Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Toshiba TW40H80 (Geoff?)

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Toshiba TW40H80 (Geoff?)

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-01, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Based on the countless hours of searching, I think I have decided on this as my new television. I would love to hear your thoughts on this set if you have one or test drove one. I live in an apartment and have limited space. I really want the 16:9 experience. I had been waiting and waiting for Sony to have a realistic price on their midsized 16:9 sets and have only been disappointed.

Any and all comments appreciated.

p.s. Geoff, don't you think it is time for you to upgrade and sell me your Toshiba cheap?
Old 04-11-01, 11:19 AM

IMO, this is a great choice. In this price range, this is about the most TV you can get for your money.
Old 04-11-01, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have the tw40x81 and love it. Pretty much NO complaints.
And at today's prices getting below 2k for it it's a good deal. Add it with a progressive scan dvd player and the movies look great. And I think the Toshiba does a great job with stretching tv in the tw modes.
I sit anywhere from 6' to 12' from the tv depending on my mood and the way I have my living room set up. And it actually looks beautiful for all those distances.

If I bought a tv today I would get a 56" though. Just because I have the space for it, and you can pretty much get it at the same price I paid for the 40" a year ago.
But not big deal and it's nothing AGAINST the 40" for sure.
Before that I had a 27" just for your information.

So you should look into this tv, it is a nice choice and I know a few people that are thrilled with it.
You may also want to look into the new Panasonic 46"?! That is supposed to hit stores in June, at a $1,999 price?!
Old 04-11-01, 07:36 PM

I brought a TW40X81 about a year ago and I love it. I was talking to the ISF tech when he was calibrating my set and he said Toshiba and the Pioneer Elite are the two best HD ready RPTV on the market right now. I read the spec on the TW40H80 and it is great. I am sure you will like it.

If you do buy it (or any other HD RPTV). I would recommend you to get an ISF tech to calibrate it for you (after about a 100 hours of use). It is a bit expensive ($350) but it is money well spent. You wouldn't believe the before and after difference.

Good Hunting !
Old 04-12-01, 06:42 AM
Cool New Member

I've had the Toshiba 40H80 for about three months and I love it. With a progressive scan DVD player you will get an incredible picture.
Old 04-12-01, 03:58 PM

Where does the center channel go?

I have a Cerwin Vega (large) center channel. How do you mount it?
Old 04-13-01, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could't you just put the center channel on top? Those TVs look to have a decent sized top.
Old 04-13-01, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Thunderball
Could't you just put the center channel on top? Those TVs look to have a decent sized top.
Actually not really! The top is about 4" thick. This has been one complaint from many, but most have found a "creative" way around it and have built a shelf or something to that effect.

It's not a problem from me because I have a small center speaker.