Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Gwendoline: Unrated Director's Cut'

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 06-13-06, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Ian Jane's DVD review of Gwendoline: Unrated Director's Cut at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=22197 and...

So this NTSC DVD is basically the same as the recent PAL release with the cooler-looking cover? I just ordered the PAL version yesterday, I had no idea they were going to release this on remastered NTSC dvd. Does anyone know which version is the better quality version or more or less the same quality?
Old 06-13-06, 08:05 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I still like the alternate longer title: The Perils Of Gwendoline In The Land Of The Yik Yak - gonna blind buy this.
Old 06-13-06, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was gonna buy this because of the chick from Bachelor Party, but I'm not so sure now, since all the reviews I have read say it has little to nothing to do with the risque comics it's based on.
Old 06-13-06, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ShagMan
I was gonna buy this because of the chick from Bachelor Party America's Funniest People, but I'm not so sure now, since all the reviews I have read say it has little to nothing to do with the risque comics it's based on.
Fixed.
Old 06-14-06, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
I still like the alternate longer title: The Perils Of Gwendoline In The Land Of The Yik Yak - gonna blind buy this.
It was a great cornball title for a cornball movie. This is one case where I'm thinking about getting the Theatrical Edition over the Director's Cut. It ever preserves the original cornball artwork from the American release.

Old 06-15-06, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
I actually saw this in a movie theater when it was first released. As you can tell from the font on the poster above, they were trying to cash in on the "Raiders of the Lost Ark" craze. I remember at the time it seemed like there were substantial chunks of the movie missing almost as if the reels were edited and/or in the wrong order which was entirely possible. The group of friends I went with were all in the 13-17 age range and mostly interested in the nudity aspect of it. We were pretty disappointed in that regard, too, but at that age, you'll take whatever you can get. I'm definitely gonna see this again, but I'll most likely rent it.
Old 06-15-06, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
It was a great cornball title for a cornball movie. This is one case where I'm thinking about getting the Theatrical Edition over the Director's Cut. It ever preserves the original cornball artwork from the American release.

Dang, what's up with that title font?
It looks like the bastard child of Indiana Jones and Star Wars!
Old 06-15-06, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Quatermass
As you can tell from the font on the poster above, they were trying to cash in on the "Raiders of the Lost Ark" craze.
They were trying to cash in on anything they could with this thing. The back of the VHS box claims that it has:

MORE THRILLS THAN "RAIDERS"...
MORE ROMANCE THAN "ROMANCING THE STONE"...
MORE ACTION THAN "THE TEMPLE OF DOOM!"

While talking about Just Jaeckin being able to "blend romance and eroticism in such films as Emmanuelle, The Story of O, and Lady Chatterly's Lover", while also not failing to mention that Tawny Kitaen starred in Bachelor Party. How could you miss with all that?
Old 06-20-06, 04:05 PM

Gotta have this in DD 5.1, and also gotta have the US-release title. "The Perils of Gwendoline in the Land of the Yik-Yak" is one of my favorite movie titles ever.

...so once I can get ahold of the details from the back of the Directors Cut DVD, I plan on creating a custom DVD cover that is mostly the "Perils of Gwendoline" version.

If I manage to create something usable and anyone else is interested, I can make it available.
Old 06-25-06, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Welp, the price killed this purchase for me; $22.50 preorder price from amazon is just TOO high for this movie. sucks!
Old 06-25-06, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

When I was 14 my dad rented this for me and my younger sister to watch. He was thinking it'd be another Raiders/Romancing the Stone. Boy was he embarrassed, and I was in for an eye opening experience. In retrospect, I can't believe we all sat through the whole thing that night.

I've been dying to see this again on DVD for a long time now. I've got the unrated version preordered at DVDEmpire for $19.09- and I've been very tempted to get the rated version for $12.50 just for the cover and title (if I hadn't just spent so much at DDD I probably would've ordered them both).
Old 06-28-06, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Tscott
When I was 14 my dad rented this for me and my younger sister to watch. He was thinking it'd be another Raiders/Romancing the Stone. Boy was he embarrassed, and I was in for an eye opening experience. In retrospect, I can't believe we all sat through the whole thing that night.

I've been dying to see this again on DVD for a long time now. I've got the unrated version preordered at DVDEmpire for $19.09- and I've been very tempted to get the rated version for $12.50 just for the cover and title (if I hadn't just spent so much at DDD I probably would've ordered them both).
Can't say I've heard of this, but the reviews and comments certainly have me curious. Is Tawny nude in this one or is it just extras and such?
Old 06-28-06, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts
Anyone know what the difference is between both cuts? I have seen the VHS tape version of the Yik Yak one. What is different in the uncut one?
Old 07-05-06, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by d2cheer
Anyone know what the difference is between both cuts? I have seen the VHS tape version of the Yik Yak one. What is different in the uncut one?
bump
Old 07-05-06, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by ShagMan
I was gonna buy this because of the chick from Bachelor Party, but I'm not so sure now, since all the reviews I have read say it has little to nothing to do with the risque comics it's based on.
If you are going to buy it because of Tawny Kitaen then don't click on this link from thesmokinggun. It seems she got into a bit of trouble with the law a few years ago and the mug shot is not too pretty

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/kitaen1.html
Old 07-05-06, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by sage
If you are going to buy it because of Tawny Kitaen then don't click on this link from thesmokinggun. It seems she got into a bit of trouble with the law a few years ago and the mug shot is not too pretty

Yikes. That's almost, but still not quite as bad as Yasmeen Bleeth.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/mugshots/bleethmug1.html
Old 07-05-06, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by sage

She been on that show The Surreal Life this season, and yeah...that's pretty much what she looks like now. She hasn't aged well.
Old 07-17-06, 01:53 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
for a 'unrated' film, there's hardly any graphic sex that would make this NC-17 in nature, but a whole bunch of titties, from what I have read, the cuts to the film for the US release only quickened the pacing of the film.

As to the film in unrated form, this was just out there, silly... and fun.