Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Any reviews for "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2 Disc Collector's Edition)"?

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Any reviews for "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2 Disc Collector's Edition)"?

Old 12-30-04, 04:41 AM
NMA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nfm
Old 12-30-04, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts
I'm workin' on it. Stay tuned...
Old 12-30-04, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,285 Likes on 935 Posts
Well, chop chop Jason... get a move on!

j/k... looking forward to your review
Old 12-30-04, 05:59 PM

Okay, here ya go...

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=13878
Old 12-30-04, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't understand how you can give a rating of "Rent It" when you have 4 1/2 stars for the film itself, the same for video, 4 for audio, 3 1/2 for extras, and 4 for replay value.

I understand that there is already a release of this film on DVD, but for those who don't have the first release, then this DVD is an absolute must own. Not to mention that there is over and hour and ten minutes of brand new extras included here, one of which is the fantastic Anatomy of a Scene: Saratoga Avenue 17 minute segment.

I just don't get reviewing a DVD on the basis of another DVD release of the same film already being out. When you take this DVD set and set it aside, and review it on it's on, there is no way you can give it anything less than a rating of at least "Recommended", seeing how when you add what is on the first disc, to all that is on the new bonus disc...and on top of that, the film itself which is, in my opinion, pretty much perfection.

Just my two cents.

If the first release didn't exist, what would your rating be for this one?

I understand your reasoning here for giving it such a low overall rating, but I simply do not agree with either your reasoning...or the score, that's all. It just doesn't make sense to me.
Old 12-30-04, 07:51 PM

Thanks for writing Brett. Although I do think a lot of these features are noteworthy, and I found the image and sound to be above average, my "Rent It" recommendation stems from the fact that we've seen nearly all of it before and probably already have it on the shelf. I'm not a big fan of the star ratings anyway, but I feel the body of the review is pretty specific about my overall impression, and about why I recommend renting it (provided you already own the first version).

But you're right, people who just look at the star rating will probably be confused. Which is why I hope it spurs them to actually read the review.
Old 12-30-04, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

As an owner (and lover) of the first disc, I'd have probably felt the same way. Good call.
Old 12-30-04, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ah, you guys always stick together so that doesn't count.

Old 12-31-04, 04:26 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was thinking about selling the original and picking this up, but I think now I'll not buy this one, since it seems pretty shoddy to be releasing this a mere 3 1/2 months after the original disc was released. At least the Lord of the Rings discs were announced ahead of time and are different enough that I've bought both versions.

Even if the extras are somewhat compelling it's not worth the double-dip this time if the movie disc is the same.