DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review wanted - Rock Star

Old 01-21-02, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Review wanted - Rock Star

Is it any good and is it worth a 15.00 buy?

Last edited by gusamo; 01-23-02 at 07:07 AM.
Old 01-21-02, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$11.99 at Circuit City tomorrow......
Old 01-22-02, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 163 Posts
As far as "rise and fall of rock band" movies from last year I liked this movie a lot better than Almost Famous -- probably becuase this was my generation and I was able to totally relate and see myself in it more.
Old 01-22-02, 02:12 PM
Max

I just watched it last night and personally I thought it was really lame! So formulaic and not very realistic. That was when I was growing up too but I totally enjoyed Almost Famous a hundred times over...

I would rent Rockstar first......
Old 01-23-02, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I bought Rock Star today because of the ridiculously low price at Circuit City and just watched it for the first time. It's pretty good. Not as good as Almost Famous, but they're completely different films. I thought the ending was a bit lame, but the movie as a whole was pretty entertaining (especially for someone like me who loved cheese metal in the 80's). It's definitely a comedy and slows down when it tries to be serious. Wahlberg was good but played the exact same character that he played in Boogie Nights. Aniston was good for what she had to work with. The road manager (don't know the actor's name) stole the entire flick, I thought. Pretty good film and worth picking up if you can find it cheap.
Old 01-23-02, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I picked up this movie from Best Buy, and watched it last night. I had seen it in the theater when it was first released and I enjoyed the shate out of it If you liked 80's metal at all, this movie is worth the money in my opinion. I don't compare it to other films(ahem, Almost Famous)just because I don't feel they should be compared at all. I like the humor in the movie alot. It gives a nice look back at "the way we were" and the whole Rock Star fantasy. Warner Bros did a good job on the transfer, as well as the sound. I haven't had the chance to watch it with the commentary yet, but I will. Mark Wahlberg's performance was right on the money! Thumbs up

JesseCrx
Old 01-23-02, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by jessecrx
I picked up this movie from Best Buy, and watched it last night. I had seen it in the theater when it was first released and I enjoyed the shate out of it If you liked 80's metal at all, this movie is worth the money in my opinion. I don't compare it to other films(ahem, Almost Famous)just because I don't feel they should be compared at all. I like the humor in the movie alot. It gives a nice look back at "the way we were" and the whole Rock Star fantasy. Warner Bros did a good job on the transfer, as well as the sound. I haven't had the chance to watch it with the commentary yet, but I will. Mark Wahlberg's performance was right on the money! Thumbs up

JesseCrx

I agree. While not a film with very developed characters, it captures the 80's rock scene perfectly......
Old 01-24-02, 06:13 PM
Cool New Member

I was kind of curious about this film myself. I'm glad someone asked for some opinions on it. I may have to go ahead and check it out since it revolves around the 80s scene.
Old 01-26-02, 03:04 AM

The dvd is missing scenes that were in the movie while it was in theaters. I dont know what the friggen deal with that is. Check the post in dvd talk to see. I dont want to give anything away to people who havent seen it.