Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.
View Poll Results: Woth anything
Yes
29.82%
No
50.88%
Maybe
19.30%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Doom worth anything?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-06, 12:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doom worth anything?

How does it compare to Resident Evil?
Old 02-07-06, 12:42 AM
Banned

IMO, "Resident Evil" was infintely better. "Doom" is more or less a new age "Aliens". The only difference is that "Doom" is devoid of decent dialogue, charisma, excitement, direction, and virtually anything else that has any semblence of a major motion picture.

Caught the Unrated Director's Cut, featuring a bonus 13 minutes, and it was just a huge, huge waste of time, IMO. The DVD is pretty bland itself, to boot.

Last edited by Cinemaddiction; 02-07-06 at 12:52 AM.
Old 02-07-06, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,100 Likes on 796 Posts
I voted YES. I can always use another coaster.
Old 02-07-06, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You know, I like plenty of films that most people wouldn't even want to go near. A lot of people considered the original Resident Evil to be garbage even though I thought it was a really good popcorn flick that had some good sequences here and there.

I went into Doom sort of expecting the same thing... that is, not much. Even not having high expectations for the Doom film itself, it really was a disappointing movie. Doom really could have been in my personal opinion, a Sci-Fi Channel movie.

As said above, the movie lacks a lot of things that could make a movie good. The thing about older movies like Alien or Aliens, over the course of the film you connect with the characters and feel something when they start getting wiped out... hate 'em or love 'em. But you feel absolutely nothing for anybody in this movie because the movie doesn't take any time to try and make you connect with these characters on any level. I mean, they go into the background of the main character very briefly but his little side history story just seems to be more a distraction than anything since it's touched on so briefly.
Old 02-07-06, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

At least it remained true to the game it was based on. No story, just things getting shot.
Old 02-07-06, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As asabase said above, if you like the game, you probably would like the movie. And since I like the game.... Yes.
Old 02-07-06, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I like the game as well. And the movie doesn't follow the game. The game you're dealing with demons from some dimension of hell. The movie made it out to be some stupid biochemical testing gone wrong. Weak. That would have made the movie a hundred times more interesting, the places you could go with a story of demons from hell invading a space station on mars...
Old 02-07-06, 08:40 AM

I voted "no". I've never played the game. I saw it in the theater with my family because one of my daughters thought the game was cool. None of us were thrilled by it. I agree with mzupeman2 that it could have been a Sci-Fi channel movie.
Old 02-07-06, 08:42 AM

DOOM is really only worth a rent if you like low budget Sci-fi and/or your a fan of the game. I, like others can usually find some coolness is movies a lot of ppl hate but this one left me really wishing I hadn't wasted my money seeing it in the theatre. It was even good in a "campy, b movie sci-fi" way. I prefer AVP over this and that's saying something.

The original Resident Evil movie is HEAD's above this. This one rates somewhere around the RE sequel. It's a shame as this could have been much better.
Old 02-08-06, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So, what was added in the UNRATED version? Blockbuster.com usually has the unrated stuff, but this time, the normal is NOW, and the UR is Coming Soon (which mean it could be a week or month before they get it...happened with American Pie Band Camp)

So, should I just rent the normal version or hold out?
Old 02-08-06, 09:14 AM
Banned

It's the version that was "too violent" for theatres. I didn't see the TE, so I'd imagine just a bunch of added violence, and subsequently, more bad, macho dialogue.
Old 02-08-06, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks...I guess I should've read the review a bit closer. I may just wait for the UR to come to Blockbuster:

The unrated extended version of the film that Universal has released on DVD runs just over twelve minutes longer than the R-rated theatrical cut of the film which adds some gore that was trimmed and a few brief character development extensions. The first person shooter sequence has also been extended to roughly five and a half minutes. The gore makes the action and horror scenes more enjoyable, but the character development scenes don't make the movie any more intelligent or riveting in that regard – the film is still a big, dumb, gory shoot'em up.
Old 02-08-06, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts
I enjoyed it for the "B" popcorn flick that it was. I had low expectations and was entertained with a typical Rock film . . .

Resident Evil was much better, but Doom does beat out the Uwe Bol crap by a mile!
Old 02-08-06, 12:42 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
yet don't watch this in a room where you can't control inside or outside light - it's a really dark movie - aptly so. for an extra 12min of footage I couldn't tell what the new footage was - and I had seen the theatrical cut before. (maybe I'm just going senile). Too bad Universal didn't include DTS - the Dolby Digital soundtrack is great though.

Last edited by Giles; 02-08-06 at 12:53 PM.
Old 02-08-06, 12:53 PM

It's worth $14.99 at Circuit City.
Old 02-08-06, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's worth a $1 Redbox rental.........
Old 02-10-06, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
I got it for free and I still got gypped, lol.
Old 02-11-06, 12:39 AM

I'd only buy it if it was cheaper then a blank disc.
Old 02-11-06, 12:54 AM
AOD

Boy, I'll tell ya. I think both The Rock and Karl Urban are great, but this movie was terrible. I bought it as a blind buy because I wasn't able to see it at the theater the first time around and it is deffinately one of my top 5 worst ones. In fact, it is so bad, it should have gone straight to the 5.50 bin at Wal-Mart. The only semi-cool part of the movie I thought was the FP shooter sequence. Even still, that short 5-6 minute sequence was not enough to save it. So if the OP is asking opinions on if it is worth anything, my answer is a resounding NO. Man, I knew I shoulda got Wallace and Gromit instead!
Old 02-21-06, 09:31 AM

I wish I knew, I'm waiting for a Wolfenstein movie.
Old 02-24-06, 04:31 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by ShallowHal
I wish I knew, I'm waiting for a Wolfenstein movie.
Now that would be cool
Old 02-25-06, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by asabase
At least it remained true to the game it was based on. No story, just things getting shot.
That about sums it up.
Old 02-28-06, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by mzupeman2
Doom really could have been in my personal opinion, a Sci-Fi Channel movie.
Wow. I haven't seen it because I figured it was pretty bad, but I never figured it would be that bad!
Old 03-01-06, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by asabase
If only that were true. They went with "extra chromosome" over "portal to hell". They chose poorly. Also for a Doom movie, there was a pretty disturbing lack of things getting shot. Most of the time, it's just this group of marines wandering around a space station looking for non-demons, and occasionally, briefly, stumbling across one. The FPS scene was really the only part of this movie worth watching.