Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Marantz sr-8000 vs. Denon 3801, help me decide

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Marantz sr-8000 vs. Denon 3801, help me decide

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-01, 12:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I currently have definitive technology pro cinema 80s front and back, pro cinema 100 center, pro cinema 100tl sub for speakers and a pioneer d509s receiver.

I am looking to upgrade my receiver for $1000 or less and have narrowed my search to the 2 models listed above.

From what I have read these are the pros and cons of each...

Denon 3801
pro:
6.1 discreet, 7.1 5.1 ddex and 5.1 dtses, 105 watts, price of $768
con:
lame remote, supposedly not as good at music as marantz, not as good build quality

Marantz sr-8000
pro:
better sound overall (especially music),
better build quality (HDAM copper shielding), awesome remote
con:
no ddex or dts es, no 6.1 or 7.1, 5 less watts total power, price $929

If anyone can help me choose based on owning or listening to these units or even reviews you have read about them, it would be greatly appreciated.

I know you are supposed to listen and make the decision that way, but there are no places around here that are demoing the models I am looking for.

Between the dvdtalk alumni and the reviews at audioreview hopefully I can make the best choice.

Thanks for reading this.
I look forward to hearing you opinions.
Old 04-07-01, 08:49 AM

Try a search on this topic. There are countless other posts discussing the same question. Also, there are several similar posts at HomeTheaterForum that might help you decide.

For what it's worth, when I bought my receiver last year, I was deciding between the Marantz 7000 and Denon (what ever was comperable at the time 3800 maybe?) and picked the Marantz because I thought the sound was much better on music and I preferred the more powerful sound on HT. As far as the 5-watt power difference, don't let that be a deciding factor--it makes so little difference.

Good Luck!
Old 04-07-01, 11:37 AM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
I have done a lot of research and decided on the Marantz 8000 for its technical superiority, great sound, and its fantastic remote.

That's an excellent price you have for it. I am willing to bet that it's not from an authorized dealer. Beware of service because Marantz will not stand behind it. Service is left to the dealer.
Old 04-07-01, 09:53 PM

Till last year, Marantz was the (THE) choice.... I have not been actively following the receiver development as I used to b4 ... but all i can say is with Marantz - u cannot go wrong.

I have a friend with Denon 3800 and is also very happy with it. I have heard hissetup and it is comparable to my Marantz. So if Denon has more protection against obsolence....get the Denon ... or if music is ur priority ...get the Marantz.

HTH.
Old 04-07-01, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I would pick the Denon just because of the DD EX and stuff. Music is no big deal to me. But you could be different, of course.
Old 04-07-01, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have had the SR-8000 for a year and LOVE it. You have to ask yourself if you reasonably need more than 5.1 (how much stuff is out there,will be out there, do you want to spend more on the extra speakers..etc)

Both companies make terrific products. I went with the SR-8000 because of it's build and remote over the 7000.

The choice you are considering was not an option when I was looking. However, I wouldn't do a 7.1 setup. My house was prewired for 5.1 and I wouldn't redo it. I listened to both Denon and Marantz and like Marantz more. We do also listen to a fair amount of music.

I think it's a matter of personal preference and what you are going to get out of it.
Old 04-10-01, 12:25 PM

thanks for the responses
right now I am leaning toward the denon, but am still not really sure which to pick.
any other opinions to help me decide are always welcome
thanks again
Old 04-11-01, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

cortan, if you are concerned about $$ and will buy refurb, the 3801 is up at ubid...
Old 04-11-01, 12:25 PM

Don't buy anything right now becuase in the next couple of months a whole slew of receivers will have DPL II. It's supposed be the newest format that is going to a be must have.
Old 04-11-01, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Greg Haynes
Don't buy anything right now becuase in the next couple of months a whole slew of receivers will have DPL II. It's supposed be the newest format that is going to a be must have.
Could someone post a link to some info about DPL2? I thought it was a joke, I have never even heard about it until recently! Thanks
Old 04-11-01, 04:41 PM
BEC

DPLII isn't really a format, more like a really good decoder scheme or DSP, similar to Logic 7 and NEO 6.

It's meant to make stereo/pro-logic material sound like 5.1. It won't do anything for 5.1 material. If you watch/listen to alot of VHS/DBS/LD/CD/non5.1 DVDs, DPLII should come in handy. It should really excel w/music, since the developer (Mr. Fosgate of 6 axis fame) is a real music lover. The DPLII, as implemented on a pre/pro, has a cinema and music mode w/tweakable parameters (center channel width, real channel pan, etc). Kenwood's and Onkyo's rendtions of DPLII may not be as flexible.

Here's a semi-technical professional review:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...c2-3-2001.html

There are some peer reviews over at the "other" forum from people who heard DPLII on pre/pro's:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...&threadid=5938

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...&threadid=4919

Old 04-11-01, 05:06 PM
BEC

Getting back on topic,

I own a Marantz 8000 - an EXCELLENT performer. If you're picky about sound quality and/or build quality, it's a fine choice. Very solid amplifier, very good for more demanding speakers since the amp section is well built. IMO, it has a little more refined sound w/music than a Denon 3300.

Although I have not demoed the 3801, it has the same power supply and type of amplifiers as the 3300. It'll still sound WAY cleaner than a 509S. You get more features w/DTS EX discrete/matrix and NEO6.

The best thing to do is hear them w/your own ears w/your own equipment. If you can't demo/return the receivers, then a show room visit might be worth it.

Just be true to what you want. You might not be that critical about sound quality (or for that matter have a totally different view of what sounds better).
Old 04-11-01, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by BEC
Getting back on topic,

I own a Marantz 8000 - an EXCELLENT performer. If you're picky about sound quality and/or build quality, it's a fine choice. Very solid amplifier, very good for more demanding speakers since the amp section is well built. IMO, it has a little more refined sound w/music than a Denon 3300.

Although I have not demoed the 3801, it has the same power supply and type of amplifiers as the 3300. It'll still sound WAY cleaner than a 509S. You get more features w/DTS EX discrete/matrix and NEO6.

The best thing to do is hear them w/your own ears w/your own equipment. If you can't demo/return the receivers, then a show room visit might be worth it.

Just be true to what you want. You might not be that critical about sound quality (or for that matter have a totally different view of what sounds better).
BEC,

didn't realize (remember) we had the same receiver. I just wanted to reiterate you made some very good points.
Old 04-11-01, 05:49 PM

I would go with the Denon simply for the DD-EX, and DTS-ES suite. Widescreen review gave the 3801 a fantastic review in their April issue. The Denon will protect you if you get bit by the upgrade bug.
Old 04-13-01, 08:58 AM
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just don't forget that EX/ES is only nice if you have the space to place the rear speakers and if you make sure the rear speakers are the same quality as the side. Having said that, I know from own experiences that the Marantz WILL sound better on music than the Denon (at least, if you prefer a warm sound over a digital sound). Maybe your best bet is to wait a few months for new models, which also include DPL2.