Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review of Rollerball wanted

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review of Rollerball wanted

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-01, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Review wanted: Rollerball

I saw this @ Wal-Mart today for $9.96 and was wondering if it was any good. Says remastered in 5.1. Any comments?
Old 06-10-01, 06:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's a somewhat cheesy 70s sci-fi flick, but I enjoyed it. It's not for everyone so you might want to rent it somewhere first though. Also w/ the remake coming out this summer and the price drop now there is the potential of a rerelease of this one at some point. However, I haven't heard anything yet and the current one is pretty good in and of itself, a commentary is the main special feature.
Old 06-11-01, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This film is a favorite of mine and I just watched the DVD for the first time a couple of weeks ago.

Unfortunately, quality-wise it is lacking. The 5.1 remix is adequate for a movie a quarter-century old, but hardly the thrilling experience I craved. Worse, the picture quality is quite poor. The source material really shows its age with print damage throughout.

I have yet to listen to the director commentary, but I am looking very much forward to that extra.

Final judgement: If you've never seen the movie, rent it first. 'cause if the movie doesn't wow you nothing about the DVD is going to make up for it.

On the other hand, if your a fan of the film $10 seems like a fair price.
Old 06-12-01, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey CrumpsBrother! Let us know how that commentary is. I like the movie, but I will stick with my tape (gasp!) unless the commentary is good. I would love to hear the behind the scenes of this movie.
Old 06-14-01, 12:32 AM

After reading some reviews about the bad Audio Video quality of Rollerball I decided not to buy it, However as I stood and looked at the DVD for under $10.00 in a BM store I said to myself, this was one of my favorate flicks and how bad could the quality really be.
I took the DVD home and viewed it on a large screen TV. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that the quality was not all that bad, in fact for the most part it was very good,sharp crisp picture good color and the sound was fair.
If you liked Rollerball, you can't go wrong buying it for under $10.00.