Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Is Ghost Rider a good blind buy?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-07, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Just wondering if anyone who has seen this thinks it's a worthy blind buy or strictly a rental? The 3-disc extended edition at Circuit City sounds tempting and I've enjoyed most of the recent Marvel movies with the exception of Hulk. Or is this movie a turkey like Hulk and worth neither a rental or buy?
Old 06-08-07, 11:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
steer clear of this. Ghost Rider is downright terrible. In my opinion it's not quite as bad as Hulk but thats just because Hulk put me to sleep on several occasions because it was so boring. It's a shame whats becoming of Nicholas Cages career between this and the Wicker Man remake.

The only good reason to watch this movie is for the Eva Mendes eye candy.
Old 06-10-07, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I liked Hulk alittle, not as bad as people say. This one is a rental. Its pretty bad but some of the visuals are great and Eva looks amazing, There really arent any good action scenes because the bad guys die with one hit pretty much.

Its a rental at most. Even then you might not like it.
Old 06-10-07, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
RENT IT FIRST. It was on a level of "bad" somewhere between Hulk and Elektra.
Old 06-10-07, 04:48 PM

This is probably my least favorite Marvel film (even though I haven't seen elektra). Sam Elliot is awesome, but not even he can save this movie. It pretty much has the same plot as Constantine (which I enjoyed), minus the Spear of Destiny. The character himselft (Ghost Rider) is very bland, the fight scenes are short and really bad visually, there just wasn't an aspect of the movie I could like.
-----

If you don't want to read my post, just read this

Rent it first, please, just rent it first.
Old 06-10-07, 06:44 PM

Unless the new cut throws out the bulk of the movie and replaces Eva Mendez with someone who can act, I would heartily recommend you stay far, far away from Ghost Rider.

And, for the record, I liked Hulk more upon repeated viewings. Thought the Daredevil director's cut helped the movie.
Old 06-11-07, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,077 Likes on 652 Posts
no.
Old 06-11-07, 08:33 AM

I have collected most of the new marvel comics movies. I would say that its better then daredevil. its more fun then fantastic four. its much better then elektra. I never read the comics for ghost rider.
Hulk is one of my favorites.
my two least are blade series and elektra.
Jacob
Old 06-11-07, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No. It has Nic Cage in it so it's at least 10x worse than it otherwise would have been.
Old 06-11-07, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
No, it's just awful in every way.
Old 06-11-07, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
So the general consensus is no....Thanks everyone. My local Mom and Pop store rents DVD's for 1.50 a piece....Maybe I'll rent it next weekend and see how bad it truly is.
Old 06-11-07, 07:39 PM

I got the new cut of ghost rider. its much better.. there is a better connection with young johnny and his father.. it doesn't seem so force like it was in the theatre version.. there are also odd and ends throughout the movie that helps the characters.. blackheart is more dangerous now.. its works better now.

Jacob
Old 06-11-07, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would rent first(hit up a redbox for 1$), or wait a few months before the blind buy. You know it will be a lot cheaper then.
Old 06-11-07, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,077 Likes on 652 Posts
Originally Posted by JACOB
I have collected most of the new marvel comics movies. I would say that its better then daredevil. its more fun then fantastic four. its much better then elektra. I never read the comics for ghost rider.
Hulk is one of my favorites.
my two least are blade series and elektra.
Jacob
Wow. We are exact opposites.

Loved the Blade series (yes...even part 3). Loved the director's cut of Daredevil. Enjoyed Fantastic Four. Thought Elektra was so-so. Thought Ghost Rider was bad and thought Hulk was a steaming pile of green poo.

You are Bizarro-brianluvdvd.
Old 06-11-07, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Rent online first, then buy used (3 for $20) if you really like it.
Old 06-12-07, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lunatikk
No. It has Nic Cage in it so it's at least 10x worse than it otherwise would have been.

My thoughts exactly... one of the worst actors working today. I honestly can't enjoy any movie he's in.

When I found out he was going to play Ghost Rider, I nearly cried, because it's my favorite comic book. As expected, the movie was awful.
Old 06-12-07, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I like a lot of Nic Cage movies

I'm struggling to decide if i want to blind buy this. I enjoy a lot of the Marvel Comics movies that others don't (Hulk, Punisher, Daredevil) so I think i might like this.
Old 06-12-07, 02:58 PM
Retired

Its 29% on Rotten Tomatoes, so definitely a rental if you bother with it at all.
Old 06-12-07, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
So the general consensus is no....Thanks everyone. My local Mom and Pop store rents DVD's for 1.50 a piece....Maybe I'll rent it next weekend and see how bad it truly is.
Why rent it at all, if you've already decided it's bad?

Going in with a negative mindset is never a good idea. Rent it and view it with an open mind. You may like it. Doesn't matter what anyone else says or thinks. It's what you think that counts. Maybe you'll like it enough to buy it.
Old 06-12-07, 05:15 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by Altimus Prime
Why rent it at all, if you've already decided it's bad?

Going in with a negative mindset is never a good idea. Rent it and view it with an open mind. You may like it. Doesn't matter what anyone else says or thinks. It's what you think that counts. Maybe you'll like it enough to buy it.
That can cut both ways. Sometimes going in with low expectations allows you to be surprised that it wasn't as bad as you were expecting and thus you end up liking it.

Where as going in with high expectations leads to disappointment and the tendency to be harsher on the movie when it lets you down.

Now I know you said go in with an open mind, which is fine and dandy, but nearly impossible as everyone has some preconceived notion of most movies they watch unless they just happen to watch something they've never heard of.
Old 06-13-07, 12:01 AM
Banned

Just watched the Extended Cut i rented from Netflix today...
It truly is terrible in almost every way. I thought it was actually embarrassing and it does feature some of the worst acting and dialogue I have seen in a while.

I dont know why so many people hate Hulk by the way. I think that is about as a good hulk film you can get. The cartoon dogs and the ending sucked but the rest of the film was very well done IMO.

Ghost Rider is seriously one of the worst comic book adaptaions I have seen though and I actually enjoy Daredevil.
I would say that it is as bad as Fantastic Four so if you liked that movie you might like Ghost Rider.
Old 06-13-07, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Rented Ghost Rider last night.

No wonder it sucked big time...the director Mark Steven Johnson who directed the crap Elektra and the ultra-crappy Daredevil, also wrote this piece of turd.

I had low expectations watching this and still I felt it was one of the dumbest films I've ever seen & the acting was absolutely laughable.
Old 06-14-07, 01:16 AM

Mark steven johnson did not direct elektra.. only daredevil and ghost rider.

Jacob
Old 06-14-07, 08:48 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wait for it. Will be cheap. Soon.
Old 06-15-07, 08:18 AM
Banned

HORRIBLE, and this is coming from a comic book fan who buys all the comic book movies that come out...I laugh out loud when I see all the people here who bought multiple copies. Multiple copies of a horrible movie does not make the movie good....

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.