Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Mystery Science Theater 3000: Volume XIV'

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 01-25-09, 02:24 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Jason Bailey's DVD review of Mystery Science Theater 3000: Volume XIV at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=36077 and I was curious as to what sort of packaging was used in this set.
Old 01-25-09, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: DVD Talk review of 'Mystery Science Theater 3000: Volume XIV'

The following paragraph has been added to the review:

"The Rhino sets collected their four titles (one per disc) in a cardboard, fold-out case. When Shout! took over distribution with the 20th Anniversary Edition, they shifted the packaging, and have retained that change for this set. Each episode is on its own disc, and each disc is packaged in a clear ThinPak with cute cover illustrations of the 'bots in a scene appropriate to the episode. Those four cases are housed in a simple cardboard slipcase."

Apologies for the oversight.

-jason bailey
Old 01-26-09, 11:10 PM

I can't wait to get this set, though I must ask, are there "chapter selections" in this new DVD set? 'Cuz even though you can still skip certain sections in the episodes, this kind of feature wasn't included in the "20th Anniversary Edition".
Old 01-27-09, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,236 Posts

From what I read on mst3kinfo.com, it's the same deal as last time: there are chapter stops, but there isn't a chapter selection menu.
Old 01-27-09, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Any subtitles or closed-captions on this set? I got my hopes when the re-release of The Movie had subtitles, but I'm guessing not.

tks
Old 01-29-09, 09:08 AM

Mad Monster is one of the few MST3K's I still have that I recorded on VHS. I just watched it a couple of weeks ago, and felt that it was one of the best Tom Servo episodes I'd ever seen.

I'm not posting this to say the reviewer is "wrong", but to illustrate how MST3K is received so differently by people based on their experiences and styles of humor. I just wish they weren't so expensive, so I could justify the purchase of the DVDs.

Watching the episode of Santa Claus Conquers the Martians with my 7th grade son during Christmas break has brought about an MST3K renaissance in my home.
Old 01-29-09, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Originally Posted by eogen
Mad Monster is one of the few MST3K's I still have that I recorded on VHS.
It was the very first MST3K episode I ever watched, and I was hooked pretty much from word one. I haven't seen it since, so I have no idea how well it'll hold up for me almost twenty years later (!), but I'm really looking forward to giving it a whirl on DVD.
Old 01-31-09, 10:51 AM

[QUOTE=eogen;9230740]Mad Monster is one of the few MST3K's I still have that I recorded on VHS. I just watched it a couple of weeks ago, and felt that it was one of the best Tom Servo episodes I'd ever seen.

I'm not posting this to say the reviewer is "wrong", but to illustrate how MST3K is received so differently by people based on their experiences and styles of humor. I just wish they weren't so expensive, so I could justify the purchase of the DVDs.

I look at it this way, individual episodes on VHS used to retail for $20 each! I don't feel that bad about shelling out $40-$60 for four episodes. Also consider the replay value.
Old 02-03-09, 07:03 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by filmsoncon
Each episode is on its own disc, and each disc is packaged in a clear ThinPak with cute cover illustrations of the 'bots in a scene appropriate to the episode. Those four cases are housed in a simple cardboard slipcase.
Excellent. I was hoping that they would continue to use the same sort of packaging as used in the 20th anniversary set (at least the disc part, not the oversized tin).