Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'The Running Man: Special Edition'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-04, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Randy Miller III's DVD review of The Running Man: Special Edition at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=9787 and...WHY did this only get a "Recommended" rating?

The reviewer gave it top-notch in the audio and video department, and the extras received a pretty good rating.

So why was this shafted with just a "recommended rating?"

Seems pretty arbitrary to me, based on the criteria evaluations.

"I hope you leave enough room for my fist because I'm going to ram it into your stomach and break your god-damn spine!

Last edited by chanster; 03-08-04 at 06:29 PM.
Old 03-08-04, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you'll look closely in the review itself, I mention that most huge fans of the movie probably already have it on pre-order, and can rest easy knowing that this is a top-notch release. However, the 'Advice' rating is more of a subjective rating for casual fans or those who haven't seen it yet. As a general rule of thumb, it's hard for me to 'Highly Recommend' a movie unless it gets at least four stars. If it makes you feel any better, it was a tough decision, but I'm sticking by it.

In short, take the 'advice' with a grain of salt. After all, unless you're a complete pessimist, a 'Recommended' rating is pretty good in the grand scheme of things, right?

Anyway, thanks for the feedback.

Last edited by Randy Miller III; 03-08-04 at 05:49 PM.
Old 03-08-04, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

"If you're not ready to act, give me a break and shut up!"

Thanks for the analysis. I agree with you that most "hard core" fans have already pre-ordered.

Just seems to me that people buying this flick are probably Arnold fans to begin with (who isn't) so it seems kinda of a let down to see a great Arnie flick not even get a highly recommended or even a DVD Talk Collectors EditioN!!!! (Ok, maybe I am pushing it there)

I would rank this up there in the "second tier" of Arnie flicks but near the top. It has aged better than Commando (too be fair Commando was earlier in his career), and has nestled itself somewhere below Total Recall and above Red Heat.

But the low price point, combined with great audio and video options, seems like this would make it excellent DVD.
Old 03-16-04, 03:32 PM
Cool New Member

I can never stay away from Arnie quotes!

I can't wait for this movie! Great review.

Check the sig!

"First he was sub-zero, now PLAIN zero!"
Old 03-17-04, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was just watching it today & the picture is great & the DTS is even better! It was more active than most new movies & had a nice full sound. A huge improvement over the old version.
Old 03-18-04, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I haven't watched mine yet, but I had a heck of a time getting the dvd case out of the paper cover. I had to tear the darn thing...
Old 03-18-04, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I never have seen this movie and I am an Arnold fan. I was going to rent it, but considering I can get it shipped for about $10.60, I might as well just order it.
Old 03-18-04, 09:59 PM

Yes, a great "Arnie" film, and worth it for the new soundtrack alone. But be aware the extras are not what you may have expected for a 2-disc set. In fact there are no "behind the scenes" inclusions whatsoever. Instead we are subjected to some post 9/11 left wing liberal analysis of civil liberties and political viewpoints disguised as bonus feature "Lockdown on Mainstreet". Enjoy.
Old 03-18-04, 11:42 PM
Cool New Member

How are the two documentaries? The Game Theory sounds really interesting, how was it?

Thanks