Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Bugsy" Extended Cut...how is it?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-06, 10:12 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 918 Likes on 775 Posts

I remember seeing this when it first came out (theatrical) and I think I liked it, but don't remember much.

I love gangster movies and know the history of Bugsy Siegel, but does this one rank up their with the likes of "Goodfellas", etc...?

I'm interested in the movie first and then if the added scenes do anything to enhance.

Thanks and Happy New Year!!!
Old 12-30-06, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I just watched it and it plays very well. It's been way too long for me to remember enough about the theatrical cut to tell you where the footage has been added but there's certainly nothing wrong with it. It maybe seems a little more "epic" than I remember but still not as epic as Godfathers or some Scorsese films.

I don't think I realized before just how great are the acting performances of Beatty, Bening et al. But whether my increased appreciation of the performances is based more on the fact that I have seen the film before and was able to catch more nuance or the added footage I don't know.
Old 12-30-06, 11:59 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 918 Likes on 775 Posts
Originally Posted by movielib
I just watched it and it plays very well. It's been way too long for me to remember enough about the theatrical cut to tell you where the footage has been added but there's certainly nothing wrong with it. It maybe seems a little more "epic" than I remember but still not as epic as Godfathers or some Scorsese films.

I don't think I realized before just how great are the acting performances of Beatty, Bening et al. But whether my increased appreciation of the performances is based more on the fact that I have seen the film before and was able to catch more nuance or the added footage I don't know.
Sounds good. Is there any action and/or violence or is it more dramatic?
Old 12-30-06, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, the extended cut is indeed the one to own!! It adds succesfully to what was once released by Columbia. Finally, I think that Annette Bening is the one current Hollywood star which I can not get enough of. The older she gets the better she looks!

Too bad that just like Judi Dench she will always be in the shadow of someone else!

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 12-30-06, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As long as she stays away from SNL, all will be fine.

I love Annette Bening's acting, and she's very attractive as well. She also reminds me of an older Maggie Gyllenhaal.
Old 12-30-06, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts
If memory serves (I've only seen it once, and theatrically), BUGSY is pretty much a romance at its core, and not a guns & bullets/violence drama the way the Godfather movies and GoodFellas are. I think about as violent as BUGSY gets is a few emotional outbursts from the lead character...but nothing on the level of a Michael Corleone or a Jimmy Conway.
Old 12-30-06, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Got this one for Christmas so I'm anxious to see it. I always liked this movie although they left out a few historical facts. Bugsy took over the construction of another hotel already being built but went bust. He didn't start the Flamingo from sctratch.
Old 02-17-07, 08:37 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone else think the transfer was crap on this?