Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Center Speaker Problems

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Center Speaker Problems

Old 04-06-01, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi everyone. I just got a Klipsch Center speaker to match the 2 quintets I have, along with a Sony sub. When I adjust the center speaker volume on my receiver, I can hear the "tssssss" noise it makes, along with the "tssssss" noise in all my other speakers, but when I try to play music, I can't hear anything in my center speaker at all. Is the center speaker supposed to play music too? Or is it just for the dialogue in movies or something? The only reason I bought it was to help fill the gap between the high-pitched klipsch quintet mains, which don't produce any mid-sounds and my sony sa-wm40 sub, which is 12" and doesn't seem punchy enough for music. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Mike

PS - I'm a total newbie, I'm just picking little things here and there while reading thru this forum.
Old 04-06-01, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does it work when playing a movie? Depending on what receiver you're using, a CD should only play out of your L/R speakers as that's all stereo is.
Old 04-06-01, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Parsec
Hi everyone. I just got a Klipsch Center speaker to match the 2 quintets I have, along with a Sony sub. When I adjust the center speaker volume on my receiver, I can hear the "tssssss" noise it makes, along with the "tssssss" noise in all my other speakers, but when I try to play music, I can't hear anything in my center speaker at all. Is the center speaker supposed to play music too? Or is it just for the dialogue in movies or something? The only reason I bought it was to help fill the gap between the high-pitched klipsch quintet mains, which don't produce any mid-sounds and my sony sa-wm40 sub, which is 12" and doesn't seem punchy enough for music. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Mike

PS - I'm a total newbie, I'm just picking little things here and there while reading thru this forum.
It depends on what type of music you're listening to. Multi-channel music discs like dts cd's, DVD-A, or even concert type dvds do feature multi-channel music and use the center speaker, but most of your 2 channel music relies on just the mains for everything. (Please note that you can turn on the pro-logic function or whatever simulated surround function your processor may have for 2 channel-music, but for the sake of simplicity, let's assume that we are talking about just using the mains for 2 channel music)

So, in the simplest of terms, you shouldn't be hearing your center speaker when playing music (assuming you are talking about standard cd's, of course).

Old 04-06-01, 04:28 PM

Ahhh, I use this home theater setup mainly for listening to music, and so far, I've been pretty disappointed. Listening to mp3s on my $50 PC speakers sounds much better than listening to real CDs on this home theater setup which costed about $800 for the L/R/C/SW/receiver/cd changer. I'm just looking for any way to make the sound better When I listen to rap music, I can't even hear the words that well because it sounds like the klipsch quintets can't handle the mids.

Mains: 90dB @ 1 watt/1 meter, 100Hz-20kHz±3dB, 100 watts maximum continuous (200 watts peak)

Sub:Built-in amplifier with 120 watts into 8 ohms from 20 Hz - 200 Hz at 0.8% THD, Variable high-cut frequency, 50 - 170 Hz

Shouldn't those specs be good enough for playing music better than a set of $50 2.1 PC speakers?

Mike

[Edited by Parsec on 04-06-01 at 02:36 PM]
Old 04-08-01, 04:49 AM
punkass1276

hey now

ok baby....listen up....you dont even want to hear audio from your center speaker when playing CD's.....just out of your sub and main L and R's. Secondly...if you do want to hear audio from the center speaker, you have to set it up properly on your reciver. Right now you have STEREO applied when you listen to CDs...which is what you should have. Applying PRO LOGIC would then let you hear from your center..although i think it would not sound good.....and last...when you listen to rap and the mains sound bad...this is because you should set yours MAIN front and LEFT spekaers to "SMALL" on your recievr....that was all of the bass will be sent to your sub. thank you
Old 04-10-01, 11:53 AM

Re: hey now

Originally posted by punkass1276
ok baby....listen up....you dont even want to hear audio from your center speaker when playing CD's.....just out of your sub and main L and R's. Secondly...if you do want to hear audio from the center speaker, you have to set it up properly on your reciver. Right now you have STEREO applied when you listen to CDs...which is what you should have. Applying PRO LOGIC would then let you hear from your center..although i think it would not sound good.....and last...when you listen to rap and the mains sound bad...this is because you should set yours MAIN front and LEFT spekaers to "SMALL" on your recievr....that was all of the bass will be sent to your sub. thank you
aww dang, that sucks. I have my mains set to normal size, because the only 2 options are large and normal. Piece of crap Kenwood VR-407!! hehe. Maybe there's a way to change it to small, but its not obvious, and I lost the manual Oh well, thanks for everythin guys.

Mike
Old 04-10-01, 04:13 PM

on kenwood receivers "normal" is the same as "small". I have that receiver with two kenwood JL-730W as my mains and a sony sa-WM40 sub and it sounds great. But, all I have ever owned is kenwood receivers so (this is my third) I am a little bias.