Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

king aurthur good blind buy?

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 12-29-04, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know what the review said, but I'm just curious as to other peoples opinions of this movie and DVD.
Old 12-29-04, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

To me, out of all of the sword and sandal epics this year, King Arthur, Troy, Alexander, I think King Arthur is the best. Its not Braveheart, sort of tries to be, but it isn't shit either. I think this was one film that got the most flack for whatever reason, when there was other deserving films to be ripped on.

I bought the Unrated version, and I haven't got to it yet. As a blind buy, i don't know, I graded it as a "B", but if you know what you getting into and like the subject matter and read the two fine dvd reveiws here, then you have more than enough info to make a quality decision.
Old 12-29-04, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had pretty low expectations for this one, but fortunately, I found it to be a pretty decent flick. It had a few good moments and it wasn't as awful as I thought it might had been. It doesn't offer anything new to the genre, and what they try to do, others have done it better in the past. I also felt it had very little to do with the King Arthur mytho. I'd definitely recommended it as a rental. Definitely not a title I'd pay full price for but may pick up used later on during a Blockbuster sale
Old 12-29-04, 04:21 PM

The film didn't do much for me. Infact, I don't perticularly remember any special scenes other than what they show in the DVD commercials... I would skip this one.
Old 12-29-04, 04:34 PM

I didn't get around to seeing this in the theaters because I decided to wait for the dvd since the studio screwed the director over by forcing a PG-13 on what they said could be an R picture. Then once it was released, I heard nothing but bad reviews and bad word-of-mouth from others. I rented the unrated director's cut because I was curious (I usually enjoy this type of film), and I found it to not be nearly as bad as everyone made it out to be. Its nothing great, but its not horrible either. I'd go along with nonametofame and say rent this one first, and then if you like it, see about picking it up either previewed or once it drops in price (because I'm sure it will drop quickly).
Old 12-29-04, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by jonpeters
To me, out of all of the sword and sandal epics this year, King Arthur, Troy, Alexander, I think King Arthur is the best. Its not Braveheart, sort of tries to be, but it isn't shit either. I think this was one film that got the most flack for whatever reason, when there was other deserving films to be ripped on.

I bought the Unrated version, and I haven't got to it yet. As a blind buy, i don't know, I graded it as a "B", but if you know what you getting into and like the subject matter and read the two fine dvd reveiws here, then you have more than enough info to make a quality decision.
totally agree
Old 12-29-04, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd say to rent this one first as it was nothing compared to Braveheart, etc.
Old 12-29-04, 08:40 PM

cool, thanks for all the opinions. I think I'll rent it first, and then if I like it, I'll make the purchase.
Old 12-29-04, 08:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jonpeters

I agree about the Braveheart part. I also bought it as a blind buy. The first hour is completely boring, I found it hard to sit through (I actually played my gba during the first hour). The best way I can discribe it is a boring version of Braveheart. The people saying it is nothing like Braveheart apparently havn't seen Braveheart in awhile... Then again, it's all up to you, and your tastes in movies. If you like a Bravehart type of a movie, buy it. If not, stay away from it.
Old 12-29-04, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no...its awful....spend 20 bucks on anything else
Old 12-30-04, 12:54 AM

I'm not into blind buys but looks like a decent rental anyway.
Old 12-31-04, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought it was pretty good entertainment in the theater, but could tell some stuff was cut, so I was looking forward to the DC. After seeing the DC, there is more violence/gore (some which seems very unnecessary, like the beheadings) and, I think, two new scenes with lancelot and guenivere <sp> that I felt did add to the story (the climax was a bit wierd before without them). However, there were snippets in the trailer that didn't make either cut, which was disappointing. Overall, I enjoyed the film as a rental, and i'll prob. pick it up when it drops in price.