Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Somewhere in Time - Any reviews?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-03, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw this movie on sale and was wondering if the current version (Somewhere in Time - Special Edition) is worth purchasing? I love the movie but want to know if the current transfer is good. Is it anamorphic? Any chance a better version will be released in the near future? Thanks.
Old 03-27-03, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Unfortunately the transfer is not anamorphic. Also the the video quality isn't all that great if I remember right. I haven't heard anything about a rerelease, but with Universal it's very possible.

Sorry I can't be more descriptive about the video. It's been a couple years since I watched it, but I remember feeling extremely underwhelmed.
Old 03-30-03, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The current version of the film is basically the same as the 1998 release. The print is pretty clean, i.e. no dirt on the print, but there's a fair amount of grain visible, especially during darker scenes. It's non-Anamorphic and sound is in 2.0 mono. It's a shame really. I was hoping they'd at least clean it up for the CE. I kinda doubt Universal plans on rereleasing it anytime soon though, what with 2 editions circulating. So if you like the film at all, this version is your best bet.

The included documentary is very well done. I won't say it's worth the price of the disk, but it definately sweetens the deal.
Old 03-31-03, 11:54 AM

Thanks for the replies. I saw the movie priced at $9.94 and ended up purchasing it. Now that I bought it, I am sure a better version is just round the corner :-)

Another movie that appears to be in need of a better quality release is Field of Dreams. The current version is not anamorphic and some of the reviews criticized the video quality.

Hopefully, we will have a new version in the near future.