Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Criterion Film Club Week Four: The Ruling Class

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-09, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 09-07-09, 09:33 PM
Banned

Re: Criterion Film Club Week Four: The Ruling Class

So yeah. This was my pick. Big Fan of this movie. Terrific fun.
Peter O Toole gives what i consider to be his most accomplished and enjoyable performance of his career.
Old 09-07-09, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

This movie kicked butt.Two thumbs way up.

Glad chris_sc77 picked it out for the Criterion of the week.
Old 09-08-09, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do not know what to make of this movie as it seems to be strange upon the first viewing. However it has several layers to it and I guess I’ll never be able to fully understand them all because I’m not British

it seems to be poking fun and making biting remarks about the British upper class/ aristocracy.

There’s a wonderful Butler character who starts drinking on the job and has some of the most funniest lines. He is also the one who makes a lot of dry comments and witty remarks, whether he is sober or otherwise.

Another character of a Bishop is also a hoot especially in the scene when he is presiding the marriage of ‘God’ and his bride. The first half of the movie where O'Toole is absolutely convinced that he is God (or JC as he calls himself) is cinematic gold.

Even when he snaps out of one madness and enters another, O’Toole still enchants the audience with his onscreen persona, physical bearing and those eyes of his.
Old 09-08-09, 12:19 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeySeven
This movie kicked butt.Two thumbs way up.

Glad chris_sc77 picked it out for the Criterion of the week.
Originally Posted by InnocentBlood
Even when he snaps out of one madness and enters another, O’Toole still enchants the audience with his onscreen persona, physical bearing and those eyes of his.

More later hopefully, plan to get to it again with the commentary tomorrow.
Old 09-11-09, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Funniest line ever, when O'Toole's character is asked how he knows he is God:

"I found that whenever I prayed to God, I was talking to myself."

There are a lot of hysterical one-liners like this sprinkled through the first half. I love O'Toole but I can't get past his (probably intentionally) bad hair and make-up in this film and he goes so over the top, it is surreal at times, like when he breaks into that Varsity Drag song and dance in the first hour. So weird it's hilarious.

Last edited by ResIpsa; 09-13-09 at 06:21 PM.
Old 09-14-09, 03:30 AM

Sorry guys this movie is a total bore, and bordering on a horrific waste of time. Just because Peter O'Toole has been a genius before (and still is) and the material is "biting" and "weighty" at times doesn't validate this extremely amateurishly executed and excruciatingly boring effort. This movie is so ponderous, so dull, so amateurish, you'd have to be born in Britain or desperately seeking artistic validity to extract anything out of this. The direction on this film is so laughably predictable, the musical numbers are horrendous, the camerawork is so out of focus and one take it almost seemed like a student film. Why all the constant random zooms and tracking shots, my god the DP should be hanged. The previous Criterion recommendation, "F for Fake" was so great, I was shocked this was picked. Wow. Bad, bad pick..Please pick movies that are competently executed without the ton of obvious plot points, overacting, and horrendously oft-putting musical numbers. Man this movie was really, truly, awful, and I love art cinema. Sorry guys, just being real. Good message in the movie, just so poorly executed. I think what's important when celebrating art house movies is to not play a card where if we all agree a movie has a art house view point we all automatically skip over its flaws. This movie has so many I could waste 3 hours (much like the movie itself) pointing it out. Please, for whoever picks in the future avoid these poor titles.
Old 09-14-09, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by armenianeric
Sorry guys this movie is a total bore, and bordering on a horrific waste of time. Just because Peter O'Toole has been a genius before (and still is) and the material is "biting" and "weighty" at times doesn't validate this extremely amateurishly executed and excruciatingly boring effort. This movie is so ponderous, so dull, so amateurish, you'd have to be born in Britain or desperately seeking artistic validity to extract anything out of this. The direction on this film is so laughably predictable, the musical numbers are horrendous, the camerawork is so out of focus and one take it almost seemed like a student film. Why all the constant random zooms and tracking shots, my god the DP should be hanged. The previous Criterion recommendation, "F for Fake" was so great, I was shocked this was picked. Wow. Bad, bad pick..Please pick movies that are competently executed without the ton of obvious plot points, overacting, and horrendously oft-putting musical numbers. Man this movie was really, truly, awful, and I love art cinema. Sorry guys, just being real. Good message in the movie, just so poorly executed. I think what's important when celebrating art house movies is to not play a card where if we all agree a movie has a art house view point we all automatically skip over its flaws. This movie has so many I could waste 3 hours (much like the movie itself) pointing it out. Please, for whoever picks in the future avoid these poor titles.
I'm assuming the above is a complete joke. But just in case, could you please forward me a list of acceptable choices so that I don't disappoint you in the future armenianeric?
Old 09-14-09, 12:35 PM

