Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

My TIVO upgraded to 2.0.1

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

My TIVO upgraded to 2.0.1

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-01, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I see people signing up at http://www.tivocommunity.com to be on some list to get the latest version of TIVO. Well, I didn't sign up for anything and when I turned on my TV today, I was surprised that the TIVO interface looked different. Sure enough, the new version was pushed to my TIVO this morning. I'd just like to say that the new version is incredible! I have an upgraded TIVO with a second hard drive I installed. When I switched to my recorded programs screen, sometimes it would take as much as a minute or more to show all the programs recorded. Now when I go to this screen, it pops up instantaneously. I haven't noticed all the changes yet, but those I have seen are a welcome improvement. I lost 5 hours and 15 minutes of basic recording ability with this updated version, but I am much happier with the GUI and the speed at which stuff executes. As the upgrades kick in, long live 2.0.1!
Old 03-27-01, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I was one of the original Beta users and have had the 2.0.1 Beta since December and it definitely rocks. A lot of cool features were missing from 1.3 have been added plus it is now comprable to the functionality of Replay TV.
Old 03-27-01, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
What are the new features??

I read on a hack forum that the new version 2.* will close the hole that allows us to hack the system. So, I canceled my subscription.

But is the new version worth it.

I for one would like to see "instant record." like the (oh I don't want to say it...) VCRs have. (i.e. I could press the record button once for a 0:30min timer 2x to record for 1hr 3x for 1 1/2 hrs etc. This is great if a show started late and the Tivo timer is off.

thanks
Old 03-27-01, 02:54 PM

I hope TIVO doesn't disable the hack. I love the added capacity of my 81 45-minute hour TIVO. I haven't had a chance to really play with it to notice all the upgrades in the new version. I found it harder to skip past commercials.. that's what I thought my leg was being pulled until I saw in the message and setup that I had the new version pushed on my machine.

The difference from clicking to the recorded programs is super instant now. I don't know if it was the hack I used to put the second drive in, but with that second drive in there, it really did literally take a minute or slightly more sometimes to bring up the screen with all my recorded shows. Now it is instant. I click my TIVO man button and click immediately into all the shows. The menus respond like a champ also for these screens.

I don't think TIVO would eliminate the hack for dual drives. It doesn't hurt them any if I can hold more programs at once.. unless they planned to be the sole upgrade source for adding second drives?!?

The worst that could happen is my TIVO box eventually dies, but I didn't pay for my TIVO anyway (won it) and also the hard drives can be used elsewhere. That's why I didn;t buy the unlimited subscription.

I'll post and see what other improvements I notice like those recording options you ask about. The upgrade so far has been a nice present for me.

[Edited by BenCJedi on 03-27-01 at 12:57 PM]
Old 03-28-01, 04:18 PM
BT
DVD Talk Special Edition

Z19 or Z16 or whatever....

TiVo officially rolled out 2.0.1 (aka Z16 or Z19) last weekend. Most every TiVo subscriber should have 2.0.1 by now. Personally, I love it, and if you check out the TiVo Forum, most everyone there has nothing but good to say about the improvements over 1.3

And contrary to what you may think, 2.0.1 does not disable the ability to "hack" your TiVo by adding a second drive. Many people have been waiting for the release of 2.0 before adding a second drive (myself included). There have been few if any ill side-effects for upgraded TiVos with 2.0.

So to all who are considering buying a TiVo, go for it! You won't be disappointed.

-BT
(An avid member of the TiVolution)
Old 03-28-01, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

OK Flame a newbie if youd like but what is a TIVO? Sorry for being stupid.

Old 03-28-01, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
They haven't changed mine to 2.0.1 yet.

Of course it took them a week to change my channel lineup when my cable system had a major overhaul recently.
Old 03-30-01, 09:36 AM
Cool New Member

Weren't you supposed to unupgrade your system for the 2.0 upgrade? Or did you do that, and now it upgraded to 2.0.1?
Old 03-30-01, 12:25 PM

how would i go about upgrading my tivo to the 2.0, does it happen automatically or do i have to take initive
Old 03-30-01, 06:10 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just got back from going home for spring break, and my Tivo had upgraded to 2.01. I never signed up for anything, so it is automatic. I didn't lose any recording time either, unlike the thread starter. I was somewhat concerned when I read that as I only have a 14hr model and use the good quality setting and get 6.5 hours. It's pretty much enough for me as I don't watch a whole lot of tv and tend to watch and delete my stuff pretty quickly. But still I didn't want to lose any more of my precious space.
Old 03-31-01, 12:02 PM

Originally posted by apocal
Weren't you supposed to unupgrade your system for the 2.0 upgrade? Or did you do that, and now it upgraded to 2.0.1?
No - Its cool to have an upgraded unit be upgraded to 2.0.1. I did.

-Mike
Old 03-31-01, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Just looked on the TiVo site and it says everyone with active service gets the upgrades and that it is done in random order. It can take a few weeks for everyone to get it.

Still waiting patiently for mine.
Old 04-02-01, 07:40 AM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by joshhinkle
I didn't lose any recording time either, unlike the thread starter. I was somewhat concerned when I read that as I only have a 14hr model and use the good quality setting and get 6.5 hours.
I believe those who have upgraded lose hours on their units. The unupgraded ones should be fine.
Old 04-02-01, 04:20 PM
BT
DVD Talk Special Edition

TiVo!

Originally posted by adia4625
OK Flame a newbie if youd like but what is a TIVO? Sorry for being stupid.

No one is going to flame you for asking a good question!

TiVo is one of a breed of "Personal Video Recorders" or "PVRs" that is on the market today. Essentially it is a computer hard drive running on Linux that allows you to digitally tape your TV shows like a VCR. TiVo machines allow you to store anywhere from 14hrs of TV to 60hrs and beyond (depending on whether or not you "hack" your TiVo, which is basically adding a larger-capacity hard-drive). Go check out http://www.tivo.com for a better explanation!

Hope that helps!

-BT
Old 04-12-01, 05:34 PM
Banned

Arrgh!

I put my request in over a week ago and still no 2.0 or 2.1. :-(

Anyone else in Los Angeles get there update yet?