Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Ghost in the Shell 2 - Innocence'

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 01-03-05, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Chris Tribbey's DVD review of Ghost in the Shell 2 - Innocence at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=13917 and...

I hate subtitles in "the black bars" - like a real theater, my display has no black bars, even for 2.35:1 movies so when the substitles are in the matte it really detracts from the experience.
Old 01-04-05, 01:48 PM

ok

read the first part of the review, cos i wanted to see what the review said about the subs issue.

i am surprised that dreamworks hasnt instantly done a recall and tried to at least have this mentioned in reviews, as the issue is a major blow for the companies anime releases... shame on them.
Old 01-04-05, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree with review, the subtitles are too LARGE & high up, and block a good portion of the screen when they are on-screen... and of course, because it's actually a CC track and not just subtitling, there's words blocking the action WAY too much... I will say, though, that the CC annoyance was much lesser later on in the movie, or so it seemed.
Old 01-04-05, 06:58 PM

Okay, while I am a major fan of sub titles, yes, the position of the subs *oh wait* closed captioned is such crap.

I mean, it's bad enough that they did even subtitle this right, the so screwed over so many other people that would've loved to see this film dubbed.

I just can't get my head around what the Hell they were thinking when they released the DVD like they did! They shut out a large part of the population by doing this and what really sucks, this is a most excellent movie !

So not only did they do a crappy job on the DVD it's self, they totally ruined the cover - what the Hell is the Gynoid doing in the back and Batou doesn't really even look like him.

Dreamworks sooooo sooo messed this one up. I seriously feel bad for Masamune Shirow, they ruined his *imho* best work of art yet!
Old 01-04-05, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by maritas
what the Hell is the Gynoid doing in the back and Batou doesn't really even look like him.
The sex-bot on the cover has a significant part in the movie's plot.
Old 01-04-05, 08:09 PM

I still think the bot on the cover isn't a good rep.... Just my opinion....

As for the subtitles, I hated the way they got in the way of the movie.....I wouldn't miss an English dub normally, but Innocence was just so damn cool-looking...a dub would have been nice, to get subtitles off the screen. Maybe some SE will make its way into the market with a more audience-friendly subtitle treatment.....hope against hope.

Fixed, Josh

Last edited by Chris Tribbey; 01-06-05 at 09:14 PM.
Old 01-06-05, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Spoiler tags, Chris.

At this point, I'm holding off until either:

a) Dreamworks admits their error and issues corrected copies, or:
b) The movie is released in some other English-speaking country (probably the UK) with real subtitles.
Old 01-07-05, 10:10 AM

from the email responce elsewhere here and at other sites, i would suggest theyre determined to ignore the issue. theres also no gaurantee they will release a better disc in the UK (eventually)... online petition time?
Old 01-07-05, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by logboy
from the email responce elsewhere here and at other sites, i would suggest theyre determined to ignore the issue. theres also no gaurantee they will release a better disc in the UK (eventually)...
Does Dreamworks hold the rights in the UK?
Old 01-08-05, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Does Dreamworks hold the rights in the UK?
no idea. cant think how to check for certain either...
Old 01-08-05, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Josh Z
The sex-bot on the cover has a significant part in the movie's plot.
But it was not at any time holding on to wires like ?

When I said what the hell is the gynoid doing. I meant as what was it doing? unhooking itself, doing sign language?

It's a crappy picture of one - if they were going to use any, why not the one from the alley way that Batou blows away with his shotgun? Not just some image that they pulled out of their ass.