Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Blind Buys today on Night Watch & Hills Have Eyes?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-06, 09:55 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is Night Watch and The Hills Have Eyes worth a blind buy? I am thinking about both of them since Best Buy has a good deal on them..Are they good?
Old 06-20-06, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Haven't seen Night Watch, but I saw Hills twice in the theater. Loved it. Very gruesome. IMO, this is better than Aja's last movie, High Tension.
Old 06-20-06, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
I second Hills. Very, very enjoyable.

I've only seen the trailer for Night Watch, and it looks bizarre enough to fall under blind buy for me.
Old 06-20-06, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts
IMHO you will be bored to death with Night Watch; all the fuss about a very poor vampire movie with crappy SFX to boot. This is only part one in a 3 part trilogy, and it basically makes no sense at all.
Old 06-20-06, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
HHE was awesome! A yes for that.
Old 06-20-06, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hills is excellent and very nasty and disturbing. So you have been warned!

If offended by the film,stick it out until the very end at least,unlike a certain someone who turned it off durring the most controversial sequence and called it 'offensive crap'.

My older brother and younger(15) cousin watched the film late last night and were both freaked out by it. And they barely get freaked out by horror films now,so it's nice to see a horror film doing it's job!
Old 06-20-06, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

With HHE you also get Emilie de Ravin (Claire from Lost) goodness.
Old 06-20-06, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by d2cheer
IMHO you will be bored to death with Night Watch; all the fuss about a very poor vampire movie with crappy SFX to boot. This is only part one in a 3 part trilogy, and it basically makes no sense at all.
Tru watching it with your brain engaged. It's not your standard Joe-Sixpack popcorn film.

I'm fine if you didn't like the film, but it made more sense than Hills.
Old 06-20-06, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got Night Watch but I have no interest in Hils.

Also, apparently Night Watch is not part of a trilogy anymore as they wrapped up the story in Day Watch (which apparently isn't even based on the novel Day Watch)
Old 06-20-06, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just finished the Hills Have Eyes dvd and boy does that have a nice transfer. The daytime scenes are very bright and sharp looking. This is one of the better dvd transfers I've seen this year. A nice crystal clear picture.
Old 06-20-06, 10:09 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

My friend and I rented Night Watch from the video store he works at last night and watched it. I wanted to see it, in order to see what all of the hype was about. I ended up enjoying it, but he thought it was merely okay. It's weird and it's definitely a movie you need to think about while you're watching it. The directing is quite good and I thought some of the special effects were quite cool. I don't know what type of movies you like, so I can't really tell you whether or not to blind-buy it, but it's definitely worth a watch.

The Hills Have Eyes Remake is definitely worth getting. It's better than the original and it's a really gruesome/well-directed horror movie. I'm a pretty big Alexander Aja fan and I liked it a lot. I saw it opening night and also watched it today. I must say that it did have more of an impact in theatres, though.

I ended up buying both of them today. If you buy them together at Future Shop or Best Buy, they give you a discount ($10 off in the States at Best Buy, and $5 off in Canada at Future Shop.)
Old 06-21-06, 12:48 AM
Banned

"Night Watch" for damn sure. It's like a less flashy and more detailed version of "Underworld". A lot more clever and inventive, to boot. Made plenty of sense to me.

"The Hills Have Eyes" follows too closely to the original for me to like, including the first 50 minutes of cheap ass jump & score scares. Then there's just "other elements" that turned me off.
Old 06-21-06, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I liked Hills Have Eyes a lot, but I need to watch it again. Night Watch was cool, but a Matrix-y/Underworld film, in Russian.
Old 06-26-06, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts
Originally Posted by Peep
Tru watching it with your brain engaged. It's not your standard Joe-Sixpack popcorn film.

I'm fine if you didn't like the film, but it made more sense than Hills.
My brain was engaged just fine and it still sucked. Learn to spell, and I am not your standard Joe Sixpack... I watch just about every decent foreign movie that I can. Hell I am even a memeber of Nicheflix, that said you liked fine, I thought it sucked, I guess that makes you smarter and more engaged than me, just because you think you "got it"? Your snide remark that you are somewhat superior to me because you liked it is a joke. HE asked for opinions on the film, I gave him one, what gives you the right to try and insult my thought process?

If you were fine with me not liking it you should have just left out the part of engaging my brain.

Last edited by d2cheer; 06-26-06 at 12:04 PM.