Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

LOTR - Two Towers Mini Review

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-03, 09:09 PM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was fortunate enough to pick it up early at my local street date breaker as have many others over at HTF.

As one would expect, the A/V quality is right up there with the LOTR FOTR release. Although the video didn't seem as good as the FOTR dvd it was still excellent. The 5.1 Audio is phenominal. The LFE is just as hot if not hotter than FOTR. It may not be to everyone's taste but I'm a nut for a good sub thumping time, so I was loving it.

Tears swelled as I watched the Return of the King preview. It was great and has me incredibly psyched for December. The cast/crew interviews between the cut scenes pretty much confirmed that ROTK will be the best film of the trilogy.

BTW, unlike in LOTR FOTR, there was no advertisment stating that there will be a rebate for the TT Extended Edition if you purchase the theatrical release. Just a booklet selling a bunch of middle earth jewelry.

Edit to add:

My pertinent HT equipment:

A/V Receiver - Sony STR-DA5ES
Fronts - B&W DM603 S3
Center - B&W LCR 600
Rears - B&W DM601 S3
Subwoofer - SVS 20-39PC-Plus
Subwoofer - JBL PB12
Sony DVP-S9000ES
Sony KP-57WV700 HDTV
SA4200HD Digital Cable STB
Monster Power HTS5100

Last edited by dgc; 08-23-03 at 09:18 AM.
Old 08-20-03, 10:50 PM

I sure hope there's a ticket in the EE for The Return of the King. I kinda feel that there won't be though.
Old 08-21-03, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Reviews seem virtually unnecessary for this release but it's nice that they're good. I'm going to really enjoy watching this whenever I please.
Old 08-21-03, 11:44 AM

I loved this disc. And even though it wasn't the extended edition, it was still fantastic. Of course, there's no need to comment on the movie. You can check out my revie here The Lord of the Rings - The Two Towers (Widescreen) I can't wait to review the Extended Edition!
Old 08-23-03, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It'll be interesting to see how sales compare to the FOTR theatrical disks since the general public now knows to expect an EE.
Old 08-23-03, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Panda Phil
It'll be interesting to see how sales compare to the FOTR theatrical disks since the general public now knows to expect an EE.
They will be stronger regardless (that's my guess). The films have been increasing in popularity and most people won't wait until the fall. What I'd be more interested in is to see how the EE sells when it comes out.
Old 08-29-03, 03:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How much is Peter Jackson making from this money-making machine that is the LOTR Trillogy? Jeez...
Old 08-29-03, 09:43 AM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by bill_n_opus
How much is Peter Jackson making from this money-making machine that is the LOTR Trillogy? Jeez...
What ever it is, he deserves it!
Old 08-30-03, 01:24 PM

You should see his deal for the upcoming King Kong: $20 million + 20% of the profits. WOW!!!!!!
Old 08-31-03, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

BTW, early sales figures were in the range of 3.5 million estimated copies during the first day. Sounds like the audience is definitely growing for LOTR thanks to their long theatrical runs and strong home video presence...the third film should break more records for sure.
Old 09-01-03, 04:16 AM

We should actually thank New Line for it being a trilogy. In the FOTR EE, Jackson tells the story of how he was turned down (by Miramx?) to do it in 2 pictures. He was allowed to pitch it to New Line, the head of which saw it as 3 pictures! Hollywood got it right!! I think most of us are thankful for that!
Old 09-01-03, 09:55 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

He does not have a cut on the profits (to the best of my knowledge) but I can tell you that his $$$ for the next movie will be about 10-20+ times of what he made on his last movie before the rings (Dead Alive?), and I am happy that he will get the $$$ and respect he deserves.
Old 09-04-03, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

TTT has set sales + rental records:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp.../film_rings_dc

ROTK is going to be huge...