Sorry just being truthful...But if you really want to know, I did love F for Fake, and these Criterion titles are some of my favorites:

For All Mankind
The Last Emperor (a GOOD movie with Peter O'Toole in it hahahah)
Ran
Repulsion
Bottle Rocket
Monterey Pop
Playtime

I could go on...Of course this is all subjective, I just really hated this week's pick for various reasons, of course I was pretty passionate about stating that and I'm sure it offended you and others...Sorry just couldn't hold it in..Couldn't be a yes man on that one.
Old 09-14-09, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I thought this one was a completely enjoyable farce. I thought it was occasionally uneven and the "Ripper" part of the movie didn't have equal footing with the first 2/3 of the film... but despite (and perhaps because of?) those quibbles, I haven't stopped talking about it since I saw it last week.

The dialogue in the beginning was so dense and layered that I'm not sure you could pick it all up even after a second viewing. I was exhausted trying to keep up with Peter O'Toole as he bounded from one corner of the screen to the next. Juxtaposed with these scenes of chaos, the calmness of his crucifixions created some extraordinary coming timing/editing.

To each his own, but I'm a big fan.
Old 09-14-09, 12:51 PM

Sorry just being truthful...But if you really want to know, I did love F for Fake, and these Criterion titles are some of my favorites:

For All Mankind
The Last Emperor (a GOOD movie with Peter O'Toole in it hahahah)
Ran
Repulsion
Bottle Rocket
Monterey Pop
Playtime

I could go on...Of course this is all subjective, I just really hated this week's pick for various reasons, of course I was pretty passionate about stating that and I'm sure it offended you and others...Sorry just couldn't hold it in..Couldn't be a yes man on that one.
You don't have to be a yes man, and passion is fine. But you can give criticisn without coming off as either attempting sarcastic humor or being rude. Several of us have disliked some of the choices so far, and have expressed such.
Old 09-14-09, 02:39 PM

What can I say. I call it as I see it. If I was to dissect this movie from a technical level, it would fail on many levels for me (video/sound/camera work, composition, lighting, I could go on..). If I was to dissect it from a enjoyment level (completely subjective of course), it was laborious, and very, very dull to me. Also, the directing and plotting couldn't have been more obvious. The acting was also bordering on complete camp and was extremely one-note. I guess it's just my type of film, not really into overly-acted farcical plays that are filmed. But I really liked last weeks pick so I'll try to take a deep breath and not vent too much next time. Try not to be offended- I'm just passionate about movies I like and movies like this...
Old 09-14-09, 02:40 PM

Meant to say "not" my type of film obviously....
Old 09-14-09, 02:46 PM

What can I say. I call it as I see it. If I was to dissect this movie from a technical level, it would fail on many levels for me (video/sound/camera work, composition, lighting, I could go on..). If I was to dissect it from a enjoyment level (completely subjective of course), it was laborious, and very, very dull to me. Also, the directing and plotting couldn't have been more obvious. The acting was also bordering on complete camp and was extremely one-note. I guess it's just my type of film, not really into overly-acted farcical plays that are filmed. But I really liked last weeks pick so I'll try to take a deep breath and not vent too much next time. Try not to be offended- I'm just passionate about movies I like and movies like this...
See, that was good criticism. Good points, while it is all subjective of course and many would disgree with each point you made.

But to attack someone's choice multiple times was a bit much. Attack the film, not people who choose it or love it.
Meant to say "not" my type of film obviously....
You can edit your posts by the way.
Old 09-14-09, 02:51 PM

That's why I shouldn't have a beer and rant on a forum!! I apologize, I shouldn't rip people for recommending films they like, it's a bad habit, I'll keep it more civil, thanks for the edit tip...