most well known but I really like his earlier ones as well. Definitely a shame he stopped making them after this.
Old 10-11-09, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I love that every time I watch it (which to be honest, is quite often) I always notice something new.
Old 10-12-09, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

this is a gem of a movie that i stumbled upon a couple years ago thanks to the challenge and it is without a doubt one of the more original zombie movies in my collection. anna falchi's body is absolutely amazing.
Old 10-12-09, 09:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just watched this the other day after seeing it show up on a top 10 must see for Halloween list on Horrordvds.com. This is definitely a thinking man's zombie movie. Great use of music too, including an awesome riff from Ozzy Osbourne's "Hellraiser". I've been passing this thing on the shelves of stores and never bothered to pick it up. I'm happy I was able to find it since it is OOP now.
Old 10-12-09, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a great time watching this again. This film brings back good memories, as I've watched it many times over the years (starting with a first viewing with my father). The movie is filled with great visuals and dialogue. There are also some great elements in here that I'm truly in love with.

I love the bird eating out of the statue head; the angel wings placement; the leaves. All great stuff.

I noticed on IMDB someone posts a very involved take on this movie (BOARD) that claims that the whole thing takes place in Franco's head while he's in a coma. I think that's a little bit on the deep end, but it's an interesting interpretation. I just like it for what it is, and I really don't think it gets too much deeper than what you see on screen.
Old 10-12-09, 09:34 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

I watch this movie every October; it's so...odd. It's not like any other zombie movie I've seen. I love to read different interpretations and theories about it.

Last edited by sb5; 10-12-09 at 11:21 PM.
Old 10-13-09, 02:45 PM

Great film. Been hearing great things about it for years, and have owned it for quite awhile, but kept putting off watching it. Will definitely be watching this again.

Thanks for choosing it DarkGod!
Old 10-13-09, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Meant to chime in on Sunday when I watched this, but didn't have time. I also want to mention that I'm writing this before reading the other posts.

First off, this may have already been mentioned, but Cemetery is spelled wrong in the thread title...oh well.

I watched this for the first time last year, and did enjoy it. This second time around I think I enjoyed it equally, if not a bit more only because I didn't have to think as much as to what was going on.

Rupert Everett was really good as the main character, he just seemed to fit his role perfectly. All of the other casting seemed quite good. The Anna Falchi role was quite good, for...ahem...multiple reasons. I'm pretty sure her voice was dubbed, though, which was a small detraction.

I really enjoyed the idea of a movie with zombies in it (I don't want to call this a zombie flick) for which the zombies were a secondary nuance of the movie, and not the focus. You are never really scared or worried that any of our main characters were in jeopardy, in fact the zombies were *almost* comic relief.

My favorite line of the whole movie:
"No! Please don't! He's only eating me!"

I haven't researched the movie too much, so I would greatly appreciate any comments on the ending of the movie and what the heck was going on.
Old 10-13-09, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
I had a great time watching this again. This film brings back good memories, as I've watched it many times over the years (starting with a first viewing with my father). The movie is filled with great visuals and dialogue. There are also some great elements in here that I'm truly in love with.

I love the bird eating out of the statue head; the angel wings placement; the leaves. All great stuff.

I noticed on IMDB someone posts a very involved take on this movie (BOARD) that claims that the whole thing takes place in Franco's head while he's in a coma. I think that's a little bit on the deep end, but it's an interesting interpretation. I just like it for what it is, and I really don't think it gets too much deeper than what you see on screen.
on everything you said.

As far as thinking that it is all in his head while he is in a coma. That's just a cop-out. It is very rare that the "oh, it was all a dream" stories work, and if it wasn't explicit in the movie, I'm not going to consider that a possibility.
Old 10-13-09, 09:53 PM

Oops on the thread title. You can't change thread titles after the first minute without getting a mod to do it, and I doubt it's worth bothering them.

In my defense, maybe my subconscious thought that the film was about the Swedish metal band.
Old 10-15-09, 05:24 PM

The first time I saw this movie, I didn't like it. It sat on my shelf for a LONG time before I gave it another chance. Each time I see it, I enjoy it more and it's now one that I look forward to seeing again.
Old 10-22-09, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

I love how the comedy has two layers... there is the in your face comedy as well as some lesser think about it comedy. And the movie still can act alone as a horror movie.