Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

CD/DVD Enhancements-Are they worth it?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

CD/DVD Enhancements-Are they worth it?

Old 03-24-01, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was checking out Audio Advisor's catalog,and I noticed
they had several cd/dvd enhancements,such as an Audioprism
CD Mat,and a Marigo Crossbow DVD Mat. Both mats,when
placed on top of a cd/dvd during normal playback,promised immeditate improvement in sound/picture quality. Do these things really work? I mean,is it worth paying $40 to $80 bucks a pop for these mats? I don't want to buy one only
to find out the improvement is minor at best.
Old 03-26-01, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The serious answer is that any external tweak such as placing a mat on top of your CD/DVD player is going to be minor at best. There is an outside chance that reducing vibration could reduce jitter and other problems I guess.

My personal opinion is that these sorts of things are based on a placebo effect and are not worth the ridiculous prices. If you believe an $80 mat placed on top of your CD/DVD player will improve performance, then I would like to sell you: a CD demagnetizer, green felt pens, X-ray specs, the deed to the Brooklyn Bridge, and an authentic alien autopsy video.

IMHO, you'd be better off investing that $80 in a better DVD player than on a rubber mat. If you have a top of the line player and want to spend more money tweaking it, then go ahead and buy the mat.